Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 21:21   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Ride Out Force 12 at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahala View Post
How does adding an inexperienced owner/crew with no anchoring experience into the equation resolve your concerns about insurance premiums?
Well, it ain't warm and fuzzy, that's for sure.

If the owner and crew are inexperienced, perhaps they should not try to have a boat in the water during cyclone season.

We are pretty experienced, but choose to move from cyclone territory in the bad season rather than broadening our experience by being at anchor during a cyclone's passing. We've been caught out a couple of times by out of season storms. We've then done our very best to get into a cyclone hole and do all the required prep work. NOT happy about the folks nearby who did not do so, folks who followed your advice and scarpered, leaving their ill prepared craft to fend for itself.. and possibly destroy their neighbors boats. No idea if they were insured or not, but I consider them selfish and inconsiderate (to be polite).

If you can't move the boat to a safer climate, perhaps putting it on the hard would be possible. I believe that is a frequent ploy in the Florida cruising orbit, but have no experience there.

Owning a boat involves responsibilities beyond making monthly payments...

Jim
Old 05-05-2017, 02:56   #62

Absolutely agree with you Jim.
Kahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:29   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

itis irresponsible to state that wind alone willnot cause damages as i have seen otherwise, and not in marinas. i donot ride out gales in marinas unless they are named.
the katabatic winds and heavy gales frequently seen here in anchorages with no fetch and seeeming safety are sites of anchor dragging and damages as are the unprotected anchorages.
each sailor has a different experience. just because yours has been smooth weather sailing and anchoring does not mean others will not be damaged by wind alone, which has happened and will continue to occur even in winds holding no names as they course through protected anchorages.
there are no absolutes in medicine or sailing. since 1955 i have had plenty of time to learn this--and i learn well. perhaps learning is something rare and unknown.
happy sails and be safe.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is just the surge, the waves, etc. that can get you. Wind is 'no issue'.
Don't underestimate the effects of wind force.

This is a video taken by a local during a storm a few years ago. Many anchored yachts were written off or damaged and unfortunately one sailor lost his life. The wind force alone was enough to flip a cruising catamaran that was lying at anchor, trapping one occupant inside. Scary stuff.

The bay concerned is about 1 x 0.5 nm in size and is almost completely landlocked.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:18   #65

Boat: PSC Orion 27

It's not 'that' the wind is blowing, it's 'what' the wind is blowing.
-Ron White
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 15:02   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

The video seems to be more of a localized event (a tornado of sorts?) rather than a prolonged storm. Storm wind force, sure, likely beyond F12 for a brief time.

An extra factor is how sudden the event is. Us too keep so much stuff on the deck that if hit suddenly, we could take quite some beating.

BUT regular, lasting, force 12 storms do not come out of nowhere (except when they do) so I think there is normally plenty of time to get ready - an extra anchor out, all extra gear in, etc.

We only ever took any wind damage once - in the ITCZ off Brazil - an older genoa sail got some damage when a tropical squall hit and the sail hit the spreader for a brief moment before I was able to furl it in.

So yes do not underestimate anything. But also do not overestimate anything - esp. your preparedness perhaps ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 23:17   #67

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The fetch of the waves is the determinate. If there is short or no fetch for the waves to build up, shouldn't be an issue with large enough anchor and good holding. Chafe is the big killer so double or quadruple up on any lines.

If there is any distance for waves to build up, it is probably a matter of luck if the boat would survive.
I agree with this. I anchored in Lake Washington, Seattle area with SeaTac reporting winds of 75 kt. Protected water so I may have seen 50 kt.
It is about sea state and chafe. If there are others you have to worry about them dragging into you.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor