Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 11:14   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lampe,
What are the German words for Pushpit and Pulpit?
Tschuess,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 12:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marno View Post
I am not one of the legalistic fuddy duddies that knows all the right terminology, but it always grates when someone calls it a stern pullpit. It's not a stern pullpit, it is a pushpit. Easy to remember, pull from the front, push from the back.
Did you mean pulpit?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 18:26   #33

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
I call it a stern rail and ride out of the marina on it. Lets face it different countries different names, sometimes different regions different names. If you can't figure things out where-ever you are, probably shouldn't be on a boat!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 00:39   #34

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
Aaahh. I see now. I wasted my time trying to educate myself as to the names of things on boats. I should have continued to use house names, whatever sounded right to me, or failing that, made something up that sounded right to me and people in the region of the country that I come from......
Thanks
Marno
Old 18-02-2009, 01:58   #35

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Aaahh. I see now. I wasted my time trying to educate myself as to the names of things on boats. I should have continued to use house names, whatever sounded right to me, or failing that, made something up that sounded right to me and people in the region of the country that I come from......
Thanks
Marno
There were several posts that either challenged your assertion that those that use the term stern pulpit was wrong, or gave reasons that pushpit is local terminology, which here you deride. Others tried to inform you that you are spelling it wrong, so maybe that was part of the problem. Not one person agreed with you that stern pulpit was an incorrect term and some provided references showing that it is a proper term. So those that tried to further your education have apparently wasted their time. Again I say provide your references as to why you are correct and everyone else is wrong.

John

Post #11 I gave Annapolis as a reference that uses the term aft pulpit.

Post #13 states that Street says pushpit is a local British term for stern pulpit.

Post #16 Gives pushpit as a British wherryman term.

I checked in Chapmans, it says stern pulpit, sometimes called pushpit.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:05   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
We have a small R&D shop and are often on the edge of some major innovation, if we could just get our hands on the right material, my buddy calls it "Unobtainium".

OK ….its off the subject!

I just wanted to join in!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:24   #37

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Generally I am not fussed but I do insist on Port and Starboard as it refers strictly to the boat. Left and right can mean the direction the person is looking. I also like to have definite names for the strings on a boat-bow and stern ropes and springers, halyards, sheets, painter. It cuts down on tension when docking, and sailing. I also like bow and stern, though point end works pretty well unless it 's a double ender like a proa. Nearly failied my coxwains when I called the bow the pointy end as this is what fisherman in my area called it. Kitchen, bedroom, loo I am quite happy with. I reckon there is less chance of miscommunication when somebody talks about a blocked head or galley slave
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:25   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I used to belong to a yacht club...

...where a few of the members were quite insistent that spaces within the clubhouse should be referred to as if they were spaces aboard a boat rather than inside a building. The kitchen was to be called a galley, the bathrooms were to be called heads, et cetera. These same people tended to be those who were most insistent that club officers wear uniforms to meetings, that members observe naval flag etiquette, and that blazers be worn to parties. After belonging to the club for a year or two, the correlation finally became apparent to me that the folks who were most insistent on proper language, proper dress, and proper ritual were also the least likely members ever to hoist a sail or to muddy an anchor.

Nowhere else in polite society is it not considered bad manners to correct someone's diction. I suggest that it's time this same standard be applied to the yachting community. You want to correct me for calling my stern pulpit a stern pulpit? Shame on you.
Old 18-02-2009, 09:47   #39

Aloah John L
here comes the translation into german pulpit = Bugkorb
pushpit = Heckkorb

For us it is much easier because: Bug= front , Heck= aft(stern)

directly translated to english it means: bowbasket and sternbasket :-)

see, german is in this case easier and this word pull and push keeps me also confused every time but... such is life

take care
Lampe
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 10:39   #40

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
I guess I'll put my 2 cents worth in.... I guess it boils down to what all of the people aboard call things. As a crew you need to use the same termiology..for safety reasons. But, if you all call it the pushpit so be it..but if you all call it the stern pulpit..so be it. Just so everyone is on the same page at all times.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 12:42   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Both terms are acceptable, but pushpit is more specific.

On a boat, a pulpit is a rail. Unless otherwise stated (as in “stern pulpit”), most of us would assume it’s located at the bow.
A pushpit is a specific pulpit, always located at the stern.

Likewise, cars and trucks are both vehicles.

When speaking in the general, both terms should be acceptable. When referring to the after rail, pushpit would be more simply descriptive than pulpit (which should be stern or aft pulpit).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 13:32   #42

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I'm surrounded by stinkpotters. If I say "Pushpit," no one knows what the hell I'm talking about. If I say, "Stern Pulpit," then they hesitate for a second and then say, "ahh." Everything is context.
Old 18-02-2009, 13:33   #43

Quote:
I am not one of the legalistic fuddy duddies that knows all the right terminology, but it always grates when someone calls it a stern pullpit. It's not a stern pullpit, it is a pushpit. Easy to remember, pull from the front, push from the back.
So what happens in the cockpit?
badlattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 13:45   #44

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Hopefully someone is steering the boat!
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 14:23   #45

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
If you relieve yourself off the stern = pisspit

If the seas are rough = pukepit

A few more beers and this could get fun