Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-07-2011, 15:39   #1

Boat: Grumman AA-5A Cheetah, But buying a Newport 30' MKIII
New to this

Hi. Am new to this site.

Did small boat sailing in Norfolk in the 90's and actually got a few trophys in the Laser, 420, and 17' day sailers. Fast fwd to now when I'm an OLD 47yo. Am about to make an offer on a Newport 30' in Corpus Christi where it is normally pretty windy (10-15kts avg all year) more or less. Keeping in mind the wind and everything else that you all know, and I havent yet learned...

I'd like to sail this boat singlehanded most of the time. No long Bahama adventures or medium ICW trips, just messing around in CC bay and sooner or later up & down the coast from Mexico to the Houston area. More or less short trips at most for now. (got to continue to work)

As I said its pretty windy here... I have a few sailing buddies and can get help with this boat the first few times but my question is:

Is it resonable for me to expect to be able to handle this boat in & out of the slip, and sail in these conditions alone, after some coaching & learning with others?

Input welcome.
Thanks, Jim

Ps: I'm a pilot & figure that if I can handle my plane I should be able to learn this with time & effort???

Old 22-07-2011, 16:28   #2

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: new to this

Which direction does your slip face? (prevailing winds being SE) Can you customize the slip with extra padding/catch lines/fender boards in case of a rough landing? How wide is the slip and is it single- or double-finger (do you share the bay with another boat and how tight is it)?
Is the boat rigged for single/short-handing? (tiller tamer or wheel brake, main downhaul, lines to cockpit, jib/genoa winches and furler within reach of helm, etc.)

Old 22-07-2011, 16:29   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm22n View Post
Hi. Am new to this site.

Did small boat sailing in Norfolk in the 90's and actually got a few trophys in the Laser, 420, and 17' day sailers. Fast fwd to now when I'm an OLD 47yo. Am about to make an offer on a Newport 30' in Corpus Christi where it is normally pretty windy (10-15kts avg all year) more or less. Keeping in mind the wind and everything else that you all know, and I havent yet learned...
Hi Jim

If you've collected trophies in dinghies you're a better sailor than me and I used to singlehand my 29' yacht all the time. I used to keep it on a swing mooring not in a slip so it wasn't too bad if the wind got up before I got home. My new 42' boat will go into a slip and I expect to singlehand it too at times. It's all about preparation, having lines fenders and everything ready to go before you even approach the slip. Even then, if it's too windy, plan B is to grab any vacant nearby swing mooring while I phone the marina for help taking lines. Plan C will be formulated when plan B doesn't work. Most of the other singlehanding skills are just working out what order to do the tasks and doing them with adequate time to spare. The routines become habit and it does not have to be difficult. For me it was my regular dose of solitude and quite satisfying. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

BTW, Be careful calling 47 old. Some of us have feelings you know.

Greg
Old 22-07-2011, 22:26   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: New to this

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 11:46   #5

Which direction does your slip face? (prevailing winds being SE) Can you customize the slip with extra padding/catch lines/fender boards in case of a rough landing? How wide is the slip and is it single- or double-finger (do you share the bay with another boat and how tight is it)?
Is the boat rigged for single/short-handing? (tiller tamer or wheel brake, main downhaul, lines to cockpit, jib/genoa winches and furler within reach of helm, etc.)

Do not know yet what slip it will be because I have not bought it yet.
Wheel steering and all lines are aft to cockpit.
Roller furling.
Will probably be a wooden dock (vs floating).
Will put rugs & fenders at appropriate places when I get assigned a slip.

Thats all I know for now. I expect to make an offer on the 1st of the month. (thats when I get the funds)

Thanks
Old 23-07-2011, 11:56   #6

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

You can do it! Just prepare ahead, as mentioned above.
Old 23-07-2011, 11:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
If you've collected trophies in dinghies you're a better sailor than me and I used to singlehand my 29' yacht all the time.
I should say TWO trophys. I always more or less knew where the course was, I just followed the other boats! lol

Yes there is positive oputcome with preparation most of the time. I haven't sailed a boat in years & need to get with the racers and learn a lot about boat handling.

Captain Sig {Deadliest Catch} makes it look soooo easy.

I will have help at first but I see from some posts that 30' is an unspoken limit on how much boat to solo regularly. Then again everyone has an opinion.

I want to do this, been a dream for many years. Now I have a few bucks and still have a career/job. Had wanted a CT-41 or Downeast 38 in the past. Saw myself sailing the ICW end-to-end, The Bahamas, and The Caribbean. Maybe one day but for the next decade I will be working. Sorta see this as an appropriate size boat to learn the ropes yet be fun.

Thanks
Old 24-07-2011, 22:44   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi Jim
... It's all about preparation, having lines fenders and everything ready to go before you even approach the slip. ...
Got fenders?

Fender rule #1: shirt/blouse should match the color of the fender.
Old 26-07-2011, 17:04   #9

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Sounds do-able. Will the pilings be flush with the pier or will they stick out? -- that will have some effect on how you want to deploy fenders; if the pilings are "outies" and the slip is wide enough you might consider putting a fender board in front of them. If your bow/cutwater is not too horizontal and you don't share the slip bay with another boat, you might get some good out of placing a rope across near the head of the slip near water level to take some of the steam out of a fast approach -- sort of like a tailhook for a carrier plane. Whether it works depends upon the slip and boat. Maybe a way of releasing an anchor from the cockpit would be nice. A single or double-line reefing system and maybe something like a Dutchman or Stackpack to catch the mainsail and you should be all set for happy sailing.
Old 27-07-2011, 05:29   #10

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm22n

I should say TWO trophys. I always more or less knew where the course was, I just followed the other boats! lol

Yes there is positive oputcome with preparation most of the time. I haven't sailed a boat in years & need to get with the racers and learn a lot about boat handling.

Captain Sig {Deadliest Catch} makes it look soooo easy.

I will have help at first but I see from some posts that 30' is an unspoken limit on how much boat to solo regularly. Then again everyone has an opinion.

I want to do this, been a dream for many years. Now I have a few bucks and still have a career/job. Had wanted a CT-41 or Downeast 38 in the past. Saw myself sailing the ICW end-to-end, The Bahamas, and The Caribbean. Maybe one day but for the next decade I will be working. Sorta see this as an appropriate size boat to learn the ropes yet be fun.

Thanks
Piece of Cake. You can do this easily. Preparation is all you need. I am a 59 year old woman that sails a 26 footer alone. I would have no trouble moving up to a 32.
Old 28-07-2011, 14:34   #11

Boat: Bristol 38.8

The sailing part is easy, it's getting into the slip that is a little tricky, but I assume that 30 footer has an engine, yes? And fenders, yes? If so, just take it slowly and remember that reverse is your friend. If there is no one on the dock to take a line, you will have to hop off to get a spring line cleated before you do anything else.
Old 28-07-2011, 14:46   #12

Trick to docking is go slow and then use reverse to almost stop. Have the boat hook out so you can grab it to get your stern line then use the boat hook for grabbing the spring. At that point you are dead in the water and just tie it up. It becomes a little more challenging with a cross wind but the concept is the same.
Old 29-07-2011, 06:29   #13

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I was told:

"Never come in faster than you're willing to hit."

And I follow that rule....
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 08:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver
I was told:

"Never come in faster than you're willing to hit."

And I follow that rule....
Excellent advice

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: