Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 23:48   #31

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Off Shore Swimming

Like many things, it is only scary until you are doing it. To me swimming in the deep is one of the perks of owning a boat.
Old 28-08-2014, 23:57   #32

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: Off Shore Swimming

stationed in Hawaii in the early 90's and we would reef dive and surf at night. Hell, some of our best surfing was at night due to the no locals turf war. I understand the fear, several times I felt like i was not alone, spearfishing, surfing, swimming day and night. But statistically, fear has always seemed more dangerous than the sharks. If I remember correctly, when I was in Hawaii, 6 fatal shark attacks were recorded. Not sure but I think that spanned 100 years. Sooooo, young and dumb or thirsty for thrills, in any case, sharks have not been a reason I won't go swimming.

Oh, and we go swimming offshore (to us, few miles or so) from the SWFL coast where bull sharks are everywhere even today. It's hot out there with no wind!!!
Old 29-08-2014, 01:16   #33

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

IMO, the danger from predators is much greater swimming in a Caribbean or Bahamas anchorage than mid-ocean.
As others, I've gone swimming mid-ocean several times. My only bad experience was the time I put on a dive mask and floated face down staring at the depths. I could see the sun streaks converging toward infinity below me and I suddenly felt like I was falling not floating. Once I took off the mask the vertigo went away and I enjoyed the rest of the swim.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:56   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last year in the Northern GOM, it was the year of the shark, I don't know if it was all the rain and poor vis that comes form that or what, but EVERY time we went diving we would run into usually a 5 to 7 ft. Bull, they were everywhere, I just gave up spearfishing for the year after one run in with a Hammerhead, but as far as I know no one got bit, Panama City is one of the busier dive spots so there are a lot of divers in the water and a lot of spear fishermen, but no one got bit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:59   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oh, and I've been led to believe that the danger time is early in the morning just after sunrise and late in the afternoon just before sunset. Don't know if that is when they hunt or just they can't see as well then or even if that's true.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:02   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Sure why not.

Many people do. I have never heard of a shark attack.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:19   #37

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Off Shore Swimming

An inshore event: Wifey and I waded ashore from anchored cat in Fl to get stuff. On the way back, after dark, we saw the sign: "Navarre Beach Shark Fishing Tournament Tonight". I tried conniving and pleading, and finally broke down in tears but Wifey would not go out to get boat and pick me up on the beach!

Being Captain is a lonely command.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:47   #38

Boat: Bristol 35

We swim in the gulf, the grand kids think it's a thrill and they love doing it. Hubby doesn't like us doing it- of course he fishes for sharks and knows what's out there. He stands watch while the kids and I get in and swim. We've never had any trouble. There was one time we were fishing, no wind, sun beating down and as I was getting ready to jump in and cool off a darn hammer head showed up- I soak my towel and laid in over me on the deck.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 18:19   #39

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

I think there is a statistic out there that says more people are killed by lamp posts than sharks!

Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 18:30   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Not many are killed by lamp posts when swimming though.

Coops.
Old 29-08-2014, 21:37   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
I think there is a statistic out there that says more people are killed by lamp posts than sharks!

Sue

Killed by lamp post=no big deal! you'll never know what hit ya.

Killed by shark=terrifying agonizing death!!

Sure, it's not very likely. At all. But that's not the point!

More power to all you mid ocean swimmers, you're braver than I!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 21:57   #42

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

Oh this is funny! When on anchor, swimming off the boat is, "what you do all the time", and close to shore is likely where all the hungry fish are. But to jump in way offshore and realize what an insignificant speck you are is scarry as hell! and I remember both times! When the boat in the big wide deep sea became perhaps 20 little meters away my heart skipped and I swam back to safety as fast as I could! Great magic never the less...
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 21:57   #43

When I was in the Navy, we were on our way to Australia, the Capt. announced a swim call right on the Equator. I happened to be Nav. watch and counted down as we hit 000 lat. They called a backing bell for a second and we stopped right on the equator. As everyone changed into swim trunks, the XO came by and told me to secure my watch and go for a swim.

By the time I got up on deck, there were guys jumping off of the fairwater planes (about 15ft above the deck) and there was about a 25 ft swell. Some of them timed it just right and got a 40' jump, I chose to just step into the water when it about 2' below the deck level. It was odd, looking in the distance the sea appeared calm and smooth, but you could see the swell on the side of the boat with the crest at almost deck level, and the trough so low you could see the vents on the bottom. The water was surprisingly warm.

We had a guy up in the sail with an M16 for shark watch. Later on I asked him if he was really supposed to shoot at sharks, he said he'd either shoot the shark or the guy closest to the shark, it was his choice. LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 07:06   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

There is an estimated 100.000,00 human attacks every month.

List of threatened sharks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is an estimated 1,00 shark attack every month:

Shark attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 07:29   #45

A number of years ago I was swimming off the boat in Hadley Harbor near Woods Hole Massachusetts. I had on an over-sized white T shirt to protect my back from the sun. I definitely felt something come up an hit my stomach and pinch it. I thought it must have been a very hungry and aggressive Bluefish. Flash forward a few years and there's a story of a Great White trapped in a pond off the harbor. Seems they like to use the harbor as a nursery to give birth to baby Great Whites. I think I would feel safer in the ocean after that encounter. But, I would trust but, verify before committing and stay close to the boat.