Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 22:57   #1

Boat: Formosa 56; "Wandering Rose II"; Tanzer, 7.5, 26, Wandering Rose
Rig for Singlehanded Sailing

Picked up a Tanzer 26 with standing rigging only. Looking for ideas on rigging for singlehanded sailing; and thoughts?
Captaintr2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 23:49   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
I have roller furling jib,jack lines and all lines to cockpit.Autopilpts are handy.Windlass operated from cockpit.Good luck marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 00:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
As Marc says buy an auto pilot, have a look at the Raymarine ST1000 and ST2000 series. We love ours as it is simple to fit and use and enables you to play with the sails whilst maintaining a straight course.

Ours brought us safely across the English Channel for 14 hours on Sunday evening freeing up Viv and I to keep a good look out but not be a slave to the compass. We would like a spare one just incase

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:05   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Boom furlers are nice for singlehanding. You reef from the cockpit and never have to mess with sail ties, sail covers, etc.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
When I go solo, I find an autopilot to be the single biggest aid. Other things I appreciate more when I go solo: roller furling, lines led to cockpit, sail bag, self tailing winches. I'd love to have a windlass control at the helm. Getting the anchor up in a blow, is perhaps my biggest challenge when going solo.

If I sailed offshore, I'm sure I'd add radar to the list.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
getting the anchor up in the wind is perhaps the greatest challenge. I like to raise the main, tie it close hauled and slowly raise the anchor as my boat tacks up on it. Its best to have lots of room from shore and other boats when you do this.
I also use sheet to tiller steering when soloing. Don't trust electric autopilots, but I always allow alot of time to get there.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 18:08   #7

Re: Rig for Singlehanded Sailing

Thank you
randalhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 04:53   #8

Boat: Catalina 22

Lots of good singlehanding info here
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rig for Singlehanded Sailing

When you get your new auto pilot consider a remote commander... keeps you in control from the bow while changing sail, hauling the hook, bottom watching in tricky shallows....
and if your like me and sit on the top step of the companionway when keeping watch... so much warmer and comfortable than the cockpit
saves time jumping up and fumbling about if you see something at the last moment...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 23:40   #10

Boat: Oyster 53

If you plan long passages a good windvane, like the Monitor, is a great investment. On a smaller boat you may not have the power requirements to keep the autopilot going for long.
Sitting in the companionway was my favorite spot too, on my Cape Dory 33. The Monitor kept her going like a train on tracks and the harder it blew the straighter she sailed (and the more I hid down below).
Cheers.
Dhillen
Old 28-10-2011, 14:53   #11

Boat: Bristol 38.8

1. windvane
2. Autopilot to use when motoring. Solar panel to keep it running.
3. Self-tacking jib (optional)
4. All control lines back to the cockpit
5. Electric Windlass with controls in the cockpit
6. Strong attachment points in the cockpit points for a safety harness and a good set of jack lines.

Good boathook. The anchor isn't my biggest challenge. I can get that up with the electric windlass, even in a blow. My biggest challenge is picking up a mooring solo in a crowded anchorage, especially if there is any sort of current running.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:32   #12

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Depends what kind of singlehanding you are doing; racing, cruising in protected waters or crossing an ocean - each one will require different things.

At a minimum, all lines leading to cockpit and a roller furling headsail. Reefing the main is not a big consideration on a Tanzer since the main is pretty small to start with, at least on a 7.5 maybe the 26 is different. Reefing the genoa is far more important.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good boathook. The anchor isn't my biggest challenge. I can get that up with the electric windlass, even in a blow. My biggest challenge is picking up a mooring solo in a crowded anchorage, especially if there is any sort of current running.
If it's a swinging mooring - pick it up from the cockpit. Don't matter if the boat is hanging backwards (or sideways!) until you get sorted.....boat not going anywhere. No prizes handed out for style anyway

On the singlehanded stuff:-

1) Autopilot (mostly to keep her on track whilst you do other stuff - working on deck or putting the kettle on ).
2) Lazy Jacks (means the main does not get spread all over the deck).

Anything else is (for me) on the nice to have list:-

1) R/R foresail (saves a bit of work on a bouncy foredeck - at 26' will be a bit of that!).
2) Main Halyard led back to cockpit (so can quickly douse the Mainsail).
3) boom strut (possibly just me, but I find the topping lift a PITA).

Can't really think of anything else Singlehanded specific......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Autopilot, windvane, electric windlass? Why would he need all that (expensive!) stuff on a 26 footer?

I made a "autopilot" out of a 40" length of 3/16" cording and two bungie cords. Attach the cord to the tiller with a clove hitch, and attach each end to a bungie cord lead from the aft deck cleats. I could turn into the wind with the outboard on slow, set the tiller by slacking, then tightening the clove hitch, and walk to the mast to raise or lower the main. It worked pretty well under sail, too.

A roller furling jib is essential for single-handing. Lines led to the cockpit and lazy jacks are a "convenience". All that other stuff isn't really needed. Spend the money on a good handheld GPS and electronic charts.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:34   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If it's a swinging mooring - pick it up from the cockpit. Don't matter if the boat is hanging backwards (or sideways!) until you get sorted.....boat not going anywhere. No prizes handed out for style anyway

On the singlehanded stuff:-

1) Autopilot (mostly to keep her on track whilst you do other stuff - working on deck or putting the kettle on ).
2) Lazy Jacks (means the main does not get spread all over the deck).

Anything else is (for me) on the nice to have list:-

1) R/R foresail (saves a bit of work on a bouncy foredeck - at 26' will be a bit of that!).
2) Main Halyard led back to cockpit (so can quickly douse the Mainsail).
3) boom strut (possibly just me, but I find the topping lift a PITA).

Can't really think of anything else Singlehanded specific......

A hand-held waterproof radio, tethered to a fanny pack. That way, if you go overboard, a radio goes with you.

Life jacket with D-rings so you can tether yourself to the mast if you have to go up there. Tethering yourself to a jackline -- multiple opinions on that. You can drown being dragged by your boat.

A ladder you can lower to yourself FROM THE WATER.

I made a 150' drag line. I made it out of polypropelene because it floats and unlikely to be tangled in a prop. I put figure 8 loops in it because poly is hard to hold on to in the water -- thin and slippery. I also put fishing floats on three spots near the end so other boats might see it. I put reflective tape on them.

I tested it. I was on a port tack. I attached the float line and tugged on it as if I were in the water, and the boat immediately heaved itself to. If I'd been on a starboard tack and had pulled it from that direction, It would have turned and then heaved itself to. A drag line needs to be long. A boat can move away from you really fast. Obviously I only deploy it in open water.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote