Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39   #46

Re: s/v Irvmiren - Swan 68 sinks, 6 rescued

I really doubt that any thru hull was not accessible due to cabinetry as this was a stick built boat so the hull would be completely accessible below the water line. Boats built with liners are the ones that are sometimes very difficult to get at, work on thru hulls and find leaks.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:58   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I really doubt that any thru hull was not accessible due to cabinetry as this was a stick built boat so the hull would be completely accessible below the water line. Boats built with liners are the ones that are sometimes very difficult to get at, work on thru hulls and find leaks.
I'm wondering how deep the bilge was on this boat? Did it have a high water alarm giving the crew/passengers a heads up? Or was water coming over the floorboards the first sign of trouble? Which naturally would panic a lot of people and make finding the leak(s) more difficult.

Old 04-06-2014, 13:43   #48

Irvmiren was towed to Lewes,DE(still waiting for details why not to Cape May), to Walsh's Boat yard, with assistance there by Jimmy Phillips of Philips Marine..From my vantage point, the scuttle was on Friday that Walsh's attempted to haul the boat, with two of the original crew on board..and that failed (due to weight) still unconfirmed..then in this some say shallow canal..she attempted to pull across the canal to the Town dock,where she promptly ran aground,,smack in the middle of the waterway causing even more angst. Then Saturday she is pulled off early morning high tide,and MOnday the entire contents removed and cleaned,dried out.The crew would not discuss the near sinking, choosing to complain only about being given bogus draft depth info in the canal..more to come
Old 04-06-2014, 13:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougher View Post
Irvmiren was towed to Lewes,DE(still waiting for details why not to Cape May), to Walsh's Boat yard, with assistance there by Jimmy Phillips of Philips Marine..From my vantage point, the scuttle was on Friday that Walsh's attempted to haul the boat, with two of the original crew on board..and that failed (due to weight) still unconfirmed..then in this some say shallow canal..she attempted to pull across the canal to the Town dock,where she promptly ran aground,,smack in the middle of the waterway causing even more angst. Then Saturday she is pulled off early morning high tide,and MOnday the entire contents removed and cleaned,dried out.The crew would not discuss the near sinking, choosing to complain only about being given bogus draft depth info in the canal..more to come
Dougher:

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it's still not out in the Atlantic causing possible mayhem to other vessels. Due to the last position reported I would have thought they would bring it into Ocean City Maryland. Looking forward to more updates. Especially what caused the near sinking.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06   #50

Here is some more info and pictures of the Irvmiren floating nicely at the dock:
Sailboat makes emergency stop in Lewes - By Ron MacArthur - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
I was thinking she might have been struck by lightning on the night before the EPIRB was activated. I was in Washington D.C. on Wednesday May 28th and we had a front come through with severe and frequent lightning. If she was off the coast that Wednesday I was thinking she might have been struck by lightning which could have created openings in the hull. But, since she now looks pretty good for a boat that was sinking not to long ago I doubt that was the case. Still wonder what was the problem.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:42   #51
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Here is some more info and pictures of the Irvmiren floating nicely at the dock
She's pretty!
Old 06-06-2014, 13:50   #52
jrp

the last line in the link states the vessel was still afloat on Thursday. Maybe a bit of optimism is warranted...
Old 29-06-2014, 08:37   #53
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

There was one more on board unaccounted for, his name was Murphy. I assure you he got off safely and is looking for another unsuspecting sailor....

BZT
Old 29-06-2014, 17:21   #54

Anyone have any updated info on the Irvmiren? Is it still in Lewes? Cause of the "sinking"?
Old 30-06-2014, 13:35   #55

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
There was one more on board unaccounted for, his name was Murphy. I assure you he got off safely and is looking for another unsuspecting sailor....

BZT
Thats a rather interesting comment. What Sir are you implying?
Old 30-06-2014, 14:50   #56

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Murphy's Law was on board======
Old 30-06-2014, 14:53   #57
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy has an affinity for those sailors who choose to venture off on craft unsuitable for blue water cruising. This is not to say that the Swan was not a blue water boat. It was a lot of boat with a lot of systems that could go wrong.

Murphy had his pick....

BZT
PS Btw one of the best terminal cases of Murphy is Redford's movie "All is Lost", even if it is only fiction.
Old 30-06-2014, 23:47   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy has an affinity for those sailors who choose to venture off on craft unsuitable for blue water cruising. This is not to say that the Swan was not a blue water boat. It was a lot of boat with a lot of systems that could go wrong.

Murphy had his pick....

BZT
PS Btw one of the best terminal cases of Murphy is Redford's movie "All is Lost", even if it is only fiction.
For the historically minded - Murphy's law was formulated by Edwin Murphy, an engineer at the boeing corporation who put a sign on the wall behind his desk saying

"if anything can go wrong - it will go wrong" The saying grew so popular at boeing that it eventually became a folk saying.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37   #59
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
For the historically minded - Murphy's law was formulated by Edwin Murphy, an engineer at the boeing corporation who put a sign on the wall behind his desk saying

"if anything can go wrong - it will go wrong" The saying grew so popular at boeing that it eventually became a folk saying.
...actually, the original quote comes from the proceedings of an American Engineering Society meeting in 1877 and is attributed to Albert Holt.

The "Murphy's law" namesake was attributed to Capt. Ed Murphy, a development engineer from Wright Field Aircraft Lab, who in 1949 was reported as continually complaining about mis-wired strain gauge bridges. When referring to the lab technician who performed the poor work again and again he said, "If there is any way to do it wrong, he will". This quote eventually ended up being paraphrased by various associated engineers and companies, Boeing being one of them.
Old 02-07-2014, 00:18   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
...actually, the original quote comes from the proceedings of an American Engineering Society meeting in 1877 and is attributed to Albert Holt.

The "Murphy's law" namesake was attributed to Capt. Ed Murphy, a development engineer from Wright Field Aircraft Lab, who in 1949 was reported as continually complaining about mis-wired strain gauge bridges. When referring to the lab technician who performed the poor work again and again he said, "If there is any way to do it wrong, he will". This quote eventually ended up being paraphrased by various associated engineers and companies, Boeing being one of them.
I bow and acknowledge to wikipedia. I'd always heard it came from a boeing engineer.

I stand corrected.

Tags
rescue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: