Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 09:09   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Roller Furl 'Safety' ?

A buddy just told me about having his Genoa roller furling slip while reefed. He says it went out to 130% in an instant in 30 kt winds. He didn't dump it over, but said it was close to 60 degree heel!.

So I got to thinking (scary stuff there)..... has anyone ever "safetied" the roller with something other than the roller line? Methinks I'm going to look at a small piece of wire rope with an eye and shackle on each end; one fast to a pad eye on the deck, the other to the drum, near the foot shackle. The most it would allow would be 1/2 a turn.

The downside I see is that it would require a trip forward in possibly nasty weather.
Old 18-11-2010, 09:17   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
How did your buddies sail unfurl? Did the line snap? Was it not made fast properly? Was it in a clutch that blew? I think you're going to a lot of trouble for nothing. Not to mention having to go forward in bad weather. If the line is made fast properly and is in good condition you should not worry about an "accidental" unfurling. Anyway if it does go just dump the sheet. Your "safety" line will need to be undone if you want to furl the sail a bit more if the weather continues to kick up.
Old 18-11-2010, 09:25   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm with Rick and suggest you forget going foreward if the going is rough.

But if you do want back up (when it is safe to go foreward or even when docked) get a 2" wide velco sewn to each side of a 2.5" wide piece of webbing, maybe 2 or 3 feet long (long enough to wrap a few times round the furled sail).

We had one so we could drop the sheets down into our anchor locker and keep them from the sun - it works fine and if you do use it in a breeze, its not going to knock your head off!

JOHN
Old 18-11-2010, 09:25   #4
CLOD

Boat: none
I've had my furling line snap and the genny roll out in rough conditions. Exciting stuff! In the end because we were low on fuel I went up forward and rolled it in by hand, and then tied the line off to the bow.

But I don't think I would ever want a "safety" line that required me to go forward each time. If need be I would always like to be able to release the line etc.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 10:20   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A snapped line is either worn, or to small. Which is not the furlers fault.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 10:27   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
A snapped line is either worn, or to small. Which is not the furlers fault.......i2f

If this was aimed at me; I never said otherwise (worn). That line would let that sail rip apart before it ever could give way.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 10:41   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
A furler can always be looked as a racer's foil; at worst the sail can be lowered and bagged. Not as easy as hanks, but not so bad. Probably safer than trying to re-wind the furler. If it does not come down easily, there are other problems.

I have also heard of the line slipping because it was a smaller line placed in a larger jammer. That is a part of why many sailors like larger line with a portion of the core stripped out.

This is certainly a line to replace as a preventative measure.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:25   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
FWIW,

The NZed built Reef-Rite furler has a built in pawl (like in a winch) in the drum. The pawl takes all the load of a reefed sail, leaving no load on the furling line. A separate small line lead to a tiny Highfield lever releases the pawl when you un-furl the sail.

All in all an extremely robust bit of kit, and it removes this particular worry.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly Qld Oz southbound
Old 18-11-2010, 12:02   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Harken furlers have a hole in the furler reel and cage. Line them up and drop a clevis pin in and it is locked. Of course you have to go forward to take the pin out to adjust it again. I use it during the windy season when I'm away from the boat for longer periods of time.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 12:26   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

The downside I see is that it would require a trip forward in possibly nasty weather.
And that's what sailing is all about, 'an assumption of risk'!
We've all had our moments when things get rough and if one is not willing to deal with it then it's just better to stay at the dock, especially if they are not going to do the maintenance.
Some like sky diving, others bungee jumping, I like sailing. It all takes inspections and knowing your equipment. If one is not willing to do the upkeep then they get what they deserve! They're only cheating themselves. ......................._/)
Old 18-11-2010, 14:31   #11

Don't use the furler to reef, fly the right size jib. That way it is either open or rolled.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 14:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Harken furlers have a hole in the furler reel and cage. Line them up and drop a clevis pin in and it is locked ...
I used it to lock a fully furled headsail; along with multiple wraps of the sheets.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 15:04   #13
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Don't use the furler to reef, fly the right size jib. That way it is either open or rolled.
Really? Who carries different size sails if they run a furler? You might as well go with hanks - easier to raise and lower.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:29   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Don Lucas it wasn't aimed at anyone it is a fact, simple as that.

RTB,

Yours truly has a couple of different headsails for this reason. Having the cutter rig helps in keeping from going forward. Also a short reef in a furler is fine if the sail is built for it, not perfect, but fine.a cruisers outlook, not a racer.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:46   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Really? Who carries different size sails if they run a furler? You might as well go with hanks - easier to raise and lower.
I do. If there's too much wind for the 110, I use an 85%. It points much better than the furled 110.

I'm pretty sure I can raise either sail much more quickly than it would take to hank on comparably sized sails.

Tags
safety