Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 05:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Newbie Yacht Safety

My family is taking a family of pretty much sailing newbies on a sailing vacation for a few days. Keeping safety in mind, I want to make sure they learn the most important things first. I also don't want to overwhelm them, resulting in not learning anything, and not enjoying the trip. What should be on my safety list, in order of priority?

Here is a start...

1) Lifejacket location
2) Fire extinguisher locations
3) VHF emergency use / script
4) Motor start / stop / engage / disengage
5) Battery switch location (in case of electrical fire)
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Newbie Yacht Safety

If your family will be several, experience boaters then maybe best to treat the guests as guests and not involve them in actual emergency operations other than those required for their own safety IE life jackets, fire extinguishers, etc. Leave engine cranking, battery switches and such to the experts.

I would focus on things that might cause injury.

- Boom and gybing/tacking
- keeping body parts away from lines under strain like jib sheets, anchor rodes, etc
- winch safety if they will be involved in sail handling
- not falling off the boat.
- proper way to move about a boat underway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If your family will be several, experience boaters then maybe best to treat the guests as guests and not involve them in actual emergency operations other than those required for their own safety IE life jackets, fire extinguishers, etc. Leave engine cranking, battery switches and such to the experts.

- keeping body parts away from lines under strain like jib sheets, anchor rodes, etc
Thanks for your input. There is definitely an element of judgement involved in deciding which of the crew is capable and interested in learning, and when they just want to relax. My read is that this family wants to learn all they can. We'll see what happens when they are actually doing it.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Thanks for your input. There is definitely an element of judgement involved in deciding which of the crew is capable and interested in learning, and when they just want to relax. My read is that this family wants to learn all they can. We'll see what happens when they are actually doing it.
The interests and abilities of the guests is certainly a major factor. Having made several passages with totally green crew I've had to deal with these questions on several levels.

Depending on the type of trip planned: offshore passage, daysails and dock at night, anchoring, etc I would still start with relevant, appropriate personal safety issues. Example, don't leave the cockpit at night unless tethered in and with someone else on deck. be aware of the forces on a boat and keep fingers, toes and other extremities out of harms way. Etc, etc, etc.

Once those issues have been addressed then I start getting into boat handling and related subjects, again depending on the interests and inclinations of each individual. For most newbie crew, the most fun is learning about sail handling. Then touch on boat handling. I usually leave boat systems until last except when I'm making an offshore passage and the crew will be a working crew.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I would reinforce enjoyment.

People hating the voyage will block out any safety tips. As they do you will turn into Captain Bligh and they will refuse to learn anything but they will keep up a stream of complaints.

I would go easy on safety (without being stupid about it) and concentrate on enjoyment, fun, adventure, fishing, sailing, singing, jokes, beer and cocaine.

The 'orrible bits of boat life can come after they have caught the bug

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
My family is taking a family of pretty much sailing newbies on a sailing vacation for a few days.
I don't know what kind of boats you'll be on (they could be death traps ) or where you'll be sailing, but generally speaking, just focus on them having fun!

It's a vacation, not a training course.

Unless you're taking them somewhere unsuitable for newbies, or plan to have them doing night watches all on their lonesome or leave them on a boat without an experienced crew member (all of which shouldn't happen), they'll be fine.

Give them a tour, point out what's what ("here's the head, works differently then at home. Here's a fire extinguisher in case you set the boat on fire. Next, here's where uncle Bob will be sleeping") but leave it at that. Keep it fun

Life jackets you hand out when they're needed and you simply request them to put them on whenever you put on yours. Again - keep it simple and limited to only what they need to know for the trip and boat they're on.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:31   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I always enjoy Lizzy Belle's good sense. I would only add the importance of keeping them from going overboard. One hand for the ship and one for yourself is good for visitors old or young. And require all males to be seated when using the head. (A moving target and a moving gun makes for random collateral damage.)

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39   #8

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
And require all males to be seated when using the head
Haha, that's a good one. I've had to clean up after stubborn landlubbers too many times ...
Also tell the ladies that *nothing* goes in there that they didn't eat or drink first
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Dont forget head use and etiqutte and most importantly, dont run to the head if you think you are going to vomit...
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I always enjoy Lizzy Belle's good sense. I would only add the importance of keeping them from going overboard. One hand for the ship and one for yourself is good for visitors old or young. And require all males to be seated when using the head. (A moving target and a moving gun makes for random collateral damage.)

S/V B'Shert
Haha.

Good one.

We KISS:

1. one hand for yourself... and:

2. "Please do what I ask you to do when I ask you to do it. If you have any questions, ask them AFTER you finish what I've asked you to do."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:32   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

2. "Please do what I ask you to do when I ask you to do it. If you have any questions, ask them AFTER you finish what I've asked you to do."

I'll add that one to my guest instructions.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:19   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
My family is taking a family of pretty much sailing newbies on a sailing vacation for a few days. Keeping safety in mind, I want to make sure they learn the most important things first. I also don't want to overwhelm them, resulting in not learning anything, and not enjoying the trip. What should be on my safety list, in order of priority?

Here is a start...

1) Lifejacket location/we make each passer responsible for theirs, and suggest where to keep it.

2) Fire extinguisher locations/always good to know, but you are more likely to be the user unless they've been trained.

3) assign a "pointer", whose job is to keep their eyes on and their arm pointed at whoever might have gone overboard. 3.5) Offer them a an opportunity for a m.o.b. drill. Make sure someone knows how to lower the boarding ladder to get the m.o.b. back aboard, or ring the sling, whatever is needed on your boat.

3 ) VHF emergency use / script m.o.b. may not be the greatest time to lose an adult crew member to the VHF.

4) Motor start / stop / engage / disengage

5) Battery switch location (in case of electrical fire)
As to teaching about the sailing, just fold it in while you are sailing...let them know what to expect before you do it. Make sure everybody gets a turn at doing whatever needs.

Keep it light and fun.
Old 08-03-2016, 14:33   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

+1
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:18   #14

Boat: Hunter 386

First aid kit?
And we have a hydration rule, everyone drinks (water ).
And depending where you are, maybe a hypothermia lecture...
Old 08-03-2016, 18:40   #15

Boat: Mirage 35

Specifics related to line handling:
- awareness that they tend to be lying around the cockpit and elsewhere, and if you step on them you'll probably slip,
- winches work clockwise (I seem to have a lot of left-handed friends and family, so I think of this one),
- don't take a line wrap around your wrist when hauling - this is instinctive for a lot of people.

Propane, if you're using it - why and how to ensure it's shut off when not in use.

Tags
safety, yacht