Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 09:50   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
No motor Entry/Exit Marinas

For a while when I was in Antigua, I sailed with out a motor. I kept my boat, an Ericson 32, in Jolly Harbor. The wind generally blew right down the middle of the aisle where she was kept so I' d sail in close hauled, generally ending a the piling directly across from my berth, where I'd tie her off and swim across with bow line in hand to haul her across.

In Guam, for a very short time I had a nice japanese sail boat, very much like my Ericson, but the motor was bad. She was in the Naval Marina and I needed to get her out. I figure I could sail her out but since the prevailing wind would put her close hauled, and the lee was other peoples boats, I was afraid I might crash into them and never tried. She was enventually extricated using a jet ski.

Now I am in Texas, sailing a West wight potter which gives a lot of lee way. The prevailing wind comes down off a hill onto the marina. I haven't successfully been able to sail into my slip yet with out resorting to either paddle or motor.

How would you solve these problems, by properly sailing into the slip with out damaging neighbors or the vessle under your control.

Diagrams can be found here:
TexasPier | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The red boat is the one I'm trimg to move. The Blue arrow is the wind.

Thanks for any advice
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:12   #2

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: No motor Entry/Exit Marinas

I would just pull alongside that finger pier and walk it around..

curious to see what others say.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:25   #3

Just wanted to add that my first keelboat was an Ericson 32. Great boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: No motor Entry/Exit Marinas

What rig have you.. Gunter, Bermuda, Gaff... they did a variety and that makes a difference to ones approach.. also.. furling jib..?
With the bermuda I furl the jib till I had enough speed for steerage on the approach as the bow crossed the wind drop the main and loose the jib sheet.. this should both brake and assist the turn into the slip... control tiller with knees and furl the jib... grab the line with a nice size bowline on the end as far forward in the cockpit as possible and maintain good control.. plop the loop over the 1st cleat on the finger and take the strain... wind will push you onto the finger and keep you there.. just fender up..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: No motor Entry/Exit Marinas

PS;... don't try it over a F5....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What rig have you.. Gunter, Bermuda, Gaff... they did a variety and that makes a difference to ones approach.. also.. furling jib..?
Every boat had a bermuda rig.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:53   #7

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

T Bodine never cared about hitting someone alongside ;-)...seriously though...I had a Potter 19 and always sailed in and out of the marina. I would try to pull up to the finger pier and drop the sails. Then walk the boat around the corner and put her in stern first. You should be able to sail out and do a controlled gybe and be on your way. What lake you on? I'm up in Dallas at Ray Hubbard.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 12:02   #8

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I'm guessing you are on Dodd Street Docks...Lake Travis???
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 17:35   #9

Boat: Club Sailor; various

How wide is the fairway and what's off the port side of your boat? Do you have enough room to make two 90 degree turns rather than the 45 then 135 shown in your diagram?

I'm going to guess the answer is no, otherwise you would have tried it already.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 18:46   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
ahhh. I like these, lets see. If you can walk her in from the end of the pier that would be by far the safest.

If you can make fast to the opposite bank you could warp her back stern first into her slip with a bit of cursing. alternately anchoring close to the bank, and doing the same.

But the real flashy (but potentialy very messy options) would be to drop your main on stb tack. tack to port just on the corner of the berth and use the backed headsail to turn her quick. then drop it real smartly and head in bow first with a handy spring to stop her...

Alternately full sail. light airs. tack past the berth real close and real slow on port tack. tack to stb keeping the jib backed and back the main by hand. With lots of luck and practice this might neatly reverse you into your pen. if it all goes pear shaped ease the main back across. tack the headsail and sail out to regroup and let the shaking stop!

I guess if you had a line waiting on the corner of the pen you could snatch it with the boathook as you slowly glided past. Use it to stop and then guide the stern in, having dropped sail just before you grabed the stern line.

both of these flashy options I would love to see someone else try, not sure I would be game on anything bigger than a potter!
Old 26-02-2013, 20:40   #11

Walk her to the end of the finger. Throw a line to a passing motorboat. Have a great day.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 05:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
How wide is the fairway and what's off the port side of your boat? Do you have enough room to make two 90 degree turns rather than the 45 then 135 shown in your diagram?

I'm going to guess the answer is no, otherwise you would have tried it already.
I can turn the boat 360 degrees using the motor in the area between the Shore and the Dock. There is probably 40 feet clearance here.

In all these situations I must sail close hauled to get in, meaning not much momentum and a lot of leeway. I just haven't spent enough time dealing with these issues to overcome them. Plus now that I have a working motor I don't have to, but I'd like to somehow achieve the elegance of just sailing in like Captain Ron did in that movie.
Old 23-03-2013, 11:17   #13

Use your motor, please. Capt Ron's antics were in a MOVIE. Hardly real or something a sane person would want to try. At least not without lots of insurance...Again, as a potential dock neighbor, please use you motor...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 13:18   #14

some days motor doesn't work or died in route and I'm sailing alone. Boat is lighter than my neighbors, generally I'm talking about docking on light wind days in the summer.

For those who gave advice thanks.
Old 26-03-2013, 14:15   #15

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

I guess if you had a line waiting on the corner of the pen you could snatch it with the boathook as you slowly glided past. Use it to stop and then guide the stern in, having dropped sail just before you grabbed the stern line.

!
I've done this on a 19' Cape Dory Typhoon in light winds. Can basically backwind jib, drop sail and still have steerage while you collect pre-positioned docking line waiting for you and just walk yourself into slip after turning corner. You can tiller/scull the last few feet if you get stuck without headway. Of course timing so you do not run onto shore in last minute panic is key! If the Potter handles anything like the Typhoon you can park it anywhere you want, once you get used to the hull responses to backwinding sails in various winds. I would try in light winds, and in heavy winds just bring alongside pier and walk her around. Try maneuver in open water on buoy or imaginary spot first a few times before going into slip. I always single handed sailed without motor on and off mooring or slip. I always thought getting out of marina slip and mooring field to be more challenging then coming into mooring or slip.

Tags
marinas, motor