Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you deploy fenders before entering a slip?
Always - I don't want to scratch up the beautiful dock and pilings! 70 79.55%
Never - bump and grind, baby! 15 17.05%
What the heck are fenders? 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 21:20   #1

Boat: Tartan 30
Poll: Which Fender Camp Are You In ?

I was taught to NOT put any fenders out while docking, and to pull them in before leaving the slip. The idea being they can get caught up and cause general havoc, and not to mention, you shouldn't really be bumping into things in the first place...It made good sense at the time, and I haven't seen any cause for concern since.

But, as I read the many thousands of posts about docking on this and other forums, it seems like everyone else puts their fenders out BEFORE they come into the slip.

Is this the reason people look frightened when I come into a slip? or is it just my Cpt. Ron-esc approach
Old 04-07-2011, 23:18   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Poll: Which Fender Camp Are You In?

I employ fenders arriving, during, and leaving the berth/dock. Each side has five with the three middle ones cylindrical in shape and the two at the ends round, for a total of ten fenders.

Old 04-07-2011, 23:37   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I'm presuming those without fenders also don't need any sort of insurance because that's what fenders are.
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 00:02   #4

Boat: Aries 32

I hang as many fenders as I can find off anytime anyone can see me. I'm probably going to hit something anyway, and I might get lucky and hit it with a fender. It also keeps the neighbors on their toes, and I might need the help someday....
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 00:26   #5

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Wow! It's a bit like Motissier sailing without a compass using landfinding techniques. It sounds great and in tune and high end skill, but it's really difficult to do and the stakes are pretty high if you get it wrong.

On Roaring Girl, we use fenders. (We use a compass, too, though they're not so necessary in yer actual marina.)
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 00:27   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I was taught to NOT put any fenders out while docking, and to pull them in before leaving the slip. The idea being they can get caught up and cause general havoc, and not to mention, you shouldn't really be bumping into things in the first place...It made good sense at the time, and I haven't seen any cause for concern since.

But, as I read the many thousands of posts about docking on this and other forums, it seems like everyone else puts their fenders out BEFORE they come into the slip.

Is this the reason people look frightened when I come into a slip? or is it just my Cpt. Ron-esc approach
What do you do when you are in a tight spot or on a lee dock where you would want to apply power against a spring line to rotate the bow or stern away from the dock?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 00:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Me, 6 each side, and happy I did. To arrive at my berth I have to lock into the marina, tidal stream in the river outside the lock up to 5 knots. Lock entrance also prone to silting up. Couple of months ago, making approach to lock with 4 kts of ebb tide, and speed needed to crab across the stream, grounded on a new mud bank, and bow swung hard into the wall at the lock bell mouth. Lost a fender, but kept he gel coat
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

If you are not bumping into anyone - then yer doing it wrong

Not entirely sure what "general havoc" a fender can cause - I like Fenders so much they usually stay hanging over the side until at least halfway on passage (out of sight - out of mind ) - and often then it's a case of deciding whether I can be bothered to bring them
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:20   #9

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

I have 3 fenders permanently hung on my finger dock.Two for the beam and one large one for the bow.
I also have two large ones on the boat for docking elsewhere.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34   #10

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I carry 8 cylindrical and 2 big inflatables. Always deployed when going docking maneuvers. Gust of wind, engine quits, anything can happen so why not be ready.

Like DOJ posted, what kind of havoc can they cause except to save your hull and embarrassment at the marina when you trash your boat against the dock...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:04   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

While we do not rig fenders before we enter a slip or approach a pier, we do keep several loose on deck with long tethers so that one can easily be reached and positioned as necessary. We began this practice many years ago after watching a neighboring yacht with pre-rigged fenders (from his life-lines) come too close to an outer pile that "hooked" the fender and allowed the yacht's momentum to rip several stanchions off the deck. On our boat my wife does the driving and I handle lines and I have often told her that if we aren't bored coming into a slip, we're going too fast. It seems to work for us. But, different ships, different long-splices, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I was taught to NOT put any fenders out while docking,

callmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallme crazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazyc allmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmec razycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazyca llmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecr azycallmecrazycallmecrazycallmecrazy

Nuts.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11   #13

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

I do not use fenders when docking into/out of my slip. Cross winds and currents tend to push the boat sideways and the fenders hang on the pilings, stopping the boat. my beam is only 9' 6" and the pilings are 10' 6" apart, so it can be a little challenging in the right conditions. Fortunately, my boat has a full metal rubrail/toe rail, so no damage after 13 years. I do use fenders before docking alongside or in larger slips.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:18   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Fenders cause trouble? O_o

There really is a contrary opinion on everything. Well, I'll bite. If the value of what you hit is more than you (or your insurance) can pay, then I say get those fenders out. Whether your boat is a plywood homebuilt one or not, your neighbor might not be happy if his 70ft Hinckley gets all scraped up.

Really, docking without fenders is like driving without seatbelts. Even if you could do this in your sleep, you never get hit by an errant gust of wind at the worst moment?
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:20   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I employ fenders arriving, during, and leaving the berth/dock. Each side has five with the three middle ones cylindrical in shape and the two at the ends round, for a total of ten fenders.

Yeah, that's about right. It's not about "not touching the dock" but "getting close enough for the wife to safely jump off with the midships line".

Sometimes, that means getting in tight, esp. if catching the wind on the beam.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, poll