Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 16:17   #16

Re: Reversing out of berth?

A little video of what the others were suggesting:
Seafaring Magazine –Latitudes and Attitudes Television | Seafaring
12reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:24   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Tnere called 'single finger' slips.
Mine was sometimes an upwind slip and sometimes a downwind slip. Then sometimes the four or five foot tide was at ebb stage and sometimes at flood stage and was beam to my slip. Very few times at slack.
Then I backed into a fairway which required a 90* turn with the momentum of a 12 ton boat to contand with.

Most times at my marina there were other boatowners who would walk your boat out of the slip and start the bow swinging in the proper direction.

Consider it a challange. Practice alot and for heavens sake, go slow.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:40   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you are backing against the prop walk .. it could be impossible. my slip requires that and sometimes i have to back all the way out of the marina due to wind and current. if you can't make the turn you will know soon enough.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:51   #19

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
When some posters suggested that he just walk it or fend it or push it I thought they were crazy.
I walk mine back, though I admit she's not loaded for cruising - it may be a different story then.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48   #20

John A has it, single finger slip, and only about 5 yards long. All the boats overhang the back end, so collision is easy and warping out not really an option.
Will look at the video links later, thanks for that guys.
Laying in bed last night I had an idea. We have a small Honda o/b that is for the tender. We also have a lifting o/b bracket. So why not have the outboard at little more then tickover acting as a 'stern thruster', countering the prop walk?

This could be over complicating things I guess. Anyone tried it?

Steve
Alex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Don't know if this is an option, but I have sometimes looped a line around a piling so I control both ends on the boat. Use a double braid line so it slips over the piling readily. You can use this line to hold your stern from pivoting off too quickly and as you back up you ease off on it and eventually it comes off the piling. Obviously, you have to be careful not to drop the line in the water where it will get sucked up into the prop.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:37   #22
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Great vids, but it just looks soooooo cold there. Euk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex21 View Post
why not have the outboard at little more then tickover acting as a 'stern thruster', countering the prop walk?
This could be over complicating things I guess. Anyone tried it?
Steve
Sound sa bit complicated to me, but then I'm a girl, and really don't like to complicate things - since you're a bloke, it might be what you need!

Ask a silly question - why can't you just reverse out straight, and then turn 'on the spot' once you are clear of your neighbours?

And don't forget - if you are moving slowly enough (esp if your crew is good with a fender), a few bumps shouldn't do any damage at least!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44   #23

Ah, well, the problem is a phenomena I have learned is Prop Walk. The boat will not go backwards. The stern pulls to port in reverse. Fine going forwards. I have found out it is common in some types of boat. The chap berthed to port has a lifting keel and rudder. His rudder in the 'up' position sticks out over a meter behind his boat and looks vulnerable. Wonder if he is a member here?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31   #24

As the owner of a full keel Cape Dory I've learned the value of spring lines. There are places/situations that the only way of getting out is via a spring line, period. Practice, practice, practice..The other big factor is wind. And the only way to learn how your boat behaves in any given wind is again practice and experience... As an example, I learned early on that with the Cape Dory's full keel and cut away fore foot the second she stops in a cross wind the bow will start to blow down wind. Nothing can prevent this other than a anchor off the bow, which by the way, I have used to get into a very windy cross wind dock..

Be creative and pay close attention to what your boat wants to do in any given situation of wind/current. It's usually very predicable, once you've learned how she reacts..Keep fenders out and boat hooks handy!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reversing out of berth?

Quote:
John A has it, single finger slip, and only about 5 yards long. All the boats overhang the back end, so collision is easy and warping out not really an option.
Steve
Using your back spring is the easiest option...
I just don't understand the problem of your having a crew member standing midships on the boat and hauling on the backspring to haul you out... if the fingers to short have him move towards the bow as he hauls...
its not like its a big heavy boat...
if I can do it solo on a Corribee 21 and Hurley 22 whats difficulty with crew...
the impetus keeps her moving astern and out of the slip... as she comes level with the cleat I flick of the eye and go to the cockpit unclip the tiller and put my engine in gear to complete my manouvere....
Seems to me your over complicating a simple process...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:31   #26

Thanks Boatman61. I never said there was a problem with any of the suggestions posted here. I have not yet had a chance to try any of them!

I am sure you know what you are talking about and I have no wish to 'overcomplicate' things. Just trying to find out how other people deal with this situation. The marina is tidal and exposed to the prevailing SW's, tide flows through the berths at about 11/2 kts. I guess I have picking up a swinging mooring off to a fine art, under sail and motor and this messing about with finger pontoons is new to me. As a VI sailor, I like to prepare fully before stepping aboard.

Thanks for your suggestions. Noted.

Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Alex, wave your cane around and make some noise and let them get out of your way

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I went the opposite direction and now tie to a mooring ball but I had the same problem and combined boatman's and zednotzees solutions. If weather permitted I backed in but when the wind would push my bow down on the neighbor I'd pull in stern first. I always walked the boat half out of the slip which made leaving very easy. Best combo was back in and walk out but when the wind was blowing me onto my neighbor I discovered I couldn't manage to back in.

Oh, if the neighbor was around I'd yell "watch out" or something and he always helped

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:52   #28

Not a bad idea, waving my stick. I got a guide dog in November, and wondered if he could earn his keep by jumping in and keeping the stern clear. I did ask his trainer if he could be taught to woof port and stbd, but I just got silence back! Ah well, no harm in asking!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50   #29

Most barks will for the same 'ol stuff: I goota pee, I gotta poo, I gotta eat, I gotta get petted!
As a fan I highly recommend Nautic Ed maneuvering under power clinic. On line low cost very good. Of course on the water practice is the key to any course.
Is it possible to consider your prop and is there a different prop that may reduce your seemingly excessive prop walk?
Greg
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks Boatman61. I never said there was a problem with any of the suggestions posted here. I have not yet had a chance to try any of them!

I am sure you know what you are talking about and I have no wish to 'overcomplicate' things. Just trying to find out how other people deal with this situation. The marina is tidal and exposed to the prevailing SW's, tide flows through the berths at about 11/2 kts. I guess I have picking up a swinging mooring off to a fine art, under sail and motor and this messing about with finger pontoons is new to me. As a VI sailor, I like to prepare fully before stepping aboard.

Thanks for your suggestions. Noted.

Steve
If it's any comfort, berthing to a finger pontoon in a marina with tide and wind is not easy for anyone I have ever known no matter how much experience. It's much harder than picking up a mooring.

My own berth on the Hamble has got tide ripping through it in a direction parallel to the finger. When I'm docking on the flood (which means I'm docking uptide), all is beautiful. But on the ebb, I simply have no control over the stern of the boat -- enough speed for steerage plus the 2 to 3 knots of current would be much faster than I can stop in time to avoid crashing into the pontoon. So I have to berth without any steerage at all. So the only way to get into the berth is to line up the boat as well as I can and just let the current carry me in. If I don't manage to get the boat lined up just right, or if a gust of wind catches me -- it's crunch time. I've been extraordinarly lucky and in a year and a half in this berth I've only whacked the finger twice, neither time causing any real damage. That's just pure luck, which I'm expecting to run out any day now.

Well, I hope that makes you feel better.

The only advice I can give you is lots and lots of practice, lots of experimentation with every possible technique. Oh, and LOTS of fenders out!!!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote