Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Parasailor

I'm curious about Parasailor pluses and minuses
Anyone want to share his/her experience with a Parasailor?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 10:27   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Parasailor

You might wait some time for this, not because they aren't good, which I suspect they are, but because they are a big investment, and I have not had the impression they have sold hundreds of them to this point.

I see no reason why they can't be deployed and snuffed like most modern assymmetrical spinnakers, however, meaning they are "couples friendly".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You might wait some time for this, not because they aren't good, which I suspect they are, but because they are a big investment, and I have not had the impression they have sold hundreds of them to this point. I see no reason why they can't be deployed and snuffed like most modern assymmetrical spinnakers, however, meaning they are "couples friendly".
More than a spinnaker?
What kind of a price range are we talking about for a 36'?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
More than a spinnaker?
What kind of a price range are we talking about for a 36'?
I looked into one a few years ago and the price scared me away. Don't remember exactly but as I recall $5-$6,000 for my 42' boat. Would guess around $4,000 for a 36'.

Guess if I won the lottery I might consider but for me I just don't think they are that good.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:36   #5

Because we are planning to spend literally months in the trades, we've considered it as an alternative to poling out the headsail as a way to blunt the roll a bit, but ours is a somewhat specialized ambition, and it's for long passages that I think the thing was made. $3,500-$4,000 would get you a very nice cruising spin, but you'd have to bag it past 16 knots or so. The advantage of the Parasailor, as I understand it, is that you can sail DDW without a pole (due to the lift of the "wing") and still use it close to a close reach (80-70 deg).

What I don't know is how breezy it can get before you risk damaging it. I'd hate to have to sew those seams.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17   #6

Few years ago I did a delivery of 45" Cat with parasailor, was absolutly de luxe. We were only two guys, downwind southerly Portugal coast. Up to 5bf / 20kn wind worked perfect. No problem at night with AP. We did the normal watch out. There was a damage because of a weak clevis on masttop, the para came down, has been between the beams but nothing serious happened.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55   #7

That brings up an interesting point: if you can sail this spi up to 20 knots safely (i.e. it doesn't overpower the boat and doesn't approach a level of damage to the sail), do you need to oversize or use "extra-strong" shackles, line, etc.?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That brings up an interesting point: if you can sail this spi up to 20 knots safely (i.e. it doesn't overpower the boat and doesn't approach a level of damage to the sail), do you need to oversize or use "extra-strong" shackles, line, etc.?
The shackle was wrong for the para, has bent up (10mm steel).
Important to use a strong one with pin, made for halyards.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40   #9

Yes, I would think so...it would be prone to a lot of pull. I am personally happy with "regular" line for most halyards, but I would be tempted to spring for a hundred feet of Dyneema for the spinnaker halyard.