Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 09:30   #1

Reefing the Main Sail

Is there a video showing the proper procedures for reefing a main when under full sails to prepare for strong winds or overnight (no watch) sailing.
Thanks
James
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47   #2

Re: Reefing the main sail

It would help us to help you if you told us what boat and size you have and what kind of reefing system (i.e., single line, double line, tack horn or line, separate clew line, etc.).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
Is there a video showing the proper procedures for reefing a main when under full sails to prepare for strong winds or overnight (no watch) sailing.
Thanks
James
What do you mean by a "no watch" sail?

As to reefing, search You Tube "reef mainsail", lots there.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Thanks
James
It sounds like a good beginning point would be with COLREGS Rule #5:

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Please note there's no exclusion there for vessels with the mainsail reefed.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:20   #5

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

All of the above. Even if you're single-handing it surely you're not just going to go to sleep for the whole night and hope for the best?!

What kind of reefing system?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

1. Make a fresh thermos of coffee so you have it ready for WATCH KEEPING.
2. Heave-to
3. Take your time and reef the main (and any other sails which might need it).
4. Get back underway
5. Pour yourself a cup of coffee.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:37   #7

To all:
I don't own a particular sail boat, I'm in a sailing club that has several size and makes. from single to double reef lines and most with clew lines. I do want to own my own sailboat again, but for now I am just curious about the procedures.
In regard to my (no watch) comment, I have heard many stories of people using auto pilot or a wind vane to allow the solo sailor some time to sleep during long voyages and in open seas. I don't think I could sleep very comfortably, but I don't know who could. I guess the best thing to do is to heave-to until I've rested enough to continue.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:48   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We always reef at sundown no matter what the wind ! and there are 2 of us! but if you wish to single hand or as we do stand watchs, reef early and you will have much easier sailing during the dark watchs! It's worked for us for a long time! But then we don't worry to much about makeing big miles per day! LOL we just want to make things as simple as possible and as easy as possible! if ya reef at sunset you don't have to call the off duty watch to help ya if the wind kicks up !! Just a old timers simple way of doing things!
Old 13-07-2013, 01:07   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
To all:
I don't own a particular sail boat, I'm in a sailing club that has several size and makes. from single to double reef lines and most with clew lines. I do want to own my own sailboat again, but for now I am just curious about the procedures.
In regard to my (no watch) comment, I have heard many stories of people using auto pilot or a wind vane to allow the solo sailor some time to sleep during long voyages and in open seas. I don't think I could sleep very comfortably, but I don't know who could. I guess the best thing to do is to heave-to until I've rested enough to continue.

Basically you take the strain off the boom so it is free to move -- loosen the topping lift and the boom vang and/or cunningham and the outhaul, put the reefs in according to what kind of reefing system you have, then re-adjust the topping lift and boom vang, replace the cunningham if needed. You want a tight-surfaced sail, not a belly.

You don't have to tie the midline reefing points (I forget what they're caled, but they dangle down. if you do, tie them loosely.

To undo it, simply reverse the steps.

On my boat, I have one reefing line for the lower reefing point and one line for the upper. I have "rams horm" hooks on both sides of the boom, on the mast. I loosen those boom-controlling lines, lower the sail to whichever reefing point I want, and put the reefing kringle through one of the horns. Then I tighten the appropriate reefing line (that hardware is on my boom), and i'm good to go. That does require one trip to the mast to take up and then to relase the reefing point, and I use a tether to keep myseslf on the cabin top in case the boat catshes a sudden gust and heels over severely.

You need enough purchase on the tooping lift and the reefing lines to be able to do this easily by yourseelf. For instance, I sprained my foot last week rather badly, and if I had been sailing, I couldn't have safely gone to the mast although i could have gone to the helm to make sure the sail stayed pointed into the wind. You can also do it by depowering the sails to take the load off them.

The best place to do it is at the dock before you sail out, but sometimes the conditions won't warrant it when you leave. You have to have a reefing system you can handle if things suddenly get too windy. An overpowered boat is not a safe boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:51   #10

Raku

If you do not have a rigid vang you need to HARDEN the topping lift when preparing to reef. After the reef is in and the main halyard is hardened ease the topping lift, harden the mainsheet and the vang.

The topping lift is needed to support the boom without a mainsail
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:45   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
To all:
Keep in mind that you should maintain watch even if hove-to.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:07   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When is he suppose to sleep? (if he's singlehanding on a long voyage)

Last time I reefed, I was going to windward in about 18-20 knots of breeze. I eased the main sheet a bit and set the autopilot. Then went forward to the mast, uncleated the main halyard, and pulled the sail down with the reefing line to the hook and attached the main there. Then retightened the halyard and recleated. Next pulled the leech reef line (this is the tough part but a good workout) and cleated it on the boom cleat. I tie off the excess sail at my convenience after that. And I never stopped sailing to windward.

The good part was that the boat was WAY heeled over so I could lean on the mast and relax a bit while I was doing all this.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:18   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This is how single line jiffy reefing works.

Its the way to go for a single hander.

I often do reefing this way single handed from the cockpit. The reason it works so well is because it pulls the sail down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10_Reef1.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	64170  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:21   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:24   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
When is he suppose to sleep? (if he's singlehanding on a long voyage)
That's probably a question the OP ought to pose to the sailing club he's chartering from.

Tags
sail