Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 06:33   #331

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:38   #332

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Lt. Dan = Boatie.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:54   #333
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahahahahhaaaaa.... I always call the Devil Mate...
Tho' I have freaked out crew in the past during a blow when I stand in the cockpit glaring at the heavens yelling... "Come on ya miserable white bearded old git.. is that the best ya can do...???"
Have a safe trip Sinbad, and don't forget to turn on the GoPro when the time is right.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:16   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
All the videos on this thread have been posted purely for your viewing pleasure, me thinks you might be missing the point.

Try to "enjoy the ride." Or... share one of your favorite sailing videos with the rest of us.
I'm not missing the point. But for everybodies safety and understanding the reporting should be accurate even in an informal situation such as this. It because people watch videos like this thinking that they are seeing real force 10 that they get all surprised and panic when it actually happens and then they think that it is a hurricane and hit the red button!

I especially enjoy seeing the race boats at high speed in a breeze..

No bandwidth here to upload videos, I'm on a boat and a budget
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 17:31   #335
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
I'm not missing the point. But for everybodies safety and understanding the reporting should be accurate even in an informal situation such as this. It because people watch videos like this thinking that they are seeing real force 10 that they get all surprised and panic when it actually happens and then they think that it is a hurricane and hit the red button!

I especially enjoy seeing the race boats at high speed in a breeze..

No bandwidth here to upload videos, I'm on a boat and a budget
The reporting was accurate and the wind gauge calibrated properly, maybe it's time to check your own? Nobody claimed to be in Force 10 conditions, the last one I checked, 40-49knots was considered Force 9... which is what is accurately show in several of the videos. Whether you believe it or not. Would you prefer I head the boat directly into the wind next time? I'm quite sure taking a video of water continuously splashing onto the camera lens wouldn't be of much interest to most people on YouTube or this forum. :-)

Another thing... Try to lighten up a bit and enjoy the video. Be glad someone took the time to record and edit it for those who haven't experienced the same conditions. I personally enjoyed all of the videos posted on this thread and encourage more people to post.

Like I wrote earlier... post some of your own videos on YouTube to share with us.
Old 07-05-2016, 18:10   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The reporting was accurate and the wind gauge calibrated properly, maybe it's time to check your own? Nobody claimed to be in Force 10 conditions, the last one I checked, 40-49knots was considered Force 9... which is what is accurately show in several of the videos. Whether you believe it or not. Would you prefer I head the boat directly into the wind next time? I'm quite sure taking a video of water continuously splashing onto the camera lens wouldn't be of much interest to most people on YouTube or this forum. :-)

Another thing... Try to lighten up a bit and enjoy the video. Be glad someone took the time to record and edit it for those who haven't experienced the same conditions. I personally enjoyed all of the videos posted on this thread and encourage more people to post.

Like I wrote earlier... post some of your own videos on YouTube to share with us.
Haha touchy!

Mine is actually pretty accurate and traceable to known calibration sources with appropriate documentation; but that's not really the point is it.

How high is your mast?

Have you correctly applied the calibration factor for the height of the instrument above water?

This is compensate for the standard measuring height of 10m or 33ft.

1/*0.233+0.656xlog10(h+4.75)

Lets call it 66 feet or 20m that means you multiply by .87
40 to 49 = 34.8 to 42.6.... I would let you have that.

Do you understand the Beaufort scale and its very accurate description of how the water looks? You'll probably find it more accurate than most yacht instruments.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29   #337

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

This is an interesting video. Shows some decent sized waves. Watch the horizon. Note the bigger breakers aren't aligned with the seas. Probably a solid force 9-10 with a proper sea running. Prehaps a bit of current in the drake?

Maybe a faster boat might outrun those crests, or at least reduce the impact somewhat, but where there is breakers like that there are also big holes you fall into. And the impact of that breaker hitting the higher topsides of a more modern hull is spectacular.

We must have been hit with something like that on the 64 foot schooner we sailed to south america. It swept the deck and flooded the centre cockpit, then went below and sloshed around the saloon for a while. Fortunately it hit exactly square on the stern, more by good luck than anything.

We were surfing pretty fast on that boat at times occasionally up into the 20's, she is a lot faster than most cruising boats, kind of dashew like aluminium thing, but the speed didnt help all that much in this case.

I have some footage of another blow on the way. It wasnt all that bad, and the seas were pretty small, but even then one rogue caught us. Sorry it is a bit long..

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05   #338

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
This is an interesting video. Shows some decent sized waves. Watch the horizon. Note the bigger breakers aren't aligned with the seas. Probably a solid force 9-10 with a proper sea running. Prehaps a bit of current in the drake?

Maybe a faster boat might outrun those crests, or at least reduce the impact somewhat, but where there is breakers like that there are also big holes you fall into. And the impact of that breaker hitting the higher topsides of a more modern hull is spectacular.

We must have been hit with something like that on the 64 foot schooner we sailed to south america. It swept the deck and flooded the centre cockpit, then went below and sloshed around the saloon for a while. Fortunately it hit exactly square on the stern, more by good luck than anything.

We were surfing pretty fast on that boat at times occasionally up into the 20's, she is a lot faster than most cruising boats, kind of dashew like aluminium thing, but the speed didnt help all that much in this case.

I have some footage of another blow on the way. It wasnt all that bad, and the seas were pretty small, but even then one rogue caught us. Sorry it is a bit long..

Was that Chris Bray in the middle one?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:27   #339

Yes, I had to put up with BOTH Chris and Clark... It was a fun trip.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2016, 06:30   #340
cruiser

Thanks for sharing all three videos, I really enjoyed the third one showing the crew responding to the worsening conditions. Everyone looks calm and just gets on with the task at hand.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:37   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

I think the Dagmaar Ann video is somewhere off the Argentine coast so probably in the Falklands current. More yachts have been in trouble north of the Falklands where the Falklands plate meets the continental shelf than anywhere else in the region. The current sweeps around the Falklands and follows the shelf setting NW right into the NWly's at times making things very nasty. A bit further north and east you have some of the Brazil current setting south to add spice. I usually try to hook into that when heading south as it shows up well on the satellite images.

Blizzard is a funny/interesting boat! I can't decide whether I like her or not.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:31   #342

Boat: Westerly Sealord

When the sea starts heading up to 60 knots the sea starts to smoke.... this was a young wind in sheltered waters... peaked at a steady somewhere north of sixty breeze...

Second pic.... a decent breeze gives you a sea you can see the sun shining through...

Third pic.... wind no more than 40 knots... note the ruffling on the lee of the wave... horizon? what horizon??

Some nice pics of oceanic sea state v wind force here.... they are the official UK Met Department ones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020469.JPG.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	123922   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010046_1 (1).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	123923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010040_1 (1).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	123924  
Old 08-05-2016, 14:13   #343

Here are a couple more.
The first is just a fresh day, we had 70' during the night but it was well down at this point - also have video of this. The second and third are in gusts that were hitting the 80s but not sure what exactly what it was when I got the pics. The last is a screen grab from a video but I don't have bandwidth to put it online. The last two are in Scontorp Cove, Deception Island where we were sheltering!
Old 08-05-2016, 15:05   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
I think the Dagmaar Ann video is somewhere off the Argentine coast so probably in the Falklands current. More yachts have been in trouble north of the Falklands where the Falklands plate meets the continental shelf than anywhere else in the region. The current sweeps around the Falklands and follows the shelf setting NW right into the NWly's at times making things very nasty. A bit further north and east you have some of the Brazil current setting south to add spice. I usually try to hook into that when heading south as it shows up well on the satellite images.

Blizzard is a funny/interesting boat! I can't decide whether I like her or not.
Makes sense about the Falkland/Brazil currents. I had meant to say Le Maire not Drake. Now there is a scary place!

Blizzard is a pretty impressive boat to sail. Long, lean and light she is extremely easily driven. She Draws abou 4.5 foot with the board up. I think we averaged about 170 nm per day sailing pretty conservatively and not really motoring much at all.

Shes not real flash to windward, but in open ocean not many boats really are. She looks underrigged, but she slipped along in the lightest of winds. That modern schooner rig was very easily handled.

Just needs some proper protection for the helm. I got trench foot on my fingers from the almost constantly wet gloves.
Old 08-05-2016, 15:09   #345

Ha Chris, Deception island is well named. What a prick of a place. Got caught there in similar stuff. Honestly dont know how the anchor held, maybe I dropped it down a volcanic vent? I ran a long 10mm nylon snubber on the 60 foot boat to reduce the load on the anchor. Seemed to work, but we ricocheted around the caldera all day.

I like that second photo, you dont often see Roger being pummeled like that. He normally finds the one sheltered patch!

Tags
oyster, yacht