Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2016, 06:33   #211

Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerB View Post
How does anyone these days actually go and get the experience required to handle those situations while crossing an ocean?
My plan is to go sailing. After learning the nuances of my soon to be boat in fair weather, I will go sailing in worse weather. Eventually leaving the safety of the St. Johns river in N.E. Florida and heading into the Atlantic during noreasters, gradually sailing with stronger and stronger winds.

I will be taking baby steps to learn.

Eventually I will be able to handle similar situations with experience.

However.....50 knot winds? 30 foot seas? I think I'd rather avoid them, but Kenomac makes it look easy.

Old 14-03-2016, 06:41   #212
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sometimes, us idiots do head out into weather like that ... Not knowingly a Force 10, but 30-35 knots is surely nothing extreme. Everyone who plans on doing some extensive cruising should know how to confidently handle this sort of conditions.

If one doesn't have the confidence that the boat one is on can handle 35 knots, maybe.... It's time to get a different boat? Or... Practice and build up some confidence.
Cheers mate.. I'll take your advice on board..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:09   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
However.....50 knot winds? 30 foot seas? I think I'd rather avoid them, but Kenomac makes it look easy.
We were in 40-49 knots with average 20ft choppy seas, if the condions had become worse... We would have had our hands full. Plus the point of sail in those conditions makes a HUGE difference. Beating into the wind would have been miserable and most likely impossible.
Old 14-03-2016, 07:51   #214

Boat: Tayan 48DS

Ken
I just purchased a 2006 Tayana 48DS which has 2006 Northstar 6100 over companion way entrance and at nav station and radar with B & G sail instruments everything works. I want to add AIS, wifi and a more modern plotter program such as a nobeltec program on lap top.
I am trying to get an impartial opinion as to what to add or change intend to do Caribbean starting this fall. If you could give me your thoughts would be appreciated. svoasis48@gmail.com
Thanks
Bob Gaiman
Old 14-03-2016, 09:29   #215

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That is odd. Even more odd having put that on the net as something one to be proud off.

I don't mow what you guts call exactly a squall (the definition seems to vary) but I would say it is : "..short but furious rainstorm with strong winds, often small in area and moving at high speed, especially as a maritime term. "

The wind does not appear to be 30 k anyway and I believe the basic precaution is to reef the sails a bit waiting for that increase of wind. These guys on a little Dehler 34, going upwind did not even bother to reef the boat (they have only the 1st reef in), just opened the traveler and let go the sails a bit, going in the wind when the gusts are stronger, waiting it to pass to resume racing at full speed...and that is certainly a squall.
Sorry, forget to post the Dehler 34 video on a 55K squall. Here it is:
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:38   #216

That wind speed was certainly embellished, don't believe that for a moment. A squall for sure, and some lightning thrown in for fun but no one carries that much sail in 55 knots of wind and stays on their feet.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:54   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svoasis48 View Post
Ken
I just purchased a 2006 Tayana 48DS which has 2006 Northstar 6100 over companion way entrance and at nav station and radar with B & G sail instruments everything works. I want to add AIS, wifi and a more modern plotter program such as a nobeltec program on lap top.
I am trying to get an impartial opinion as to what to add or change intend to do Caribbean starting this fall. If you could give me your thoughts would be appreciated. svoasis48@gmail.com
Thanks
Bob Gaiman
Bob,

Congratulations! Your Tayana is an excellent, go anywhere in comfort boat.

We just upgraded our AIS to a Vector Watchmate Vision which is presently sitting in a box ready to be shipped to Italy in May for installation by yours truly. The Vision model has a built in wifi which will connect to the iPads and PCs which each run Nobeltec app and Nobeltec Odyssey, with the iPads also running the Inavx app. Each unit has two complete sets of Mediterranean charts, both Raster and Vector. Nobeltec offers great 3D overviews and the highway type navigation while underway. I prefer the INavx app for anchoring, finer depth details and the ability to integrate with the Watchmate Vision AIS.

Our radar is a 24 mile Furuno unit that's 14 years old, but still doing a good job.

We also use two iPhone 6 smartphones with the INavx app and charts. All together, we have seven times redundancy for navigation... Eight if you include the paper charts, and ten if the Standard Horizon AIS hooked to the Garmin chart plotter are included.

What we don't have or need, is a dedicated helm-based chart plotter. Most of our navigating takes place from behind the dry security of our sprayhood/dodger or on the saloon table with one of the PCs running at the navigation table. The Nobeltec program will require one of those hockey puck GPS antennas for the PC. The iPads are the cellular models with 64gb and 128gb of memory, so no external GPS antenna is needed... they have an internal antenna.

The system works great for us, with not a single piece of gear letting us down in over six years of cruising. The iPads and iPhones are installed into Lifeproof nuud waterproof cases.

One detail to be aware of... The Nobeltec software requires a very specific graphics card in order to run. Check the specs on their website before purchasing the program or a new laptop to be sure they match up.

Ken
Old 14-03-2016, 10:46   #218

I like this bit of footage of a Leopard 39 catamaran sailing the Southern Ocean from Cape Town to Brisbane.

Old 14-03-2016, 11:06   #219

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, forget to post the Dehler 34 video on a 55K squall. Here it is:
Love the way that tie on the boom is fluttering.. sure the gauge was not set for KPH instead of knots..

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-03-2016, 11:08   #220

Yes I good breeze there, see they have a drogue out. A camera never really shows how large seas like this really are but these are big.
Old 14-03-2016, 11:14   #221

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Yes I good breeze there, see they have a drogue out. A camera never really shows how large seas like this really are but these are big.
It gets evil down there.. dipped my toe South off 40*.. did not like it so turned back N and ran.. fronts were coming through to fast

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-03-2016, 11:20   #222
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It looks quite windy to me in that Delher video. Seems like they got caught in an unexpected squall and we're trying to deal with it in more of a temporary basis during a race. Looks like the main was adjusted to basically dump wind and the small jib was powering them forward very slowly, but it's almost as though they are hove to with the boom parallel to the wind.

A good lesson for the many believers who think this can never happen to them due to today's "perfect weather forecasts."

Honestly, from what I've read here on many CF threads, more and more members are placing way too much faith in weather forecasts, and believing that only a dumbass idiot like me gets caught out in nasty weather. If you sail enough or race.... You will eventually get caught, so it's best to be prepared.

There are quite a few Skip Novak videos on foul weather sailing posted on YouTube which provide some good information.
Old 14-03-2016, 11:43   #223
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you won't pick up your anchor and sail off when it's blowing 30kts then you should not attempt off-shore passages.

This reminds me when we visited the Las Aves archipello in Venezuela: when we told the coastguard we would leave in the next hour or so, they told us we can't go because the weather is too bad. It was a blue sky paradise day with 30kts wind like most days there and we had a great sail to Bonaire with double digit speed all the way. Still, the coastguard must have had plenty of experience to base that warning on...

I saw this question earlier in the thread: how does a newb sailor prepare for this? Well, it doesn't work like that, you don't prepare. Instead, you go out on a 20-kts day and practise reefing, tacking, gybing etc. and when happy, you take it up to 25 kts, then 30. When out at 30 kts, you must be able to reef down enough to go slow. Try with just the jib or staysail or just go ahead and try out the orange storm jib. There is nothing special about 30 kts and I think every decently maintained sailboat can sail in 30 kts safely.

Then there is squalls; our experience is that it is exciting fun to around 45-47 kts and then it gets so ugly that you can't look in the wind direction anymore and must hold on for dear life. Still, as the squall rages on, after 5 minutes you start to get used to even that; grab a scuba mask and it's okay. It comes down to experience and adjusting to the next step up.

After all the years I've been sailing, I still need to adjust when we end up in a storm, even when I know I can handle it easily, I still get worried and keep checking everything until it all shows to be okay and then I can settle down. I think this is normal and good so that I don't become complacent. I sometimes find something isn't right and correct it in time so that tells me it is required.

Hope this explains a bit how it works
Old 14-03-2016, 11:43   #224

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
That wind speed was certainly embellished, don't believe that for a moment. A squall for sure, and some lightning thrown in for fun but no one carries that much sail in 55 knots of wind and stays on their feet.

There is a lot of spray on the air and that is consistent with winds well over 40k.

Regarding the sail what they are doing is pointing more and more to the wind with the front sail while they have the main on the first reef completely depowered and are sailing slowly. I bet you do the same when you are reefing sails, at least I do.

If they were cruisers they would have probably taken the main down, reefed the jib but they are racers, have the boat under control and are just waiting the squall to pass to resume racing, they don't want to lose time putting the main up again.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:41   #225
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
There is a lot of spray on the air and that is consistent with winds well over 40k.

Regarding the sail what they are doing is pointing more and more to the wind with the front sail while they have the main on the first reef completely depowered and are sailing slowly. I bet you do the same when you are reefing sails, at least I do.

If they were cruisers they would have probably taken the main down, reefed the jib but they are racers, have the boat under control and are just waiting the squall to pass to resume racing, they don't want to lose time putting the main up again.

Agreed, looks about 50 if this was 40 using the same technique you described

http://youtu.be/EBpjaJkbMQ0

Tags
oyster, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: