Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 10:50   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6
Passing solo locks of lake Champlain

Hello , I would like to know how hard is go solo true the locks. I plan to go south to New York

My plan :
To put some kind of bump protection on the mast at both end.

To deploy all my fenders with a fender board for middle.

I will be standing in the center and hold the ligne that goes down the wall of the lock.

I will have the pole near to push any side away from the wall of the dock

Any one can recommend better technique ? My first time in the locks , at the first lock i will take time to watch how other ppl do it but i also saw few videos of how others do it.

Boat is 32 feet and the mast is about 47 feet~

Thank you.
Pavel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:34   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Re: Passing solo locks of lake Champlain

When I went solo through the Okechobee Waterway, after watching me run back and forth adjusting my bow and stern lines, a lockmaster advised me to stand in the middle and hold a line in each hand. It worked out but I could see bad things could happen. At 31 feet and 13,000 lbs, it was sometimes a stretch —-on my shoulder ligaments. But probably safer than darting back and forth. I ended up turning each around the bow and stern cleats running them back to the midship position so that when one end wanted to swing out required more force than than I could give with one hand, I could clear the other line while I giving my attention where it was needed. It is certainly riskier. My fear was tripping and going overboard while darting back and forth. The life jacket stayed on. Lots of fenders including out towards the ends.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 14:13   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

Did it in the other direction a couple of years ago.

We didn't use a fender board and didn't see the need - the condition of the locks isn't that bad. But you want fenders on both sides because it can change from one lock to another.

And the comment regarding handling two lines is important (yes, you need two lines). I personally wouldn't do it solo but that probably has more to do with my experience and confidence than anything else.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:16   #4

Do you mean like that ? I also have midship cleat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15676893315338888630642559015123.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	199228  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:51   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I did it a few years ago. The Erie Canal from the Finger Lakes up to Lake Champlain.

The thing to consider is that with the mast on deck, you now essentially have a 47' boat rather than a 32' boat. The locks are fairly benign, your biggest issue will be the mast with it's overhang and other boats. Not sure going solo is all that prudent to be honest unless you have the locks to yourself. I know that if I was locking along with someone who was doing it solo, I would probably consider hanging back so as to not be in the same lock at the same time. Not personal, just you will be shorthanded and the margin for things going sideways is much higher.

Having said that, if doing it solo, I would consider initially coming alongside with just a stern line to hold the boat securely against the wall with the engine in forward idle while setting up a system like you have in the diagram. At least then the boat and mast wont go anywhere while you set up. Then put the boat in neutral for the lift or descent. The lock masters are very helpful and patient. Cheap plastic buckets work well to protect the masthead and mast base. They can be manipulated to fit over the ends and stuffed with old rags or sponges. Building a proper mast cradle will payback in spades vs just lashing to the pushpit and pullpit. You will be solo and may need to move quickly on the deck. The last thing you need is to be stepping over a rig. Check the waterway website regularly because sometimes there are lock closures or changes to schedules due to staffing issues. If you ask the lock master, they will likely notify the lock ahead of your ETA and the fact that you are shorthanded. Some will likely appreciate the notice that you are shorthanded. By the third lock, you will probably have settled into a routine that works best for you.

Bring some good work gloves. The walls can be dirty and slimey. Handheld VHF or a temporary antennae for the ships radio so you can communicate with the locks.

Most importantly, bring a good playlist for the stereo and make sure it includes Bruce Springsteen's "Erie Canal". It really is a fun trip. Enjoy!
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:45   #6

Going through locks alone on a 32 is easy. My boat is a 32' weighs 15,000 pounds.
Just go to the middle of the side walk around and grab one line. Easy to hold on to, use gloves.

Have 3 ball shaped fenders placed stern, midship, and bow.

It is not sweat and you do not have to hold onto two lines, one is enough.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

All the locks but one ( cannot recall, i think lock #7) have a couple of vertical cables or tubes that you can use to install a single line around at mid ship. This will simplify your work a lot as you will only need to walk from stern to bow to push the boat and avoid the mast to hit the walls.

Even better, if you know where is your pivot point on the boat, attached at that point. Then you can control the boat by having the prop in forward, and use the rudder to rotate the bow toward the wall or away.

I do not recommend using a bow and stern line: those are short, and may not be at the right place based on your boat length. You may grab one, but chances are that by the time you want to grab the other one, the boat rotate and you cannot reach it any more.
The lock master will not be of any help.

This still will be tricky, especially if you are not the only boat in the lock, as you may not be able to grab the vertical cables or tubes where you want.

Make sure the mast spreaders does not get in your way. protecting the mast head and base will not prevent then to bend if there is too much pressure. Also plan extra care for the rolling furler.

Whitehall lock (#12 ?) requires that you dock on the east side because of the currents generated when the water goes in and moves you up. This is probably the trickiest one.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16   #8

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

If you want to do it alone it is your call if you would like a hand, I could be available depending on the dates.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:06   #9

Thanks for the tips . I think there many ppl going thru the locks solo and i should be able to do it solo . I will also ask one sailor in my marina who did it many times for extra tips .

i will use two buckets to protect the mast as suggested and mid-ship cleat.

I looked at many videos available and it looks calm compare to some locks in europe.

Thank you for the offer Va2shp . I will be going slow , i am not really in a hurry . In the worst case scenario my wife will be joining me a week after leaving Lacolle .
Old 06-09-2019, 05:34   #10

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I have been through four times . Yes you can do it but if the wind is up it can be a bit hairy
Old 06-09-2019, 06:10   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It will help a bit if you can park at the end of the lock you came into. That end has the still water, because water is coming in or leaving at the other end. Being in the churning water means that the boat will lunge unexpectedly.
Old 06-09-2019, 16:18   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel24 View Post
Hello , I would like to know how hard is go solo true the locks. I plan to go south to New York

My plan :
To put some kind of bump protection on the mast at both end.

To deploy all my fenders with a fender board for middle.

I will be standing in the center and hold the ligne that goes down the wall of the lock.

I will have the pole near to push any side away from the wall of the dock

Any one can recommend better technique ? My first time in the locks , at the first lock i will take time to watch how other ppl do it but i also saw few videos of how others do it.

Boat is 32 feet and the mast is about 47 feet~

Thank you.
Be extremely polite to the lock tenders. They can make or ruin your day. And as I recall, the next one knows exactly when to expect you.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:01   #13

Boat: Mirage 35

Oh, yes, didn't mention that. The lock keeper are almost all very friendly and helpful; there's one who is a pain. But be nice, take their advice, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:29   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
It will help a bit if you can park at the end of the lock you came into. That end has the still water, because water is coming in or leaving at the other end. Being in the churning water means that the boat will lunge unexpectedly.
Good point. But you might want to ask. A number of lock tenders have told me which side has less turbulence, and it's not always the same. Different locks are built differently.

And it bears repeating that being nice to the lock tender is always a good idea. If you're pushy, arrogant or act like a know-it-all, I can assure you you're going to have a bad day. On the other hand, if you're polite, ask questions before assuming anything, and listen to the answers, you'll get all kinds of help.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If you happen to get to a lock with a bunch of A holes. Just get on the radio and tell the tender you would prefer to wait for the next opening.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote