Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13   #1

Boat: hunter 376
Remote Control Boats

Last summer I'm sitting on a dock watching a large powerboat, around 40' or so, maneuver his vessel in a rather tight area to leave the marina. He politely declined the assistance of several other boaters, but then he stepped off his boat, onto the dock, and proceeded to operate the vessel from the dock with a remote control. In this manner, he was able to see how far the boat was from the dock. When he was clear and ready to head out of the marina, he simply stepped back on and left. Now I'm no techno-weenie, but I didn't know such a thing existed. Is this a common thing on "higher end" boats?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird
Last summer I'm sitting on a dock watching a large powerboat, around 40' or so, maneuver his vessel in a rather tight area to leave the marina. He politely declined the assistance of several other boaters, but then he stepped off his boat, onto the dock, and proceeded to operate the vessel from the dock with a remote control. In this manner, he was able to see how far the boat was from the dock. When he was clear and ready to head out of the marina, he simply stepped back on and left. Now I'm no techno-weenie, but I didn't know such a thing existed. Is this a common thing on "higher end" boats?
The coasties here in Singapore have remote helm. When boarding the helmsman stands on the bow driving with a joystick so he can precisely approach and stand off.

Not sure I would leave the boat with the remote under any conditions. Was it wireless?

Battery failure or wireless glitch could be quite a drama.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: remote control boats?

If they can fly drones miles away, why not boats too?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:57   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

The German Navy has been using remotely-operated minesweepers at least since 1980 (Seehund & Seepferd classes).

With all wireless systems, there is always a risk of interference / jamming by another system. For this reason, a cable-connected portable station is sometimes preferred, for example for harbor operation, where it would be difficult to recover from an incorrect response by the system.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07   #5

The system was wireless. It would be great for single hand docking and anchoring, but, yes, stepping off the boat would be interesting if a glitch developed. My windlass is remote operated, but I still stand over it to free any snags if the rode catches or snags anywhere.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41   #6
Eternal Member

Well, hell, if you're going to leave the boat with a remote in your hand, why not go right on to the nearest cafe, order a tall one, and send the boat back off for a sail?

You could then meet it dockside on the way back to ease into the slip and tie her up :-)
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Well, hell, if you're going to leave the boat with a remote in your hand, why not go right on to the nearest cafe, order a tall one, and send the boat back off for a sail?

You could then meet it dockside on the way back to ease into the slip and tie her up :-)
Better yet, just send it out to anchor. Then when your done with your business and ready to head back out just have it come pick you up at the dock. No dinghy required.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00   #8

I don't think it would work well for a sailboat, but a powerboat? What about sending it to the nearest fuel dock for a top-up while you sip your tall, cool one? ( a frequent occurrence for the power boat types.) Wait!? What about man overboard? Some lifejackets auto-inflate when they get wet, so, what about activating a signal to return the boat to the person bobbing in the water? Not to mention the electronic voice which would say, as you re-boarded soaking and shivering: "Go below and change.. I'll take us somewhere nice.. oh, and wear those non-skid deck shoes next time..you know, the ones I keep telling you to wear but you never do?"
Oh the nightmare of technology gone berserk....
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I think you've come up with product ideas worth $Millions! (...in lawsuits)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

The largest boats in my port are remotely driven.

The Channel Cat is a 70 foot catamaran built for cocktail parties; the skipper stands way up on the roof with a remote.

The Condor Express is a 50 foot power cat whale watcher with two engines and four jet drives. Same system.

When the Condor Express first got here there was a malfunction with the remote when they were maneuvering into their slip. The skip had executed a turn (spin move) and the remote seized; he couldn't get out of the spin. Bumped a dock as I recall before he could get it under control.

Construction machinery such as road rollers and tree root grinders is all controlled by remote nowadays.

My last powerboat had fly-by-wire controls; an electrical current went back to the transmission and operated a mechanical actuator which changed the gears. One day a capacitor in the actuator blew up (literally); I didn't notice because there was no audible alarm, and when I got to my slip I put the boat into reverse and goosed it to slow dow, but instead I accelerated forward and rammed into a piling at about 3 kts.

That wasn't exactly remote, but close. It failed.

Draw your own conclusions.

- nick
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Here's a controller:

Yacht Controller - Wireless Remote Control of Your Yacht
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird
You guys don't have that yet? Not even with iPhone app?

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28   #13

In all seriousness, overcrowded marinas are becoming the norm, as space is expensive, and marina operators want to get as many slips in a given area as possible. Watching vessels docking under such conditions, especially in windy conditions, is both stressful and entertaining so the popularity of thrusters and remote controls can only be expanding. Bow thrusters, once the mark of the largest, finest yachts, are now turning up everywhere, and we have one 20' boat in our marina with one.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33   #14

A few years back a friend of mine showed me his remote helm on his Hunter. It worked so slick I installed one on our boat. As we already had an AutoHelm we went with a S100 wireless autopilot remote and it works as advertised.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 18:35   #15

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

We have a remote for our Raymarine autopilot. I have been known to go up on the foredeck with the remote while we're sailing along in benign conditions (light winds, small waves). It's nice to be able to wander about and check things like sail trim, look for other traffic, check for chafing, etc while still having an opportunity to control the helm, but I still feel kinda weird about it and don't feel comfortable doing it for any length of time.

Tags
remote