Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2013, 08:08   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Ongoing Education - Master.. etc

Hi
Im interested in continuing qualifications and wondering about appropriate courses. I currently hold my coxswains certificate (Master on a fishing or trading vessel less than 12 m in length for inshore operations (within 15 n miles) )Coxswain Courses - 17 days and include all course requirements:
Nautical Knowledge
Engineering Knowledge
Onboard Tuition
Elements of Shipboard Safety (Level 2 First Aid, Liferafting & Firefighting)
Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency
What would follow this? Master V certificate or is there another internationally recognised licence? Is the yachtmaster offshore of any additional value to what I have already done?
Also I would be interested in completing a course while sailing the Med with my girlfriend. Are there any instructors that could come aboard with us to complete a course?
Thanks for any info
Monte.

Old 14-04-2013, 16:51   #2
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ongoing education - master v etc

The answer is , what do you want to do. If you want to go into the commercial side of leisure yachting , them RYA YM is useful, if you want to go commercial marine thats another story.

Dave

Old 14-04-2013, 17:00   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just want to learn as much as I can really. I wonder what additional things I would need to do to acquire the YM. It seems similar to the Coxswains Certificate. I would be interested in doing it though. is there any qualified instructors on CF ?
Old 14-04-2013, 17:05   #4
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am ( though Im not active)

Dave
Old 14-04-2013, 17:11   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Ongoing Education - Master.. etc

ok nice. So is it feasible to complete the YM course on board? Are you up for a couple of weeks in the Med?
Old 14-04-2013, 17:40   #6
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
ok nice. So is it feasible to complete the YM course on board? Are you up for a couple of weeks in the Med?
No as I said I dont get involved in teaching anymore.

Yes it is possible to complete a YM on Board, see below

Just a few things for you to consider

There is no YM Offshore "course". There is the YM Offshore Exam. which is carried out on board by a certified YM examiner ( who cannot be the instructor), this is a one day + some night hours on a boat, where you undertake a series of tasks, and skipper the vessel. This is typically done in tidal waters , otherwise you will get a non-tideal endorsement. Hence Gibraltar is about as far east in the Med as you'll get.

Examiners generally can only be requested via an authorised RYA school, whose principal is a RYA YM Instructor. see the RYA website for schools. You also can request a Examiner independently if you have your own boat

Some schools/YM instructors will offer a training week, or prep course, where they will go through the typical scenarios that an Examiner puts you through, sometime these courses are combined with a nice week sailing somewhere interesting. Furthermore some will then organise at the end of that week to arrange the YM exam and let you use the boat etc.

The only proviso for a YM offshore is 3500 nautical miles experience, most of which must be as skipper and must now be a series of voyages not just one big long one. ( addendum, I forgot that you also need a sea survival course, first aid cert and VHF cert)

Yachting Australia, has also teamed up with the RYA to offer their courses in Australia.

NOte there is a YM shorebased navigation course, that covers the theory side, ( charts weather etc) it isnt required for the YM, but can be useful, it doesnt specifically cover everything that is required for the YM exam either.
Dave
Old 14-04-2013, 18:01   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK great, thanks for the detailed explanation. Seems like that is worthwhile doing. I notice in Australia I can apply for Master V as well with that certificate. Will look into where I can do the course/exam.
Thanks again
Old 15-04-2013, 11:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm from the USA but in general I think any government approved courses and government licensing is a good thing and you should grab as many as you can if you plan if you plan on being on the water for most of your life.

I quickly made the money back on my master's license within a couple of months, but the knowledge I got from the course was really where the value was. I'm really looking forward to being able to take some additional professional maritime courses.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:35   #9
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again just to avoid confusion, there are two paths , leisure certification, often also used in the super yacht areana and charter yachts and professional merchant marine qualifications. They are two very different streams, Merchant marine qualifications assume you are in the industry and expect you to have significant sea time , leisure qualifications of which IMHO the YM is the pinnacle are usually speciifcally oriented to leisure vessels and have specific training in sail, they assume a combination of some time on the water combined with on-boat assessment.

Leisure certs rarely contain any government recognition other then proof of basic competency. ( and you wouldnt bother doing a YM just for that , its over kill)
Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 14:03   #10

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

I am busy with the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore course. It is a distance learning advanced course. The theory is one half. You then (after 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages. 5 days experience as skipper. At least half this mileage and passages must be in tidal waters. All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam).
Old 03-05-2013, 16:12   #11

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Monte,

Keep your seatime logged as you cruise and you will be able to sit your Master 5 on return to Australia. Current seatime is a big issue.

Cheers
Old 03-05-2013, 18:25   #12
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I am busy with the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore course. It is a distance learning advanced course. The theory is one half. You then (after 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages. 5 days experience as skipper. At least half this mileage and passages must be in tidal waters. All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam).
It should be pointed out that the theory course is not actually part of or required for the YM. Equally the theory will not cover some techniques needed in the exam ( like blind navigation) I strongly reccomend you do a exam prep course to give you am understanding of what's required on the YM practical exam.

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 19:49   #13

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It should be pointed out that the theory course is not actually part of or required for the YM. Equally the theory will not cover some techniques needed in the exam ( like blind navigation) I strongly reccomend you do a exam prep course to give you am understanding of what's required on the YM practical exam.

Dave
I am not going to do the theory alone. I am doing this out of interest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: