Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 06:34   #31

One suggestion that I didn't see posted is that the proper angle is needed leading the furling line to the drum. I changed that angle last year and I was surprised to see how much easier it was to furl the jib with my pro furl. Look at the manual for the furling gear to see what they recommend since I don't remember the angle.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 12:21   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Furling Line should enter the drum "fair" - ideally at 90 degrees to the luff. This is achieved by adjusting the position of the furling line block or fairlead closest to the furling drum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 19:42   #33

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy Gord. What about the amount of line on the drum when the genoa is fully out, the po has left about 12 turns on the drum and its chockers when furled up, how much should I reduce it to?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 29-04-2010, 19:52   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Best practice is to furl before the squall hits. We all get this wrong the first time by not furling enough soon enough. It should only take one squall to remedy that proclivity.

The surest sign of a rookie skipper is getting caught overcanvased in a squall. The surest sign of rookie crew is donning foulies prior to shortening sail.
Old 29-04-2010, 19:57   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy Gord. What about the amount of line on the drum when the genoa is fully out, the po has left about 12 turns on the drum and its chockers when furled up, how much should I reduce it to?
Cheers from Keith.
I am not Gord and don't play him on TV but...

You could take a few wraps off but be cautious. I did that and then in a blow, when the genny wrapped tighter than usual, ran out of line.

Make sure you have a few wraps left with the tightest expected wrapping of the genny.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 10:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
What about the amount of line on the drum when the genoa is fully out, the po has left about 12 turns on the drum and its chockers when furled up, how much should I reduce it to?
Cheers from Keith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You could take a few wraps off but be cautious. I did that and then in a blow, when the genny wrapped tighter than usual, ran out of line.
Make sure you have a few wraps left with the tightest expected wrapping of the genny.
As noted, it depends, but 12 turns is too many.
I wrapped so that I had (?about?) 1.5 to 2 turns on an empty drum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:33   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I have a CDI fuller on Turtle and find for me it is easiest to come up INTO the wind and as soon as the sail just starts to luff start pulling on the furling line rolling up some sail and then falling off again. I always seem to furl a bit to much and have to ease a bit back out.

Better than the reverse I guess.

If I was on a beam reach I would ease the sheet untill I could haul on the furling line.

According to CDIs manual and guarantee the foil will not twist even if you winch against it. I've only done that once and it worked quite well although I find it easier to put my back into it and haul it by hand.

Of course my genny is only about 150sf so not much of a battle.

As has been mentioned here having your furling line run "fair" is very important. I have seen a couple of instalations that have made me scratch my head in wonder.

I just finished reading that some roller furlers are NOT designed to be used to reef the jib. See I learn something new here even when I'm not trying............m

Tags
roller furling