Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 15:47   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Poling out the jib

Due to a lack of experience plus what seems to be an oddly laid out boat, we have now spent two full weekends trying out different configurations. We have now identified a couple of ways to keep the working lines off the lifelines, but now we are locked in a battle of wills as to what procedures should be. I think we are leaning towards furling the sail to clear the deck whenever we are moving the pole about, but there are still some concerns about the efficiency of this in situations where you might only hold course for 10-20 minutes, such as might happen in a race or sailing in a bay or lake.

Can you gybe around to bring the main over to shadow the pole? Is it better to release the guy sheet from the pole before the gybe? Instead of gybing, would you just pull the jib to leeward? If so, would you release the guy from the pole before or after pulling the jib over behind the main?

Or, is it better just to furl the jib because it isn't driving the boat while it is shadowed, anyway. And you can probably work faster if you aren't worried about it or pushing it out of your way.

If the general public takes after the couple posing these questions, this might become the new anchor/gun/how many hulls topic.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 19:43   #2

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Poling out the jib

Furling the jib seems like a waste of time.

Do you dip the pole of move it end-to-end?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 21:22   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

Do you have the pole out wing and wing? if so the gybe just moves the main and you can release the pole when you get around to it (depending on new point of sail).

If you're poled out on the same side as the main, I'd do it like a sym spinnaker: unhook, gybe, and hook it back up. (either dip or end/end - I like end/end much better) - Running a separate guy complicates the rigging a bit, but I'd guess on a 39' boat you have the complete pole rigging. It's easy for me, I just clip the pole into the jib clew. It works great on my (much smaller) boat.

I'd never furl the jib for a simple (normal, not screaming in the 50's etc...) gybe. You can sail downwind with it not poled, so why furl it?
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 22:52   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

safety first!! Furl the jib, move the pole across, attach fore and aft preventers to pole, unfurl jib. Safety first, we're talking cruise mode!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 23:04   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Jibe the mainsail first. This shadows the foresail. Release the pole from mast and jib sheet. Pull the foresail to the opposite side with the opposite sheet. Reattach pole to jib sheet and then to mast.
Old 16-04-2015, 13:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
safety first!! Furl the jib, move the pole across, attach fore and aft preventers to pole, unfurl jib. Safety first, we're talking cruise mode!
Hey, that's what the Volvo folks do for a jibe too. (With the addition of canting the keel (!!!))
Old 16-04-2015, 13:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Really depends on your crew and what you want to do. Single handed, furling the jib for a jibe works great with minimal drama. I have a longer than 'J' pole and dip pole for a jibe. It's a one armed paper hanger drill if I don't furl the jib.

If you have crew that can handle the sheets, work the pole and hook the sheet on the new tack, dip pole or end for ending the pole will be much quicker. End for ending always seemed to have a few exciting moments and wouldn't go that route except on a smaller boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:16   #8

If it's a jib, not a spinnaker, it's no big deal. Disconnect the pole from the mast and the jib sheet and move to the other side. I have a short length of rope tied to the clew in the shape of a loop. When you attach the pole to the sheet it can move up and down the sheet. Attaching the pole to the loop prevents that. I also take the lazy sheet and tie it to a mid ship cleat on the same side as the pole. This prevents the pole from lifting up.

Captn Morgan
S/V Chase The Clouds
Captn morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:26   #9

The LOOP is THE answer. Makes it way easy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib