Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2012, 23:03   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Picture From A Nightwatch

A painted ship on a painted Ocean
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 23:18   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

OK... somebody explain to me how and why this Zombie thing has taken off, and WTF is the attraction?

I just don't get it.
Old 21-09-2012, 23:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
OK... somebody explain to me how and why this Zombie thing has taken off, and WTF is the attraction?

I just don't get it.
I dig zombie books because it's no more of a standard plot device than "spy finds another spy and tries to stop spy before nuclear war happens" or some other super played out story line.

I mean remember this one? "Boy orphaned, raised by other parents because of mysterious circumstances of real parents. Finds a powerful uncle who takes him on a journey to understand his true power and reclaim his name."

Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

Or "Troop of soldiers on tough mission somewhere fighting an enemy learning about what battle means and who they really are."

Zombie books really aren't about the zombies anymore than Ice and Fire is about Westeros. It's about the characters and the zombie plot is just a convenient and fun plot mover.

My $0.02.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 23:37   #34

And for the record, if we were all on ssb/vhf or sitting in the cockpit, I would love to talk fiction and computer games with you guys. Find me in Mexico (western side) this year and I'll buy you a beer!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 07:37   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
the zombie plot is just a convenient and fun plot mover.
Zombies have a plot?...Hmmm
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:18   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

I just don't get it.

Many people don't, you are not alone. Where I live it's so popular that zombie hordes are a regular occurrence. There are so many events that no one is surprised to see a moaning, groaning, shuffling horde of zombies coming down the street at them anymore. Once the horde snuck up on me and a friend while we were on a lunch breaking eating a sandwich in the car, surprised me by trying to climb in the windows with us. Terrifying and hilarious! I know, I'm surrounded by nerds with too much time on their hands...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-shot-2011-06-28-at-11_22_01-PM.png
Views:	184
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	46890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zombie-AT.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	46891  

Click image for larger version

Name:	zombiestrain32.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	46892  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:22   #37

Quote:
Back in the day my wife and I did a lot of WoW (I know, I know...) raids with headsets on and stuff. We'd be at the dock, it would be pouring outside, and we were stomping brains or grinding our toons. Oh memories.

With the kid onboard I don't play any games anymore, although I *love* pc games like battlefield and CoD/MW. I've seen way too many parents checked out for hours on end gaming while their kids just wonder around aimlessly.
That's a pretty healthy observation if you ask me Rebel Heart. I guess this gaming thing is also kind of age specific. Though maybe because one of my previous jobs was fixing pinball machines and video arcade games they never really attracted me in my leisure time. Though even today I never see the need for even having a TV on board much less a video game. I always take all the games off my PC too! For me there always seems to much to see and too much to do on the boat. I'm never bored and don't miss it. IMO that kind of entertainment is for those stuck who are still stuck on land.
Old 22-09-2012, 08:26   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I dig zombie books because it's no more of a standard plot device than "spy finds another spy and tries to stop spy before nuclear war happens" or some other super played out story line.

I mean remember this one? "Boy orphaned, raised by other parents because of mysterious circumstances of real parents. Finds a powerful uncle who takes him on a journey to understand his true power and reclaim his name."

Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

Or "Troop of soldiers on tough mission somewhere fighting an enemy learning about what battle means and who they really are."

Zombie books really aren't about the zombies anymore than Ice and Fire is about Westeros. It's about the characters and the zombie plot is just a convenient and fun plot mover.

My $0.02.

A good 2c. You just called out some of the most popular plot devices in history. At least the zombie genre is fairly new and different. Though there are some truly awful "authors" trying to cash in on the craze. I find the rise of the e-book has created a whole lot of bad writing of all types though. Just about to start Ice and Fire, not really my thing but so many people have recommended it to me that I kinda have to give it a whirl. I usually read a lot of hard history, historical fiction, and sci-fi. Mostly because you can't make up stuff as outlandish as actual history, if you did no one would be able to suspend their disbelief. "That could never happen!" they would say...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote