Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 15:17   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'd like to see the source of your information, please.
Big threat to Japan whaling: Declining appetites

Here's one.

I've got to get to work, but if you struggle to find references, I'll get you plenty later. And there are quite sufficient references about the government backing financially too. Even Japanese people picking up a fuss about money donated for disaster relief being used to prop up the industry.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:22   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
this is why it's helpful to keep the emotions out of a discussion/debate.

What has Charlie Sheen got to do with this whole thread? yet alone his drug connections?
That appears to be confusion between father and son. I am guilty of throwing Charlie into the mix earlier, saying the Sea Shepard TV show needed him to make it a real reality show.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:31   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Pirates? Seriously? well, all I can only say is look at a definition of 'pirate'.
Or - look at their logo
Old 19-10-2014, 15:33   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
As I see it, Japan's response to Sea Shepherd's activities has been to allocate ever more resources to the annual hunt. Sea Shepherd really made very little difference until the 2010-2011 hunt, but even since then the catch numbers have averaged ~200 per year from ~500 before. The ICJ ruling was successful in completely stopping the 2014-2015 hunt, and although Japan is making noise about a 2015-2016 hunt we have yet to see if it will follow through, now that it is in clear violation of international law. I still hold out hope that a non-violent legal solution will hold out. I suppose time will tell.

Sea Shepherd have a very carefully managed media presence which puts out the line that without them, Japan would be catching around 1000 minke whales per year and that therefore they are saving 800 each year. To my mind the data shows that this is something of an exaggeration of the truth. The most effective strategy so far has been to pursue a legal solution, and in spite of the painful fact that there is very little I can do to influence this, it is where I place my hope, rather than with Paul Watson's dubious 'eco warriors'.
Japan blames whaling foes for record-low catch

The Japanese must have it wrong then. there blaming Sea Shepherd, when in fact they should be supporting Sea Shepherd.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:36   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Paul Watson still has an Interpol Red Notice active against him for escaping custody in Germany, forfeiting a $300,000 bond. Germany is also holding his passport.

If he lands in any Interpol country, which includes 190 in the world, he is subject to arrest and extradition.

That makes him a wanted criminal and a fugitive.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:40   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Or - look at their logo
The skull and crossbones looks great for the TV show and the poor stupid kids crewing.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:45   #67

Quote:
emotions aside, Can you now elaborate on 'how' he is a 'terrorists'? Who has he killed, kidnapped, threatened?

What Whalers did 'they' leave at sea? Please reference this statement?

The Japanese whalers never, 'NEVER' had permission to whale. The recent High Court decision has clearly articulated this. Your suggesting that a thief is not a thief until a court calls them a thief!

Paul Watson until recently was not aloud to set foot on land oh, what order prevented him form going ashore? If this was true then how was it he appeared in the US in response to the court action against him and subsequent warrants were revoked?

He's tried killing people can you reference this statement?

To my knowledge no one has ever been harmed (so far) as a result of Sea Shepherds actions.

I don't know where you get your info from, but you are wrong.

Until just recently, the Japanese gov't was allowed to whale for research purposes. That loophole was written into the international treaty on purpose for some reason, even though I agree that it shouldn't have been.

I am against whaling, but I am MORE against acts of eco-terrorism committed for any reason. If you had done even cursory investigation into it, you would see how many nations, and even Greenpeace, has classified the org as eco-terrorists.

Here is a 3 page accounting of their attacks on fishing vessel, if you bother to read it, you'll see it makes numerous references to "piracy" by gov'ts and terrorist tactics.
http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/history.pdf

Quote:
In April 2010 the Japanese Coast Guard obtained an arrest warrant for Watson "...on suspicion of ordering sabotage activities against Japan's whaling fleet", and Interpol has listed him as wanted at the request of Japan.
He has claimed to have sunk many vessels, and their crews were on board. He left those crewmembers to die at sea without rendering aid. Those actions are correctly classified as piracy by many nations, including the US.

Quote:
U.S. Federal Appeals Court has determined that the activities of the anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd Conservation Society amount to “piracy,” in a new opinion explaining its temporary injunction against the group, which bars it from harassing Japanese whaling vessels in the Southern Hemisphere.
“You don’t need a peg leg or an eye patch. When you ram ships; hurl glass containers of acid; drag metal-reinforced ropes in the water to damage propellers and rudders; launch smoke bombs and flares with hooks; and point high-powered lasers at other ships, you are, without a doubt, a pirate, no matter how high-minded you believe your purpose to be,” wrote Chief Judge Alex Kozinski in the unanimous decision by a three-judge panel.
Quote:
Although Japanese whalers have permits to hunt, they have been “hounded on the high seas for years by a group calling itself Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and its eccentric founder, Paul Watson,” the Ninth Circuit ruled.
Quote:
Since federal law has been invoked, it is now covered under the various treaties we have with a multitude of countries. The anti piracy interdiction efforts are headed up by the United States Navy.

It's a great looking boat, too bad it was donated to an eco-terrorist org.

That's not just my opinion, that's the consensus of many governments, most importantly the one I pay taxes to.

Old 19-10-2014, 15:49   #68

Quote:
Japan blames whaling foes for record-low catch

The Japanese must have it wrong then. there blaming Sea Shepherd, when in fact they should be supporting Sea Shepherd.
Japan's quota numbers are irrelevant. They have never managed to catch that many whales in one year. As I said in my last post, before Sea Shepherd started to get in the way they caught around 500 per year. By my reckoning that leaves an average of around 300 whales saved a year since the 2010-2011 hunt, not the sky high 900+ Sea Shepherd claim. 1200 whales saved, total. Not bad work, but considering the first year of the ICJ ruling has saved 500 by the same logic I know which route I favour. And it's not the one which brings the whole environmentalist movement in to disrepute.

The data are all here: Scientific Permit Whaling
Old 19-10-2014, 15:52   #69

Quote:
I don't know where you get your info from, but you are wrong.

Until just recently, the Japanese gov't was allowed to whale for research purposes. That loophole was written into the international treaty on purpose for some reason, even though I agree that it shouldn't have been.

I am against whaling, but I am MORE against acts of eco-terrorism committed for any reason. If you had done even cursory investigation into it, you would see how many nations, and even Greenpeace, has classified the org as eco-terrorists.

Here is a 3 page accounting of their attacks on fishing vessel, if you bother to read it, you'll see it makes numerous references to "piracy" by gov'ts and terrorist tactics.
http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/history.pdf

He has claimed to have sunk many vessels, and their crews were on board. He left those crewmembers to die at sea without rendering aid. Those actions are correctly classified as piracy by many nations, including the US.

After you've read and made yourself more familiar with the topic that we're discussing, you can stop with the emotional replies and we can discuss it further.

It's a great looking boat, too bad it was donated to an eco-terrorist org.

That's not just my opinion, that's the consensus of many governments, most importantly the one I pay taxes to.

Come on kids, lets play nice.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:53   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Paul Watson still has an Interpol Red Notice active against him for escaping custody in Germany, forfeiting a $300,000 bond. Germany is also holding his passport.

If he lands in any Interpol country, which includes 190 in the world, he is subject to arrest and extradition.

That makes him a wanted criminal and a fugitive.
What's your reference for this please

The Red Notice was for actions in Costa Ricca, which I believe was dropped a year ago. Hence Paul Watson has come ashore in the US and Australia a number of times. If it's still current why is he not being arrested?
Old 19-10-2014, 15:54   #71

Quote:
NO he didn't.

'Martin Sheen' donated the boat and that's why it's called, 'Martin Sheen' !

Yup, you're right!

I don't know how I got them mixed up! Charlie Sheen is back off of my left wing libertard list!

I'm glad Charlie spent his money on more worthwhile projects, like hookers and blow!

Old 19-10-2014, 15:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Japan's quota numbers are irrelevant. They have never managed to catch that many whales in one year. As I said in my last post, before Sea Shepherd started to get in the way they caught around 500 per year. By my reckoning that leaves an average of around 300 whales saved a year since the 2010-2011 hunt, not the sky high 900+ Sea Shepherd claim. 1200 whales saved, total. Not bad work, but considering the first year of the ICJ ruling has saved 500 by the same logic I know which route I favour. And it's not the one which brings the whole environmentalist movement in to disrepute.

The data are all here: Scientific Permit Whaling
'Japan's quota numbers are irrelevant'? really. The year Sea Shepherd got involved was the year they announced their quote was to increase to 1000. I would think it fair to credit SS with ensuring that's never happened. But in any case, I'm not sure how you can reject Japan's own claims.

Well, many of us feel it's not bringing the 'whole environmental movement in to disrepute'. But happy to disagree on this point.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:58   #73

Quote:
Yup, you're right!

I don't know how I got them mixed up! Charlie Sheen is back off of my left wing libertard list!

I'm glad Charlie spent his money on more worthwhile projects, like hookers and blow!

Charlies ok. He's keeping hookers employed.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:05   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
What's your reference for this please
I suspect you would agree that if the information comes from Interpol, it is fact?

Here is the Interpol notice. It has not been rescinded.

- INTERPOL

Quote:
The Red Notice was for actions in Costa Ricca, which I believe was dropped a year ago. Hence Paul Watson has come ashore in the US and Australia a number of times. If it's still current why is he not being arrested?
I wonder where he got a passport from?

At any rate, Costa Rica still want him for criminal activity.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:08   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Purty boat. But is she fast enough to keep up with whaling ships?
Closed Thread