Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 17:54   #16

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Preparing a Tartan 34C for transatlantic trip

We carried extra fuel in jerrycans strapped in the cockpit for our transatlantic run. It reduces the amount of water the cockpit can hold, so that it drains more quickly. Dodger is a must.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:21   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

100% on a dodger! For protection from wind and rain ect! I lean toward a mustang type survival suit, for single handing in bad weather, at least it makes me feel a little better LOL Most times the wind kicks up enought to need storm sails it gets colder and the suit helps for warmth and wetness, also has good hookups for jack lines. A single propane gimbled stove, for hot food when the weather kicks up is pure heaven ! I would sure look at additional power supply, like solar for the ability to keep batts up would help, as you really cant use your engine to supply any with the short supply of fuel you carry ! and I don't like carrying gas in jugs at sea! Just a couple of ideas we have found useful for my solo sailing and for the wife and I also
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I'd say you have done more then enough.

As to the med , obviously you may need a way to handle 220vac.

With a petrol engine , getting fuel in marinas can be problematic. Some do and some don't , most power boats are diesel. So you may find yourself walking to the nearest filling station.

Also I wouldn't bother with a water maker unless you have lots of spare cash. Water isn't difficult to get in the med.

You'll need insurance , passport and registration paper , have copies and originals , though formalities in the med are light touch.

In French waters carry flares.

Dave
Old 06-05-2013, 19:29   #19

Boat: Sabre 402

Just noticed your idea of recutting your Gale Sail for the removeable forestay. It might be cheaper to simply buy a used storm sail that fits. Hopefully you won't need to use it. It would be a shame to make the Gale Sail NOT fit the original setup. On a 34' boat, how much difference would it be? If it's blowing so hard that you think you need an inner jib, would you be better off with a storm trysail up anyway, and leave it at that? Making sail changes singlehanded gets old very quick.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote