Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 12:22   #1

Outboard powered cat-Florida to San Juan

Owner of 38 ft cat with single 40 hp Mercury outboard for power has asked me to help take boat to San Juan from Florida. I've done the trip many times in 40+ ft diesel powered boats with no need to stop for fuel every hundred miles or so. Wondered if anyone had made a similar voyage and had any advice from the experience? Also am concerned about trying to go upwind in this boat against 10-20 kt tradewinds.

Thanks for any tips, advice, etc. Ed
dracoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 13:07   #2

Re: Outboard powered cat-Florida to San Juan

How does it sail?
Is it designed for outboard?
What is the range under power?

We have outboard power and a range of around 360miles on 50 gal of fuel. If I needed to get to SanJuan, I wouldn't be worried about the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35   #3

Thanks for your help. I don't recall make of cat but it's 36-38 ft and made with the outboard power-wasn't changed from inboard. I've only motorsailed the boat from Tarpon Springs to Ft Myers-about 100 miles-so I don't really know how she sails. But I assume OK. I don't know range and that's part of the problem. Looks like you get 7 mpg which is real good. This boat carries 70 gal total and if I assume say 5 mpg that's also around 350 mile range which would work.

April, May June are best for 'settled weather' but with el Nino, la Nina, etc going on I don't know what to expect for headwind strength to San Juan. Guess just have to start out and plan on anything from a one week to possibly 4+ week trip---

Thanks again for your help, Ed
dracoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Assuming the boat was designed with an outboard I would be fine with it. Most outboard cats are light and easily driven, and the outboard was chosen to reduce weight. Big chop may cause an issue, but any time there is that much chop there is also wind, and you should be sailing anyway.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoed View Post
Thanks for your help. I don't recall make of cat but it's 36-38 ft and made with the outboard power-wasn't changed from inboard. I've only motorsailed the boat from Tarpon Springs to Ft Myers-about 100 miles-so I don't really know how

SNIP
Have to wonder about someone on a boat for a 100 mile trip who does not know what kinda boat it is.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, outboard, san juan