Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2009, 20:07   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Olden days" refers to the really "olden boats" like the Triton. The plexiglass side window and hatches, ports is probably lost a lots of original strength due to age. New boats have better materials and mounting systems that can usually withstand heavy seas impacts better than 30+ year old plexiglass.

Old 12-09-2009, 20:36   #47
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
"Olden days" refers to the really "olden boats" like the Triton. The plexiglass side window and hatches, ports is probably lost a lots of original strength due to age. New boats have better materials and mounting systems that can usually withstand heavy seas impacts better than 30+ year old plexiglass.
New plexi can fail too. It's still a fairly common incident in heavy weather. When we replaced our (rather small) ports we went with 1/4" tempered and have provisions for storm covers- belt 'n suspenders.

Old brittle plexi is just a hazard .

Old 12-09-2009, 22:30   #48

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you were prepared for it, it was not rogue.
Interestingly, I have read a study, based on satellite photography sources, where they prove that both the size (height) and the 'it came from impreditable direction' legends were put to grave (let's hope). Objectively, the only wave that is out of the range of normal wave physics is the tsunami then.
I do not think this is the case. First, the existence of "Rogue Waves" was just recently established. I believe the first scientific proof was from a north sea platform in 1995:

I think the study you are referring to is the MaxWave project. Their findings are quite different from what you suggest: http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PubServices/2005pdfs/Rosenthal.pdf

Finally, the Deadliest Catch actually caught a wave on video that was both larger than the ambient wave train significant height and came from a different direction:
Old 12-09-2009, 22:49   #49

Boat: Any time now!
Almost looks like he is quartering, almost abeam to the waves there. Dangerous? Hard to tell but it looks like the wind is blowing from starboard.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 00:28   #50
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I believe the first scientific proof was from a north sea platform in 1995:

a wave on video that was both larger than the ambient wave train significant height and came from a different direction
There has been quite a lot solid observation of large waves for much longer than that. Just for example: "1933 in the North Pacific, the US Navy transport USS Ramapo triangulated a rogue wave at thirty-four meters in height. 1942, the RMS Queen Mary was hit by a twenty-three meter wave (it stove in ports at that height)."

But those sort of experiences did not produce the sort of statistical data scientists need to develop new waves models. That started happening first when the 'hurricane hunter' planes were fitted with radar which could measure wave height. In the 1980's there was a hurricane hunter that measured wave heights in an Atlantic storm and the data suggested there were 10x more large waves (greater than 2x sig height) than predicted by the then current linear model (Ralyeigh distribution). Since then there has been a whole host of statistical measurements from oil rigs and satellites showing basically the same thing - 10x more waves than predicted by the standard linear model. So the science has moved on to using non-linear models that have a higher tail frequency.

As to rogue wave direction, the science I have seen suggests most, but not all, follow the same general direction as the underlying wave train. That is the direction of wave energy flow. I believe this is the case in that fishing video. It looks to me like the captain is quartering the waves (he is definitely not powering directly into them) and the big wave came from the same stb quarter. This is certaintly our own experience, and what you see in the very good video of the sydney to hobart storm (probably the best recently filmed large waves).

Tags
rogue wave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: