Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 16:01   #31

Boat: Moitessier designed Joshua 40
Re: Rigging an asymmetrical spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Jalmberg,
If your foredeck is as complicate as you avatar indicates you may want to bag the kite and re run the sheet. Our deck has four stay, cutter stay lower stay. Pulling a spin set and spinnaker through is a likely tangle. Taking it around the bow might twist the retriever line in the sock. For running way off we use a pole and rig it traditionally.

Run your sheet to make the sail fly correctly. This is probably not to the stern especially on a Ketch. Ours sheets about mid ship. The code zero below sheets and flies much like an AS.

Yes, we have a jib on roller furler, and extra stay for hank-on jib, plus staysail, etc.

I've only played with it once, but the optimum sheeting angle is definitely close to midships.

Thanks for your insights!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:04   #32

Wether you want to run one sheet or two depends on how you sail the boat. Are you making many miles on one tack and are willing to douse the chute and bring the sheet to the new side before re-setting, the simplest way? Or are you jibing frequently? If the later, it is much easier to gybe the chute than tack it through the very narrow slot in front of the headstay. Tack or gybe you will have to deal with the main and the lazy sheet at essentially the same time. Crew and practice or single handed and lot's of practice is what you will need.

rbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:49   #33

My asymmetric was new at the beginning of our racing season. We did 17 races and used it on all but one race. We rig outside. Tried inside once and ripped it. $50 repair and good as new. We ran over the lazy sheet I think four times even with crew assigned to keep it out of the water. Largest problem was rotating crew and no practice days. Running over the sheet is called flossing the keel. On the last race we ran wing on wing jibing the main and keeping the Spinnaker on the same side. I think that will be our preferred method but we sail in SF Bay so not sure I would do that offshore as it really is ddw.

As others have said, each sheet needs to be at least twice the length assuming it is run to the stern as is normal.

There is an excellent video on YouTube on jibing a Spinnaker https://youtu.be/uZIR24FW1BA

Also, if you do jibe and need to take it down on the opposite side to where you raised it, you need to take the control lines around the forestay. That may be difficult on your boat with that bowsprit and that may be another reason for only one sheet. By that I mean it might just be near impossible to do anything other than stuff it, rerig, and raise it on he new tack.
allene222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 23:55   #34

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Hi, John! Great to bump into you here. So nice spending time with H & you in Solomon's earlier this year.

We've been experimenting with our gennaker, too. Single best guide I've found is this video from North Sails:

Yes, it's a bit strange at first picturing everything "on the outside", but it all becomes obvious after you've done it once or twice. Just one additional tip: after running the sheets through the cockpit blocks, tie stopper knots!

With just 2 of us onboard, when gybing, we use the autopilot to steer the stern through the wind, one of us on the mainsheet (doing better than the folks in the video, for sure), and one on the gennaker sheets.

Really, though, you don't need the autopilot. You can take things in sequence:
center the boom first, then put the rudder over, then gybe the gennaker. A low rudder angle will give you time to sheet the gennaker on the new side before completing the turn. Note that any drop in boat speed (and the accompanying increase in apparent wind) actually helps the gennaker get 'round. Just make sure the lazy sheet is hooked on that "thumb" before starting the gybe. See you out there...

PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal, rigging, spinnaker