Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 00:41   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Recut Mizzen to Headsail Possible?

I got a mizzen sail for free because it was being replaced, but it is in still decent condition by my standards. It is a meter too much on the luff and a meter short on the foot to be a mainsail for me. It is very heavy cloth so I am wondering if I can somehow recut it to make a small heavy wind jib.

I would be using about 40% of the area so this gives options for orientation etc.. I am looking for a small 50% headsail with high cut so I don't have to move my jibsheets really far forward. I am not sure if it's possible or what the best way to cut the new sail out of it would be.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 19:39   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: recut mizzen to headsail possible?

If you don't give a damn about performance anything is possible. Probably better off selling it and buying a used sail that fits if your finances are restrictive.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 21:06   #3

Boat: Luders 36
Recut Mizzen to Headsail Possible?

I would say no. Presuming it is cross cut (and even less likely so if not). The seams are designed to flow parallel to the wind. A straight mast has, more or less, seams parallel to the boat, if you tip it on its side to hoist it up a headstay it would be no good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 22:35   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Recut Mizzen to Headsail Possible?

It is a full batten mizzen sail

So... what if I cut it so the luff is not aligned with the existing luff?

I don't think I can sell it here, but that would be great. It is roughly 8oz with luff of 30ft, and foot of 8ft. To me it's in good condition but obviously has been used.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:46   #5

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It is a full batten mizzen sail

So... what if I cut it so the luff is not aligned with the existing luff?

I don't think I can sell it here, but that would be great. It is roughly 8oz with luff of 30ft, and foot of 8ft. To me it's in good condition but obviously has been used.

If you do that, the draft will be in the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 21:21   #6

Boat: Stevens 47

boat_alexandra - where in South Africa are you? I'm in Richards bay, heading to Cape Town with the next weather window - and would be happy to look at it for you (I'm a sailmaker).

In general, I'd say it's not a recut that'll end well - but depending on geometries there is a small chance you could make something of it.

Jman - crosscut sail seams are not designed parallel to the wind. They are perpendicular to an imaginary straight line between head and clew. This is so the fill yarns align with the highest load path along the leech - of course leech hollow or positive roach complicate load paths, so it's safe to say crosscut sails do a poor job of aligning yarns to load. Your point is correct though in that recutting a mizzen to headsail is likely to result in bias loading the cloth - not good. Still, there is a small chance of recutting if the new sail geometry can layout in existing geometry within a reasonable margin of misalignment.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, sail