Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2016, 06:22   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Riding out a potential hurricane in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Did you go through Hurricane Hugo?
Sure did! Only boat I had was on the hill. It didn't float but came close. Biggest lose was a 130ft dock on the ICW. Every thing but the pilings ended up 1800ft inland and a 1/2mile away. The ironic part was it had been completed and paid for the day before. Such is life.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:15   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
All these silly things mean nothing to the power of a hurricane if it truly hits a boat!
I agree, if you get hit head on by a big one, it's probably all over except for the crying.
But you don't always get hit head on and they aren't all Monsters, if your on the lucky side to be hit, sometimes a few extra lines or making sure everything that has windage has been removed can be what makes the difference.
It's sort of like wearing seat belts in a car, true if you hit a bridge abutment at 70 MPH, probably no belt in the world is going to help, but not all accidents are sudden stoppages from 70 MPH.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I agree, if you get hit head on by a big one, it's probably all over except for the crying.
But you don't always get hit head on and they aren't all Monsters, if your on the lucky side to be hit, sometimes a few extra lines or making sure everything that has windage has been removed can be what makes the difference.
It's sort of like wearing seat belts in a car, true if you hit a bridge abutment at 70 MPH, probably no belt in the world is going to help, but not all accidents are sudden stoppages from 70 MPH.
Yes, I agree. Similar forces encountered when tail hooking a carrier are easily absorbed. Never piloted anything airborne, but have been aboard for the ride as part of an old job.

Seems like the old logic applies - Situational Awareness is critical, so do the best you can to "Be prepared."

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 09:11   #49

Re: On "stolen" moorings - how to prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Good stuff. Where I am, I can buy an old, useless engine (a serious engine) weighing 300 lbs or so, for pretty cheap, and I'm thinking of setting my own mooring, but, the problem is, someone else might think its theirs (if they got there first).

What is your suggestion/experience, regarding such.

G2L
Don't do it! The weight is not the answer it is holding power. I cited a mushroom on a soft bottom it goes in and forms a hell of a suction. A 300# engine block wouldn't be worth a damn. JMHO
Old 06-04-2016, 09:40   #50
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Don't do it! The weight is not the answer it is holding power. I cited a mushroom on a soft bottom it goes in and forms a hell of a suction. A 300# engine block wouldn't be worth a damn. JMHO
During Hurricane Sandy my boat took it's 5,000 lb mooring block for a short trip. And the hurricane didn't even really get all that close to the mooring.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:01   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't know where to get them, but I know someone who chained multiple Railroad wheels together, Lord knows what those things weigh.

Sailorboy, your mooring moving just a little might be the best thing, I get nervous thinking about irresistible force hooked to immovable object, something has to give?
Old 06-04-2016, 11:52   #52
IRG

Boat: Molenmaker, Custom ketch, 97'

Are you talking shock loading or steady-state forces?

1" nylon 3-strand line has a safe working load of over 2,500 pounds and a breaking strain of over 20,000 pounds, and 50 feet absorbs a lot of shock.

So assuming the mooring base is the "immovable object", for a cruising yacht it sounds good enough to me. Then the biggest thing to worry about is other boats getting loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know where to get them, but I know someone who chained multiple Railroad wheels together, Lord knows what those things weigh.

Sailorboy, your mooring moving just a little might be the best thing, I get nervous thinking about irresistible force hooked to immovable object, something has to give?
Old 06-04-2016, 23:11   #53

Quote:
During Hurricane Sandy my boat took it's 5,000 lb mooring block for a short trip. And the hurricane didn't even really get all that close to the mooring.
Whoa, That IS interesting. So you're a Jersey boy, eh? Shudda known by the tone ; )

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 23:13   #54

Re: Not Sure Your Comment Would be Helpful to the OP ...

Quote:
What difference does it make? I was in Cancun for Wilma and hurricanes don't even care about buildings. If you think a few extra 100 pounds makes any difference to the power of a hurricane feel free to be silly.
Hey, if I knew, I wouldn't be askin'

Right?

G2L
Old 06-04-2016, 23:23   #55

Quote:
Hi again,

Yeah, I understand the mushroom concept, but it would definitely be a logistical challenge to get something like that done here. Would have to figure the actual size needed and make the mold somehow, then figure out what how much cement it might take to get the necessary weight, and then figure how to deliver and sink it, hoping that after all was said and done, I'd have enough money left to eat.

Not to mention, I might have to buy a pistol in order to get the local fishermen off it : )

Better, I think, to tie up to a bunch of palm trees or mangroves and hope for the best.

No insult meant, just thinkin' aloud.

G2L
Old 07-04-2016, 00:49   #56

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Sure did! Only boat I had was on the hill. It didn't float but came close. Biggest lose was a 130ft dock on the ICW. Every thing but the pilings ended up 1800ft inland and a 1/2mile away. The ironic part was it had been completed and paid for the day before. Such is life.
The problem with South Carolina is what I was talking about regarding islands like the Bahamas... If a Hurricane hits Charleston or Biloxi, Miss. the water has no where to go but UP.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:03   #57

Water Hitting a Mainland Funnel has Nowhere to Go But Up ...

Quote:
The problem with South Carolina is what I was talking about regarding islands like the Bahamas... If a Hurricane hits Charleston or Biloxi, Miss. the water has no where to go but UP.
... Exactly. I think that this lesson was well learned in Fukushima and, more to the point, in Tacloban City, Php, during Yolanda (local name) a few years back.

G2L
Old 07-04-2016, 04:58   #58
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Whoa, That IS interesting. So you're a Jersey boy, eh? Shudda known by the tone ; )

G2L
not enough close
Old 07-04-2016, 05:16   #59

Quote:
not enough close
See my message for more.

And stay cool.

G2L
Old 07-04-2016, 10:48   #60

Quote:
You have that right. I think after coming across Bulls Bay, in Awendaw, it was 18 to 22Ft. Bulls Bay not being much more than a mud flat may have contributed to that. I base the height on a snapped of tree with wooden hull surrounding it.

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: