Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 10:34   #91

Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

I've found the iphone app "Sea State" to be quite accurate:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.PNG
Views:	166
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	118537  
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:45   #92

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Ken/Muckle/Dockhead -- Very informative comments about sail configuration because I also have in-mast mainsail furling with a loose-footed main, along with a detachable inner forestay about 40% back from the bow to the mast. Nice to have confirmation about the mainsail being used effectively as a trysail, something which I always figured but haven't often heard repeated.

One likely difference in my set-up is that my staysail and storm jib (the latter never used, thankfully) are both designed for the inner forestay and are also hank-on, for better or worse. Like what you guys have described, my staysail is smallish, relatively flat & high-cut, and made from heavy cloth.

So one question: Do you guys find it advantageous -- perhaps only on a reach? -- to fly the staysail along with the jib? Not sure about Dock's Moody, but I think the Oysters are cutter-rigged, i.e. with the mast set further back, at least in theory. Whereas my Bristol is a sloop rig (or "slutter"), and the winch configuration doesn't seem to lend itself to running two headsails. I got tired of the hassle of flying my big 130% genoa and now favor my higher cut Yankee jib, so it might be interesting to see if I can make up a little speed by also flying the staysail -- in moderate conditions that is.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:50   #93
cruiser

In nice weather up to around 20 knots, we fly the staysail along with the jib and main sail. Our first reef is usually the mainsail or a little from the jib just because it's easiest with the hydraulic furling mechanisms. It only takes a few seconds.

I can't help you regarding Gale or storm conditions, because we generally try to avoid them. But we got caught out this time trying to catch airline flights to Rome.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:51   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Thanks Yukon. I'll have to check that out, as I'm pretty confident my own ability to judge wave hgt. sucks!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
How does the app work? Does it use weather data via the internet of actual observation?

The reason I ask, is that offshore weather is often much different in reality than what's being forecast.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:59   #96

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Ken: Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

All: Seems to me that the best method for estimating wave height at sea is to position ones eye (or camera lens) at the height at which the wave tops JUST meet the distant horizon when the boat is in the troughs. Wave height will then be roughly equal to the camera height above water line. Boat pitching or plunging may make the above inaccurate so the best position for the eye (or camera) is probably amidships.

A video camera is probably the best tool for the above analysis as one can review the data later, and in a relaxed state of mind.

In the video below, the camera is consistently at about 6 feet above waterline. A few of the waves just block the horizon, with the one at 0:34 being the most prominent. I estimate this wave train at 4 to 6 feet.

Steve

Great vid! Tks / Len
Old 07-02-2016, 11:01   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
In nice weather up to around 20 knots, we fly the staysail along with the jib and main sail. Our first reef is usually the mainsail or a little from the jib just because it's easiest with the hydraulic furling mechanisms. It only takes a few seconds.

I can't help you regarding Gale or storm conditions, because we generally try to avoid them. But we got caught out this time trying to catch airline flights to Rome.
Well, judging by the smile/smirk(?) on your face at the beginning of the video, it didn't seem like you were all that disappointed. Hopefully you, and more importantly Mrs. Mac, were still smiling at the end.

Kinda nice already having the staysail up should conditions deteriorate. Just a matter of rolling in the jib and main as needed. Wouldn't work downwind obviously, and may or may not be productive close-hauled. Every boat would respond differently I'm sure.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:02   #98
cruiser

Deblen,

Awesome video, thanks for your contribution.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:02   #99

Quote:
While crossing the Strait of Bonifacio in late September 2015 on our Oyster 53 sailing yacht, we encountered Force 9.5 sustained (40-50 knot) winds and 20-25 foot (7-8 meter) seas. We expected 38 knots while threading the needle between two storm fronts, but instead... we got a little more.

Please enjoy the ride!

I know some folks will be curious as to what preparations we made and the sails used, so here goes...

Since the seas were going to be behind us or broadside, we had only our main sail up furled to less than 25%, and chose to have the staysail ready but to not use it unless we absolutely needed to do so. Our staysail furling line had issues and it was somewhat doubtful that I'd be able to furl in the sail. The 100hp Yanmar engine was running at 2200rpm (40-50hp) mainly to aid with steering. Mostly, we were surfing.

The Strait of Bonifacio is the passage between Corsica and Sardinia in the Mediterranean Sea.
Great vid. Very impressive boat! No dishes breaking or crew flying about!

Cheers/ Len
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06   #100

Quote:
Well.... You asked for it.

Sounds just like home here in a winter breeze.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:11   #101

Boat: Union 36

Thanks for sharing, great video, great boat.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:22   #102

Quote:
How does the app work? Does it use weather data via the internet of actual observation?

The reason I ask, is that offshore weather is often much different in reality than what's being forecast.
I presume it uses the iPhone's accelerometer, gyroscope, and motion coprocessor. However, I cannot find an app called either "Sea State" or "SeaState" in the App Store. Can someone confirm the exact name of the app?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I presume it uses the iPhone's accelerometer, gyroscope, and motion coprocessor. However, I cannot find an app called either "Sea State" or "SeaState" in the App Store. Can someone confirm the exact name of the app?
Must be for non-Apple devices only, or called something different. I couldn't find it either.

Actually, I assumed it required internet access so it could report buoy data, but don't know.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56   #104

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

Too bad, - I can't view the video because of the music. Youtube won' open it here in Germany because of the music. It says it violates copyrights here in Germany
Regards
Ingo
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18   #105

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I cant download video.

I don't want to criticize anyone, but also want to avoid other people adopting this sailing technique, unless carefully considered...and understood.

As I understand, boat sailed under mainsail only and engine....well... classic practice is to deploy a jib, or better a staysail, with a further reef on main, and no! Engine!

Engine, if necessary, was used to avoid stopping between waves!? In 40+ winds I doubt so, and btw a main reefed at 75% seems way too large in such conditions.

I agree that speed is required to avoid the boat steering upwind after rolling downwind, but, again...surfing with a displacement boat is just dangerous in big seas.

Sorry if I tend to disagree with your tactics.. I believe you will act differently so far you repair your staysail furler :-)
Finally, we may suppose that, on reaching, your apparent wind was a bit lower than stated, wasn't it!?
That channel is narrow and dangerous, and winds always surge through it.

Good to get through it safe&clean on a big boat, but quite a hazard on anything below 40' LOA.

I say it to warn anyone with much lesser boats :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster, yacht