Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2012, 21:45   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Safety at Sea

A surprising lack of female responses here. My ex had a handy little plastic gismo that allowed her to relieve herself overboard or in to a bottle by just unzipping her fly. She used to have a great laugh at other women who felt compelled to go below to do their 'business' while she just let fly overboard. She used it reguarly sailing offshore and 'wouldn't leave home without it'.
We always had a cut down bleach bottle in the cockpit if either of us needed to use it at night or if the wind kicked up. I think West Marine sold them in the 80's. Phil

Old 23-10-2012, 21:50   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You can get an adapter for women for the Little John. That was probably what she had or something similar.

Old 23-10-2012, 22:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yup. I'm a pretty safe guy but some of the rules that people have on boats are why no one wants to sail with them. Relax, take a piss with your arm crooked around a cap shroud. You can slip and smash your head in the cockpit just walking around, danger is everywhere. If it's bumping and thumping that's a different story, but in benign conditions yes: it's okay to just sit there unclipped with no pfd and relax.

I really can't believe there are people who stay tethered to their boat the entire time they are offshore. Seems really nuts to me. As nuts as someone who would never be tethered.

Well said! I'm with you and ozskipper. Having safety procedures for various circumstances, using PFD's, tethers, jacklines, practising MOB drill regularly under full sail, etc is all good and necessary BUT before any of that, you need to be able to move around your boat competently & confidently without that stuff or you shouldn't be offshore in the first place. The first thing I do with new crew/guests aboard is demonstrate how to move around the boat safely and with confidence. Then I show them the safety equipment and lay down the law on safety procedures - all before heading out, of course....

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 22:15   #34

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Snip

I really can't believe there are people who stay tethered to their boat the entire time they are offshore. Seems really nuts to me. As nuts as someone who would never be tethered.
I agree. I sailed all the way to NZ from QLD and only wore the harness and PFD at night and bad weather.

Then again, I once sailed from Sydney to Gosford (7 hours) and wore a PFD the entire time. The difference being, 25-30 knots on the nose, me and one inexperienced crew, small 8 metre boat. So there are times when its common sense and times when we over indulge ourselves and complicate our lives in the name of safety.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 23:22   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
Well said! I'm with you and ozskipper. Having safety procedures for various circumstances, using PFD's, tethers, jacklines, practising MOB drill regularly under full sail, etc is all good and necessary BUT before any of that, you need to be able to move around your boat competently & confidently without that stuff or you shouldn't be offshore in the first place. The first thing I do with new crew/guests aboard is demonstrate how to move around the boat safely and with confidence. Then I show them the safety equipment and lay down the law on safety procedures - all before heading out, of course....

I think it's a lot like reefing. You don't leave the dock on a calm day with a good weather forecast with reefs already put in, but many people say to put that reef in the first time it crosses your mind. If it's getting rough, and you have to go up to the mast during the reefing, that's also a good time to be tethered...
Old 23-10-2012, 23:31   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Batten the hatches.
Old 23-10-2012, 23:41   #37
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Batten the hatches.

We had a boat sink here a couple of years ago in the "Good Old Boat" race because the conditions were rough and they forgot to close the forward hatch after passing a sail up. Then when the nose went down and the spinnaker (I think, might have been a Genny) picked up water, lots of water poured rapidly into the boat and that was that.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:25   #38

Boat: 41' Sail

Reef early. Force yourself to sleep off watch in the day time. Reef early. Discuss safety rules with all on board. No one forward of cockpit at any time w/o another on deck. Reef early. Discuss MOB proceedures in great length as to your plan to stop and recover MOB. Take Safety as Sea Seminar with US Sailing. Reef early. Pee bottle in cockpit. Carry personal flashlight. Wear the gear that can save your life when YOU feel threatened. Reef early. Practice moving around your boat at night. Jack lines led so they keep you on the boat and not draggin. Clip on/in when YOU feel threatened. Reef early -Cheers!
Old 24-10-2012, 21:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper

I agree. I sailed all the way to NZ from QLD and only wore the harness and PFD at night and bad weather.

Then again, I once sailed from Sydney to Gosford (7 hours) and wore a PFD the entire time. The difference being, 25-30 knots on the nose, me and one inexperienced crew, small 8 metre boat. So there are times when its common sense and times when we over indulge ourselves and complicate our lives in the name of safety.
+1. That says it all. It comes down to being smart. You know when to add the extra safety. I agree with Surfer Girl, I feel comfortable moving around the deck and move easily- so when you have to go forward in bad weather you move confidently & securely-and while tethered. Gloria
Old 25-10-2012, 08:43   #40

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Capt Jeff has it covered++ Phil
Old 25-10-2012, 09:35   #41

Boat: 41' Sail

A long time ago, I learned from a very successfull delivery/race skipper/tactician/weather guru a valuable lesson. Each and every time I deliver a boat, I put a reef in the main. It doesn't come out until I am at my final destination. The speed I lose is not a factor. Has served me and the boats I deliver well for many years!
Recreational sailing aboard my own boat is handled based on weather conditions.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:31   #42
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safety at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
A long time ago, I learned from a very successfull delivery/race skipper/tactician/weather guru a valuable lesson. Each and every time I deliver a boat, I put a reef in the main. It doesn't come out until I am at my final destination. The speed I lose is not a factor. Has served me and the boats I deliver well for many years!
Recreational sailing aboard my own boat is handled based on weather conditions.
Try telling that to owners who want to meet 'their' ETA's... breaking gear in the process, Argue and you get "its MY boat" and then they try n blame you...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:34   #43
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Try telling that to owners who want to meet 'their' ETA's... breaking gear in the process, Argue and you get "its MY boat" and then they try n blame you...

And just how would you know this?
Old 25-10-2012, 10:39   #44
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safety at Sea

Happened to a very close friend of mine....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:42   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It's getting a little off topic, but you just say no to those boats. My boss at a charter shop (and a very experienced delivery guy) had the attitude of "these are my terms, if you don't like them, feel free to find someone else" and really stuck to his guns.

It helped that he had the charter business going that he managed. If you're just doing deliveries it's going to force you into some rather tight situations.

Tags
safety

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: