Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 16:09   #31

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

This is more than F9 in my eyes, I mean a F7 or F8 is not big deal in the open, those conditions are more likely f10 or f11...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:14   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yeah its hard to get perspective when there is nothing in the field that gives you a measurement aid. The wave could be 1 ft high or 100. Unless there something floating which we can reference, it could be anything.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:21   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I still think the camera exaggerates less than the sailor. Me included because I way overstated wave heights once and then upon reflection and review of the videos determined the waves to be around half what I thought.

Though this boat isn't sailing the video is probably the most impressive I've seen of wicked conditions on a small boat.

Old 06-02-2016, 16:26   #34

Great video!! Thanks for posting.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:31   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Nice boat though indeed. Always wanted to be on Kenomac's boat going around and around and around backwards and forwards with him on it or knot. WHEEEEEEEEE! Now I know what it's like.
Monkey Man,

It was definitely an "E" ticket ride! Did you have fun?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:33   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Here's the North Sea in an F9:

and to make it even more fun there's large area's all over that are as little as knee deep LW on a calm day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:05   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
and to make it even more fun there's large area's all over that are as little as knee deep LW on a calm day..
I bet you've got some stories to tell. Any videos to share?
Old 06-02-2016, 17:27   #38

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Ken: Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

All: Seems to me that the best method for estimating wave height at sea is to position ones eye (or camera lens) at the height at which the wave tops JUST meet the distant horizon when the boat is in the troughs. Wave height will then be roughly equal to the camera height above water line. Boat pitching or plunging may make the above inaccurate so the best position for the eye (or camera) is probably amidships.

A video camera is probably the best tool for the above analysis as one can review the data later, and in a relaxed state of mind.

In the video below, the camera is consistently at about 6 feet above waterline. A few of the waves just block the horizon, with the one at 0:34 being the most prominent. I estimate this wave train at 4 to 6 feet.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:30   #39

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Wow. What a ride. Really great vid. Those visuals plus that particular music together... Well, "joie de vivre" comes to mind.

And especially at approx 2:30 - 2:50 ......... I could almost FEEL the boat dancing over those waves!

Thank you for posting this.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:43   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Wow. What a ride. Really great vid. Those visuals plus that particular music together... Well, "joie de vivre" comes to mind.

And especially at approx 2:30 - 2:50 ......... I could almost FEEL the boat dancing over those waves!

Thank you for posting this.
Thanks so much for the nice compliment.

Ken
Old 06-02-2016, 17:47   #41

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Really interesting Ken -- the Oyster in big seas and the velodrome. I take it the velo bikes are similar to time trial bikes?

Pammymac looks so calm -- made me wonder what conditions it would take to get her riled up??
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:11   #42

companionway open in bad seas? hmmmm....
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:15   #43

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Just watched Ken's video again on my big screen -- outstanding! Gave it a thumbs up and put it into my youTube fav file.

Seemed like the wind & boat speed instruments over the companionway weren't working properly, but it certainly looked like the boat was carrying good speed through the water, especially with so little sail up. In hindsight, do you think it would have been preferable to fly the staysail only on that point of sail, assuming the furling gear had been OK? How'd the helm feel with that much wind and just some mainsail up? Didn't look you were struggling.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:52   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just watched Ken's video again on my big screen -- outstanding! Gave it a thumbs up and put it into my youTube fav file.

Seemed like the wind & boat speed instruments over the companionway weren't working properly, but it certainly looked like the boat was carrying good speed through the water, especially with so little sail up. In hindsight, do you think it would have been preferable to fly the staysail only on that point of sail, assuming the furling gear had been OK? How'd the helm feel with that much wind and just some mainsail up? Didn't look you were struggling.
Our hull speed is 9 knots and we were making a steady 7.5-8 knots as I recall, so no need for any more or less sail. The ride was comfortable, not unpleasant, probably just about the right amount of heel. If the staysail furling line was 100% operational and not missing a very key 1 foot of cover where it passes through a block, we probably would have just flown the staysail, but... using only the less than 25% main worked out just fine, the helm was well balanced. Heading into the wind our boat definitely requires the jib, but on that point of sail, we were fine. The cockpit instruments are working well except for the knot meter which I never clean. We use GPS for speed. Our wind speed indicator is very accurate, I've compared it to my hand held many times.

If I was able to do this over again, the one thing I would have changed is the clothing I was wearing.... I was freezing after 8 hours in the wet hoody.

Next time... I'll wear my light weight wetsuit.
Old 06-02-2016, 18:59   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
companionway open in bad seas? hmmmm....
We never felt in danger of taking on any water, plus the companionway is much higher off the waterline on our center cockpit than on an aft cockpit boat. Surely, if the conditions had worsened and we began taking more water over the bow or at risk of taking a breaking wave onto the stern, the companionway door would have been in place. We were mostly surfing down the swells at a 45 degree angle, and easily coming up over the waves.

Tags
oyster, yacht