Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 03:20   #196

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Rollocks...
no cruiser would be sailing or going upwind as shown in those vids... cruisers would be going down hill with a #3 storm jib up and sitting downstairs tucking into a lamb roast..

but what would I know....
The point is Ping, Cruisers DO get caught out in rough weather like that, and thats what makes the vid relevant. Not what the racers are doing.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:23   #197

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerB View Post
Apparently how to make a lamb roast while underway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butterflyed...(sp) so it lays flat and doesnt roll about.... sort of a roadkill sort of a thing...
200g per head...small roast..... maybe 700g.....
Old 13-03-2016, 03:27   #198

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
another question: what if boat capsizes 180 deg? What does crew do ? Cant go inside as all doors are closed, i guess.

Hold breath and hope it will do 360 deg within next 1 minute?
Are we talking multi or mono here??
Old 13-03-2016, 03:35   #199

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Are we talking multi or mono here??
mono, when rolled. TO 180 deg or so
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:56   #200
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Quote:
WOW ! cool video.

Question for mono experts: only crewed, proper weight distributed mono can sail against wind/seas like this ?

1 person operation somehow cant see how can be done.
As someone said.. these are boats in a race.. fully crewed and a years prep with extra strong rigs etc..
The average cruising boat if coastal and not sailed by an idiot would have made a port before this..
And if offshore.. a solo would be hove to and down below resting for if the SHTF.. why stress the boat and yourself needlessly.. to many think one needs to fight the weather.. you don't.. just halve the resistance and go with the flow..
Fight into it.. things will break or tear..
Running before increases the time in those conditions..
Hove to.. it passes quicker.. just pick the right tack.
Ever notice how many boats perform better on one tack than the other..

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 07:08   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Rollocks...
no cruiser would be sailing or going upwind as shown in those vids... cruisers would be going down hill with a #3 storm jib up and sitting downstairs tucking into a lamb roast..

but what would I know....
Not so.

Last September as we departed Calvi, Corsica, we watched a number of cruising boats head out westward around the point in 35-40 knot winds with a sea state looking just like the Sidney race video. Everyone including us, was heading out in order to not get stuck there by weather for the next week. From high up in the Citadelle, we looked down on the steady parade of boats under 60ft in length as they battled straight into the swells and wind prior to our departure. I

It's really not as bad as it appears, you just need to have confidence in the boat and your ability to make decisions on the fly... and wear a harness and tether.

You will get soaked, it's sometimes spooky when the waves are steep, but you just need to stay focused and not allow the waves to hit you on the beam. Progress will be slow and the shoreline rocks look quite menacing, but in our case we always had a backup plan, sailing with our mainsail and Genoa partially unfurled, in case we needed to turn around and head back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	120594  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 07:29   #202
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As someone said.. these are boats in a race.. fully crewed and a years prep with extra strong rigs etc..
The average cruising boat if coastal and not sailed by an idiot would have made a port before this..
And if offshore.. a solo would be hove to and down below resting for if the SHTF.. why stress the boat and yourself needlessly.. to many think one needs to fight the weather.. you don't.. just halve the resistance and go with the flow..
Fight into it.. things will break or tear..
Running before increases the time in those conditions..
Hove to.. it passes quicker.. just pick the right tack.
Ever notice how many boats perform better on one tack than the other..

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
Sometimes, us idiots do head out into weather like that ... Not knowingly a Force 10, but 30-35 knots is surely nothing extreme. Everyone who plans on doing some extensive cruising should know how to confidently handle this sort of conditions.

If one doesn't have the confidence that the boat one is on can handle 35 knots, maybe.... It's time to get a different boat? Or... Practice and build up some confidence.
Old 13-03-2016, 07:37   #203
cruiser

I watched this video yesterday, and quite honestly, I don't understand why people like the ones in the video choose to hove to in 30 knot winds with a relatively flat sea state...

Our boat is an absolute riot to sail in those conditions. Main sail furled to 50%, staysail 100% or Genoa 50%

If one doesn't practice or know how to sail in 30-35 knot winds, and their only choice is to hove to... What does the same person do when confronted with a lee shore when the situation eventually presents itself?
Old 13-03-2016, 08:17   #204
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Subscribed

(Just being different )
Old 13-03-2016, 08:43   #205

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I watched this video yesterday, and quite honestly, I don't understand why people like the ones in the video choose to hove to in 30 knot winds with a relatively flat sea state...

Our boat is an absolute riot to sail in those conditions. Main sail furled to 50%, staysail 100% or Genoa 50%

If one doesn't practice or know how to sail in 30-35 knot winds, and their only choice is to hove to... What does the same person do when confronted with a lee shore when the situation eventually presents itself?
That is odd. Even more odd having put that on the net as something one to be proud off.

I don't mow what you guts call exactly a squall (the definition seems to vary) but I would say it is : "..short but furious rainstorm with strong winds, often small in area and moving at high speed, especially as a maritime term. "

The wind does not appear to be 30 k anyway and I believe the basic precaution is to reef the sails a bit waiting for that increase of wind. These guys on a little Dehler 32, going upwind did not even bother to reef the boat (they have only the 1st reef in), just opened the traveler and let go the sails a bit, going in the wind when the gusts are stronger, waiting it to pass to resume racing at full speed...and that is certainly a squall.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:28   #206

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
WOW ! cool video.

Question for mono experts: only crewed, proper weight distributed mono can sail against wind/seas like this ?

1 person operation somehow cant see how can be done.

Not all monos are equal. For sailing on these conditions upwind you basically need a very stiff boat, a thing that normally performance cruisers are and racers, for sure. The crew is not important if you can reef the boat from the cockpit.

On my previous boat, a Bavaria 36 I would not be making way upwind on very hard conditions (not enough power) on my actual boat, that is a performance cruiser, yes it can sail on hard conditions upwind.

You can see on this video, that includes some of the images of the first one (the same big boat), several smaller race boats and performance cruisers going upwind in very nasty conditions.

Typically solo boats are open class type boats(more initial stability, less heel). They go upwind not so close to the wind (not so fast regarding VPP) but with power, speed, less heel and more easy on the autopilot.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 02:38   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

A massive LOL to that video

The boat is a Swan 48 and it hove to in those conditions LOL LOL LOL

I read the comments on YT and in responding to the post "Heaving to with a 30 knots wind??? What is the point? Certainly not a good decision for MO' seasickness being shaken like crazy with no control." the video author responded "It certainly was the right decision. The point is not to overstress the boat and the crew. 30 knots is a lot of wind. The motion of the boat when heaving to is far more comfortable and manageable than when underway in 30 knots of wind."

The video poster seems to be the captain of the Swan 48 and sails her for the owner. Maybe the person "MO" is the owner or owners wife and maybe the captain hove to is to keep the passengers happy????

I would be too embarrassed to post the video unless it included an explanation about comfort for non-sailors onboard

Still LOL
Old 14-03-2016, 03:08   #208

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
A massive LOL to that video

The boat is a Swan 48 and it hove to in those conditions LOL LOL LOL

I read the comments on YT and in responding to the post "Heaving to with a 30 knots wind??? What is the point? Certainly not a good decision for MO' seasickness being shaken like crazy with no control." the video author responded "It certainly was the right decision. The point is not to overstress the boat and the crew. 30 knots is a lot of wind. The motion of the boat when heaving to is far more comfortable and manageable than when underway in 30 knots of wind."

The video poster seems to be the captain of the Swan 48 and sails her for the owner. Maybe the person "MO" is the owner or owners wife and maybe the captain hove to is to keep the passengers happy????

I would be too embarrassed to post the video unless it included an explanation about comfort for non-sailors onboard

Still LOL
i am not into monos but I notice sometimes they swing wildly in near calm when anchored. I bet there is sea state when sailing that produces same kind of resonance movement that can cause trauma to humans & boat, most likely downwind.

It is great you get more hull length for same amount of money than 20% shorter cat but nothing is free.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 05:07   #209

Boat: Able 50

That Swan 48 video makes no sense at all. Those things can handle 30 knots with ease. I can't be specific because I don't know what sail combos they had available. Anyway, all they had to do was put up slightly too little sail and wander along at 5 knots or so. Nice and easy.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 05:29   #210

Quote:
i am not into monos but I notice sometimes they swing wildly in near calm when anchored. I bet there is sea state when sailing that produces same kind of resonance movement that can cause trauma to humans & boat, most likely downwind.

It is great you get more hull length for same amount of money than 20% shorter cat but nothing is free.
We call that sailing at anchor but there is no relation between that and sailing at sea, none! Sometimes the boats that lay steady at anchor are hard to control in big winds at sea but again, no relationship
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster, yacht