Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2012, 08:18   #16

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Picture From A Nightwatch

I actually rather enjoyed reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, somewhat against all expectations.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:35   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I never read that one but Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was a really good book, I swear. Never met anyone who didn't like it.

Isn't that a graphic novel? The movie trailer was hilarious.
Were you saying you hadn't read Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z), or "P&P&Z? The latter was so awful I couldn't even really try...

To stay a little more on topic, is it as flat as it looks out there or is that just the GoPro? Looks pretty flat and calm but could just be the cam. I see you are a habitual main boom preventer rigger, me too. Always set up, although mine is a 3-1 purchase.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 13:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Isn't that a graphic novel? The movie trailer was hilarious.
Were you saying you hadn't read Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z), or "P&P&Z? The latter was so awful I couldn't even really try...

To stay a little more on topic, is it as flat as it looks out there or is that just the GoPro? Looks pretty flat and calm but could just be the cam. I see you are a habitual main boom preventer rigger, me too. Always set up, although mine is a 3-1 purchase.
Nah it's a normal novel; thing is great I read the Max Brooks books. I'm a little disappointed because some other zombie stuff to me is superior and as Mel Brooks' kid should be able to belt out better fiction than a guy working a day job writing a book in the evenings at his dining room table.

The preventer was more just to keep the boom from banging about and creaking at the topping lift. I got tired of this constant moaning sound coming out of it so I just pulled it to the side a bit and whammo, silence. I like the idea of putting some blocks on there with a jam cleat just to make it a bit easier if the sail was actually up.

It was pretty flat; max 15 knot winds. Around here light air sailing is a much bigger issue than heavy weather. 1/2 the wind out here is under 10 knots, so it's all about light air conditions. The main just slams around too much in stuff like that to be of use downwind, and in a lot of wind I don't like dealing with gybing or trying to put a reef in.

I might be weird about it but I really only pop the main with wind at or forward of the beam. Otherwise staysail for big wind or drifter for light downwind. It's not the fastest, but its' really easy to manage.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 13:07   #19

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Cool pic!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 16:48   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
You like zombie books? I seriously have read at least two dozen in the last couple of years. This is one of my favorites: The Gathering Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse Novel): Stephen Knight: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I even started writing my own zombie book, which of course involves boats and sailors. I figure I have a target audience of maybe seven people worldwide.
Zombies and sailboats? I always heard zombies can't swim. That's part of the reason I started sailing - LOL...

I guess I gotta start researching.

Keep us posted on the trip south...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 17:17   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor

Great photo! Safe trip!
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 17:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Zombies and sailboats? I always heard zombies can't swim. That's part of the reason I started sailing - LOL......
They can't. However, they will walk on the bottom and climb up your anchor chain....
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 17:28   #23

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Zombies.

I think my inverter has produced more amps dedicated to Left 4 Dead than any other single purpose.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 17:57   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Zombies.

I think my inverter has produced more amps dedicated to Left 4 Dead than any other single purpose.
Why the inverter? How would you play L4D on the hook since its multiplayer co-op only? And if you're not on the hook why not just shore power? Are you playing on a laptop with 3G or what? I must know...
Old 21-09-2012, 18:31   #25

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

You can play single player. Your 3 team-mates are bots.

I run my laptop off of the inverter since I don't have a 12V adapter for it.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 20:28   #26

Back in the day my wife and I did a lot of WoW (I know, I know...) raids with headsets on and stuff. We'd be at the dock, it would be pouring outside, and we were stomping brains or grinding our toons. Oh memories.

With the kid onboard I don't play any games anymore, although I *love* pc games like battlefield and CoD/MW. I've seen way too many parents checked out for hours on end gaming while their kids just wonder around aimlessly.
Old 21-09-2012, 20:35   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
You can play single player. Your 3 team-mates are bots.

I run my laptop off of the inverter since I don't have a 12V adapter for it.

Disapointing, but thanks. Fun anyway I'm sure. Been working on multiplayer gaming on the hook, so far using a 4G phone's internet connection for my desktop is the best setup I've come up with. But I'm sure there's a 4G USB dongle or something out there that's better or at least easier. I run my desktop on the hook, surprising how little juice it pulls on the inverter despite it's general overbuild.
Old 21-09-2012, 20:39   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Back in the day my wife and I did a lot of WoW (I know, I know...) raids with headsets on and stuff. We'd be at the dock, it would be pouring outside, and we were stomping brains or grinding our toons. Oh memories.

With the kid onboard I don't play any games anymore, although I *love* pc games like battlefield and CoD/MW. I've seen way too many parents checked out for hours on end gaming while their kids just wonder around aimlessly.

Too true. But that's why kids go to bed early, so you can stay up late to grind if you must. I too was gameless for some time when the kids were babies, but now that they are older I find more time for that sort of thing. I am once again a server admin.
Sorry for the heavy thread drift. Just had to ask about zombie books and look where that led us...
Old 21-09-2012, 21:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Too true. But that's why kids go to bed early, so you can stay up late to grind if you must. I too was gameless for some time when the kids were babies, but now that they are older I find more time for that sort of thing. I am once again a server admin.
Sorry for the heavy thread drift. Just had to ask about zombie books and look where that led us...
I love thread drift, truthfully. I mean imagine if you hung out with other sailors and all you talked about was sailing: BORING.
Old 21-09-2012, 21:41   #30

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

No forward view? Assume none.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote