Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2012, 04:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Sailboat 101 Books?

Cherck out USSailing for some good videos. Even better - check RYA (Royal yachting association) they have great videos on most subjects.

Old 29-08-2012, 05:25   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Glennans sailing manual.From the famous sailing school in France. English edition available in libraries and else where. Simple and complete for a beginner.
I suspect this school may be the reason why so many French sailors have achieved so much.

Old 29-08-2012, 09:51   #18

WOW! You guys came through in heaps and bounds with recommendations and ideas. I love that. I just started YouTubing vids as well, but I'm glad to know there's more "reputable" sources for sailing vids out there as well. I'm getting busy building the list and still looking for a way to fall into a sailboat or two for instruction.

CF is the best...you all rock my boat, in the best of ways! Cheers!
Old 29-08-2012, 10:08   #19

If you go to the boat show, leave your credit cards behind Got off lightly last time, just bought a whisker pole from Forespar.

If you are going to be maintaining the Bristol, I recommend this :

Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat,Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair,Sailboat Refinishing,Sailbo: Don Casey: 9780071462846: Amazon.com: Books

It might be worth reading the first section on inspecting the ageing sailboat.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
If you go to the boat show, leave your credit cards behind Got off lightly last time, just bought a whisker pole from Forespar.

If you are going to be maintaining the Bristol, I recommend this :

Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat,Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair,Sailboat Refinishing,Sailbo: Don Casey: 9780071462846: Amazon.com: Books

It might be worth reading the first section on inspecting the ageing sailboat.
Oh WOW, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have to make an appt to go see her, but I'm really trepidatious b/c I don't know anything about boats. I had put up a thread asking if anyone knew anything about the Bristol, but never got a reply, so this is an awesome resource. I'm grateful!
Old 29-08-2012, 10:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid View Post
Oh WOW, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have to make an appt to go see her, but I'm really trepidatious b/c I don't know anything about boats. I had put up a thread asking if anyone knew anything about the Bristol, but never got a reply, so this is an awesome resource. I'm grateful!
For Bristol-specific questions, this is the liveliest forum I know about :

bristolboatowners : Bristol Boat Owners

There's also another Google forum, and ANOTHER yahoo one that no-one appears to be able to join. The above linked one seems to be the best, though.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:13   #22

On it, thank you Mark!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid View Post
Hi all!

My main thread all about me is in the Meet & Greet section, but aside from that, I'm a total sailing novice. We're in the process of buying a 22' sailboat to learn on until we save enough pennies for the big 42'....

Are there any good Sailing 101 books out there that you might recommend to give me at least a general concept of terminology and such before I jump aboard the 22'? I read like the wind, so I've been digesting books about liveaboard life, which is helpful for that, but nothing that applies to general sailing.

Any recommendations would be wonderful!

Best,

~Danielle

No kidding -- "Sailing for Dummies." It explains things you've already learned and will probably give you new insights into why you were taught to do it that way. Other things it explains so clearly that I really WAS able to apply them in an emergency without having ever done them before.

It's the basics, but all the important basics, clearly explained. It covers things you might not expect, like hidden risks of sailing in rough, shallow waters. It explains circumstances beginning sailors might get otherwise caught in unknowingly, such as the dangers of a lee shore in a storm.

It's not a replacement for learning from more experienced sailors hands on, but ... IMO it's a "must have."
Old 02-09-2012, 13:25   #24

Boat: Sandpiper 565

One more vote for Sailing For Dummies. I've read many of the more popular books, and I've completed CYA Basic Cruising and Coastal Nav standards, and been sailing for several years now... and when I looked last year at Sailing For Dummies as a joke, I was surprised at the amount of useful stuff it had.

I like Don Casey's books, especially the fiberglass repair one, but for me the best maintenance book is Nigel Calder's book.

Tags
books, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: