Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 05:12   #31

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Riding out a potential hurricane in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Could you provide name of marina.
Abaco Yacht Services on Green Turtle Cay has one of th best tiedown systems I have ever seen. The anchors are several feet down in poured concrete!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:21   #32

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
Anyone can tighten lines in high wind.I did it by myself in 85mph winds.All you do is lasso another rope over a piling and pull like crazy and tie that one off then tighten up your other lines. -----
Even assuming you had 85mph sustained (not just a gust reported) I seriously doubt you can pull your boat manually against the wind to a piling. Even if you could, how the hell do you throw a lasso against 85 mph winds?

I stand by my statement: "Nobody's going to be adjusting lines in 100mph sustained winds".
Old 05-04-2016, 12:34   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Even assuming you had 85mph sustained (not just a gust reported) I seriously doubt you can pull your boat manually against the wind to a piling. Even if you could, how the hell do you throw a lasso against 85 mph winds?

I stand by my statement: "Nobody's going to be adjusting lines in 100mph sustained winds".
Lasso is BS. I might see tightening a line when a boat surged that way? You better be quick. For what purpose other than possible a tide change?

In all fairness I can see tightening or slaking a line with tide in a blow. I would rather be on a mooring. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 14:23   #34

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Nobody's going to be adjusting lines in 100 mph sustained winds.
I would tend to agree but I know a marina that has done it many times...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 14:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Lasso is BS. I might see tightening a line when a boat surged that way? You better be quick. For what purpose other than possible a tide change?

In all fairness I can see tightening or slaking a line with tide in a blow. I would rather be on a mooring. JMHO
Mooring would be the last place to be on a lee shore with 100 mph winds.... not many moorings could handle that.

On the other hand... a hurricane travelling say 8 miles per hour a hurricane with hurricane/tropical storm winds in a 100 mile diameter.... if the eye goes over you you have about 6 hours of hell....and another 6 hours of nor-easter type winds typically in a Cat 2 or 3.... In the Bahamas most storms move through faster...
Old 05-04-2016, 15:00   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Mooring would be the last place to be on a lee shore with 100 mph winds.... not many moorings could handle that.

On the other hand... a hurricane travelling say 8 miles per hour a hurricane with hurricane/tropical storm winds in a 100 mile diameter.... if the eye goes over you you have about 6 hours of hell....and another 6 hours of nor-easter type winds typically in a Cat 2 or 3.... In the Bahamas most storms move through faster...
I've seen pilings through the bottom and coming out the deck at slips. A mooring isn't a 50lb. engine block. It is a 300 or 400 lb. mushroom on chain with a spar buoy. Just remembering what I saw as a kid on Staten Island. My old man never lost a boat. I haven't either in SC, just tucked in up a creek.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 15:12   #37

Did you go through Hurricane Hugo?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:14   #38

Where's Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Europe.
... and is it cold there ? : )

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:21   #39

On "stolen" moorings - how to prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I've seen pilings through the bottom and coming out the deck at slips. A mooring isn't a 50lb. engine block. It is a 300 or 400 lb. mushroom on chain with a spar buoy. Just remembering what I saw as a kid on Staten Island. My old man never lost a boat. I haven't either in SC, just tucked in up a creek.
Good stuff. Where I am, I can buy an old, useless engine (a serious engine) weighing 300 lbs or so, for pretty cheap, and I'm thinking of setting my own mooring, but, the problem is, someone else might think its theirs (if they got there first).

What is your suggestion/experience, regarding such.

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 02:30   #40

Well said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I agree with IRG. I live and sail in Darwin, northern Australia for over thirty years. The city is smack bang in the middle of the cyclone belt and is regularly hit. Darwin has one of the highest rates of boat ownership in the country and, (think in terms of surge) has a tidal movement of up to 7 metres (23 feet) every six hours.

Living your sailing life according to your fears puts a serious damper on your experiences. In hurricane season, prepare your boat as best you can and tie it down with as much rope as you can find.

In my experience, the biggest problem facing boats during a TRC is other boats which have not been prepared. Boats anchored on bits of dog chain, lots of gear aloft and absent owners pose a huge threat. If you can moor away from these craft and even help the community to secure these boats, you have a good chance of remaining safe.

If all else fails in The Bahamas, put your vessel on the hard in Marsh Harbour. They reinforce the cradles and tie the boat down to concrete anchors. Cost us (for a 50'er) $525 per month.
I have lived through very many cyclones in various parts of the world. I sailed through one as crew in the Atlantic many years ago, but on my boat, I have only experienced the outer bands of one.

Folks who I've met have "done the deed" and many seem to second your emotion: The biggest danger in a crowded spot is folks who haven't prepared.

Good on ya, mate,

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 02:36   #41

Remember Seaside Heights NJ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Nice idea, but given there is a risk of Hurricanes from Grenada to Cape Cod, exactly WHERE would you suggest we all put our boats?..

Hurricane preparedness is a fact of life on the East coast, including the Bahamas.
Who would have thought that the somewhat recent, NJ hurricane would have caused so much damage? Bottom line is, as we agree, there is really nowhere to hide nowadays on your side of the Atlantic or in most of desirable Asia.

So, my mantra is "Always prepare, but scoot if at all possible".

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11   #42

Good Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
My striker 37 has survived every storm and hurricane to hit florida since 1968 in the water at a dock in ft lauderdale with no damage.My uncle owned it before me and rode on the boat in storms till 2005.Hurricane whilma was the last cane he rode it out on.After whilma i have rode out every storm and hurricane on the boat in sebastian with no damage.Spiderwebbing lines works.hurricane sandy was the most fun storm.85mph winds at the dock and a 8 foot storm surge.5-6 foot waves rolling into the marina.I always add 150 gallons to my water tank before a storm for ballast.
Yeah, it seems like the extra weight could help stabilize the boat, but wouldn't it also help to drag the nose into an on-coming swell?

Guess that depends on where the tanks are and perhaps, where adjusting the lines comes in.

Your thoughts?

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 04:20   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

All these silly things mean nothing to the power of a hurricane if it truly hits a boat!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:41   #44

Not Sure Your Comment Would be Helpful to the OP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
All these silly things mean nothing to the power of a hurricane if it truly hits a boat!
... wondering if you read the entire thread

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 04:44   #45
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Not Sure Your Comment Would be Helpful to the OP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
... wondering if you read the entire thread

G2L
What difference does it make? I was in Cancun for Wilma and hurricanes don't even care about buildings. If you think a few extra 100 pounds makes any difference to the power of a hurricane feel free to be silly.

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane