Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 15:21   #346

Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

You guys are pissing with the big dogs, great vids by the way.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 15:39   #347

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Makes sense about the Falkland/Brazil currents. I had meant to say Le Maire not Drake. Now there is a scary place! ......
Le Maire is a pussy.....

Now there is arse and there is class.... I have very little class but lots of arse..

The scariest thing for me on that RG coast is the lightning.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0147.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	123929   Click image for larger version

Name:	04181922a (1).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	123930  

Old 08-05-2016, 15:47   #348

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340

Practicality has a beauty all of its own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aqualibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 16:41   #349

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Le Maire is a pussy.....

Now there is arse and there is class.... I have very little class but lots of arse..

Yep hate lightning too! Only went through lemare once, after waiting out a big SW tucked up in isla de los estatdos. The left over swell breaking in what was near slack water over on the island side was sobering. Not a place I would want to be in some serious seas. We were late for a charter otherwise we would have waited another day.

Just in case anyone got the wrong idea I wasnt on Dagmar, the first video I posted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2016, 17:28   #350
cruiser

El Pinguino, Littlechay and Snowpetrel,

Great pictures! Keep 'em coming. When you get some decent wifi, load a couple of your videos onto you tube and be sure to post the links on this thread.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 19:20   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Le Maire is a pussy.....

Whats that second picture ping. Looks like skyeye but with another layer I am not familiar with over it?
Old 08-05-2016, 19:22   #352

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Makes sense about the Falkland/Brazil currents. I had meant to say Le Maire not Drake. Now there is a scary place!

Blizzard is a pretty impressive boat to sail. Long, lean and light she is extremely easily driven. She Draws abou 4.5 foot with the board up. I think we averaged about 170 nm per day sailing pretty conservatively and not really motoring much at all.

Shes not real flash to windward, but in open ocean not many boats really are. She looks underrigged, but she slipped along in the lightest of winds. That modern schooner rig was very easily handled.

Just needs some proper protection for the helm. I got trench foot on my fingers from the almost constantly wet gloves.
I'm sure you've seen it, but here is the sales ad for Blizzard... looks like a good buy

1992 Radford 20 M Expedition Yacht Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Matt
Old 08-05-2016, 19:32   #353

Ha, I was driving the dinghy when we took those sailing photos. Some are in the Auckland islands. South of NZ The others are a few hundred miles out of Puerto Mont, chile. She certainly is a great buy at that price.

The best shot is her blasting along with the two headsails set downwind. This was a very easy and fast downwind combo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2016, 19:53   #354

Quote:
Ha Chris, Deception island is well named. What a prick of a place. Got caught there in similar stuff. Honestly dont know how the anchor held, maybe I dropped it down a volcanic vent? I ran a long 10mm nylon snubber on the 60 foot boat to reduce the load on the anchor. Seemed to work, but we ricocheted around the caldera all day.

I like that second photo, you dont often see Roger being pummeled like that. He normally finds the one sheltered patch!
Your right there: Although I did meet my missus there! Spent six weeks or so there supporting some penguin counters. They made a film called "The Penguin Counters" that you might be able to find online.

A large print of that photo hangs in the saloon of Australis; there is an epic tale of Roger having to cut away the main in Deception the year before that pic. The only surviving piece about half a handkerchief hangs in the saloon too!

Here's a pic of the RADAR one other night when we couldn't get a pick to hold, this time on PA.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 20:08   #355

Quote:
Whats that second picture ping. Looks like skyeye but with another layer I am not familiar with over it?
Wxtoimg far superior to SkyEye and always has been. Software only you need a receiver. I use the APT-06 and their active crossed dipole antenna.

No connection with either company but very happy with their products.
Old 08-05-2016, 20:13   #356

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Wxtoimg far superior to SkyEye and always has been. Software only you need a receiver. I use the APT-06 and their active crossed dipole antenna.

No connection with either company but very happy with their products.
Ditto, except I use an Icom R-1500 as the receiver.... met a bloke once who was using a bearcat scanner .
Old 08-05-2016, 20:37   #357

Thanks Chris and Ping, that looks like great software. I hadn't heard of this one. One day maybe I can justify getting the hardware setup...

For those that dont know this system gives you a near real time look from above directly from the Satellites as they pass overhead. Often you get this info long before even a forcaster gets hold of it in remote parts of the world. Its pretty neat, especially with gribs overlayed over it!
Old 08-05-2016, 21:53   #358

Quote:
For those that dont know this system gives you a near real time look from above directly from the Satellites as they pass overhead. Often you get this info long before even a forcaster gets hold of it in remote parts of the world. Its pretty neat, especially with gribs overlayed over it!
Serious topic drift here but for those that want to overlay GRIBS on Wx satellite images you can do it very easily using the Fax plugin in OpenCPN. Just set WxtoImg to save the images in Mercator projection, you set the coordinates of the corners WxtoImg and use those same coordinates when you import the image to OCPN, setting up WxtoImg to print grid lines helps. Open the GRIB for the same time as satellite pass that the image was made from and there you are; instant sanity check on the GRIB.

Tags
oyster, yacht