Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2009, 23:36   #1

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
No Such Thing as a Stern Pulpit!

I am not one of the legalistic fuddy duddies that knows all the right terminology, but it always grates when someone calls it a stern pullpit. It's not a stern pullpit, it is a pushpit. Easy to remember, pull from the front, push from the back.
Old 17-02-2009, 00:14   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
There is a kitchen on our boat and 2 bedrooms

But we do have a pushpit.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 00:18   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
and don't forget the dunny!!
Old 17-02-2009, 01:28   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I have front and back verandah rails.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 02:28   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I call things what makes them special to me!!!!

This is posted by Nicolle not Mark (the girl that keeps Sea Life looking clean and beautiful and makes yummy choc chip cookies at sea...lol). Hi I have not posted on the forum for such a long time, I forgot my login and I have also been busy playing with Sea Lions and doing all sorts of fun things around the world

I think (and so does Sea Life) it just doesn't matter what you call things as long as you are happy and having fun!

Everyone has their own special words for things on their boats and it makes them feel good to call it what they think it should be called.

Some people (like me) enjoy calling things by the regular land type of names (e.g. bedroom, kitchen etc etc) because Sea Life is my home and I like to feel comfortable and homely in our boat. Also when our land based friends come aboard to stay, they have no idea what a head or a galley really is.........and they don't even care.......they just want a spade to be called a spade.

So Marno call yours a pushpit if you like (it is very nice you make the effort to call it by the correct name and I understand you are just making a point about this one word), but don't get upset by what other people call it, don't let it grate you........just be happy!!!!.

I heard one cruiser call her toilet a toot recently and I thought that was fantastic..........very funny! It is her home and that is what she liked to call it.......so good on her!

We are are all different and like to do things our own special way........

I don't want my home to feel sterile and cold, having to call things by names that mean nothing to me (as a cruiser who never sailed before cruising), I want my home to feel personal, cosy and nice!

I do of course respect that some sailors are more traditional and prefer to use the correct terms, and when I speak with them I always use the proper language as they do. When talking to other cruisers/sailors etc I actually always listen for what people call things and then I just use that word whilst talking to them so that I make them feel special and there is no confusion during the conversation by changing the word.

It would only make someone feel bad if you were to correct them or point out that the word they like to use is wrong......does it really matter what anything is called? Ok. I agree we should ensure we call the safety equipment etc (things that are very important) by the correct name.

Anyway I am off to relax in my bedroom and have a nice sleep in my comfy bed.........because there really is no place like home!

Have a wonderful day!

Smiles

Nicolle

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:03   #6

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
I have a living room and a swimming pool in the basement
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:38   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This is posted by Nicolle not Mark (the girl that keeps Sea Life looking clean and beautiful and makes yummy choc chip cookies at sea...lol). Hi I have not posted on the forum for such a long time, I forgot my login and I have also been busy playing with Sea Lions and doing all sorts of fun things around the world

I think (and so does Sea Life) it just doesn't matter what you call things as long as you are happy and having fun!

Everyone has their own special words for things on their boats and it makes them feel good to call it what they think it should be called.

Some people (like me) enjoy calling things by the regular land type of names (e.g. bedroom, kitchen etc etc) because Sea Life is my home and I like to feel comfortable and homely in our boat. Also when our land based friends come aboard to stay, they have no idea what a head or a galley really is.........and they don't even care.......they just want a spade to be called a spade.

So Marno call yours a pushpit if you like (it is very nice you make the effort to call it by the correct name and I understand you are just making a point about this one word), but don't get upset by what other people call it, don't let it grate you........just be happy!!!!.

I heard one cruiser call her toilet a toot recently and I thought that was fantastic..........very funny! It is her home and that is what she liked to call it.......so good on her!

We are are all different and like to do things our own special way........

I don't want my home to feel sterile and cold, having to call things by names that mean nothing to me (as a cruiser who never sailed before cruising), I want my home to feel personal, cosy and nice!

I do of course respect that some sailors are more traditional and prefer to use the correct terms, and when I speak with them I always use the proper language as they do. When talking to other cruisers/sailors etc I actually always listen for what people call things and then I just use that word whilst talking to them so that I make them feel special and there is no confusion during the conversation by changing the word.

It would only make someone feel bad if you were to correct them or point out that the word they like to use is wrong......does it really matter what anything is called? Ok. I agree we should ensure we call the safety equipment etc (things that are very important) by the correct name.

Anyway I am off to relax in my bedroom and have a nice sleep in my comfy bed.........because there really is no place like home!

Have a wonderful day!

Smiles

Nicolle
Spade - is that a shovel or a card or ???

Yes it does and it is not just being snooty!

Many items are safety related in some way so where does one's grey area start and end?

liflines - fence
Stanchion - fence post
jib sheet - roller sail rope
hand held VHF - walkie talkie

Bedroom - so what, but that is about where it ends.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:39   #8

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Funny thread, I will have to agree with Nicolle on this one. It doesn't matter what I call the Galley, Laura will certainly call it the kitchen. I am lucky she is even on board with my (starting to be our) cruising future, I will call parts of the boat anything she wants to, so long as we are actually going.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:49   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Totally agree with the concept of calling bits by whatever makes you happy.

However,

This will only work while the boat is ONLY crewed by you . As soon as you bring in additional crew who are not used to your strange names, confusion can occur, which in the worst case can have safety implications.

This is the reason why some people like to use correct terminology

Another reason is due to having been at sea professionally for many years, and actually having difficulty remembering the land side terminology!
Old 17-02-2009, 04:29   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post

This will only work while the boat is ONLY crewed by you . As soon as you bring in additional crew who are not used to your strange names, confusion can occur, which in the worst case can have safety implications.

!
I meant that too.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 04:30   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno View Post
I am not one of the legalistic fuddy duddies that knows all the right terminology, but it always grates when someone calls it a stern pullpit. It's not a stern pullpit, it is a pushpit. Easy to remember, pull from the front, push from the back.
Can you provide references? When I started sailing in the 70's, everyone that used the term would always laugh and say get the joke, you pull from the front and push from the back, they're both really pulpits.

John

Annapolis Book of Seamanship, page on boat parts shows on the stern: after pulpit.

weblink:
PUSHPIT / ¦ noun a raised safety rail in the stern of a yacht Origin

¦ noun a raised safety rail in the stern of a yacht. Origin1960s: humorous formation, suggested by pulpit.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 05:19   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
DOUBLE-ENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN GO THERE.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 05:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Donald Street in "The Ocean Sailing Yacht" referred to it as the stern pulpit or alternatively the more picturesque British term pushpit. If you really want to get traditional why not taffrail, which I guess more correctly is wood and more ornamental.

I have to go with Nicolle on this one. As long as it is not operational and safety related why get too obsessive over it. I personally enjoy and prefer traditional nautical terms and traditions in general but try not to get too hung up in the practise. When I have non nautical guests on board I try to make it a part of their fun to learn proper nautical terminology without being too much of a martinet (my wife tells me I do not always succeed in this particular goal).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 06:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have front and back verandah rails.
We have you all beat. We have a Breezeway! Much of the boat terminology stems from the various sailing countries of the early years with boats that only exist in museums. Last I checked there isn't a standards organization. We are all faced burden of the language we all speak.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 06:26   #15

what about the addition? top,side,behind? 1or two car garage(dingy)?
dirtydon is offline   Reply With Quote