Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 20:17   #91

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Japan, Norway and Iceland ALL decided to continue whaling under a provision in the treaty which allows the capture of whales for research purposes. I wish they had not provided that loophole, but they did, and it was NOT illegal.
Well, Socaldmax, according to a High Court decision it WAS illegal and they have been told to stop it.

A loophole in the law is only a 'loophole' if one is acting around the law. It was called a 'loophole' but the High Court decision has confirmed what basically everyone knew to be the case, that their so called research was a farce. So, yes, it was illegal.

Now your probably going to suggest that it 'wasn't illegal' but is now due to the court decision . But that would be your misunderstanding of the court process and it's not how courts work. The court was to decide based on the law as it stood. It found that the actions of the whalers were NOT acting within the Law. yeah.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:20   #92

now back to the boat, has anyone been able to find out anything about the Yacht?
Old 19-10-2014, 20:31   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
One does not have to condone whaling to be disgusted with the illegal and dangerous antics of Watson and his hanger ons at sea. He is in contravention of COLREGS in so many ways.

Watson needs to serve time, except some will view him as a martyr. He would like that. Being viewed as a martyr I mean. Yes he is a criminal, and his actions do mirror terrorist activities.

I still would be interested as to how he got a passport though. Germany seized his Canadian one, and I can't imagine Canada issuing him a replacement. The current government wants nothing to do with him and his ilk.
Well, yes his ships do breach COLREG's. I can't argue with that. but then so do the Whalers and a number of other laws including taking crude marine oil into a reserve and crossing territorial waters at times. Of course, police, navy and Coast guard all do so at times to in order to do their job. And yes, I know Sea Shepherd is not legally tasked with the job of policing the oceans. And there is the dilemma. Australia, in whom protected waters the whaling is occurring refuses to intervene in fear of damaging Australia's economic relations with Japan. And Australia is the only nation that can intervene. So, some of us will argue that it's ok in some situations for vigilante's (some of you call them terrorists) to take the law into the own hands when those tasked with the 'authority' refuse to do so. That's me . No one else is doing what is clearly illegal and immoral and so I support Sea Shepherd and their vegan () friends to police this illegal and immoral activity. Whereas there are others, such as yourself, who believe the slaughter can continue until either the animal is extinct or until a government is determined enough to stop it. But until a government is prepared to act to uphold the law, you don't believe anyone else should. I appreciate that. I do. Completely disagree, but I appreciate where your coming from.

That's where we are at from what I can see.
Old 19-10-2014, 21:39   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, Socaldmax, according to a High Court decision it WAS illegal and they have been told to stop it.

A loophole in the law is only a 'loophole' if one is acting around the law. It was called a 'loophole' but the High Court decision has confirmed what basically everyone knew to be the case, that their so called research was a farce. So, yes, it was illegal.

Now your probably going to suggest that it 'wasn't illegal' but is now due to the court decision . But that would be your misunderstanding of the court process and it's not how courts work. The court was to decide based on the law as it stood. It found that the actions of the whalers were NOT acting within the Law. yeah.
So now you're telling me what I understand and misunderstand?

I'm glad you're psychic, among other things.
Old 19-10-2014, 21:45   #95

Quote:
So now you're telling me what I understand and misunderstand?

I'm glad you're psychic, among other things.
Why do you need to get defensive and accusatory? Are you unable to discuss things rationally without sarcasim or other accusations?

Chill man Have a debate, discussion, forum and stay nice.
Old 20-10-2014, 02:39   #96

Quote:
I still would be interested as to how he got a passport though. Germany seized his Canadian one, and I can't imagine Canada issuing him a replacement. The current government wants nothing to do with him and his ilk.
i found the answer for you, seeing you asked twice. Watson was handed back his US passport after the Germans confiscated it. It was this passport he used to enter the U.S. to appear in court in 2013.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:06   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Regardless, there is no denying that he is a terrorist.
Historically, the difference between a terrorist and a patriot (or a hero of the cause) is victory.

Watson hasn't won anything.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:10   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Historically, the difference between a terrorist and a patriot (or a hero of the cause) is victory.

Watson hasn't won anything.
With your attitude we'd still be under British rule! and you know what that means..; we'd be driving British cars and having to put up with Brit electronics!

Old 20-10-2014, 11:22   #99

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I am playing nice.

I'm just providing sources of information, that's what threads like this are for, discussion and learning.
Sorry, the well when you are better read, sounded like you where calling his view parochial.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:24   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
i found the answer for you, seeing you asked twice. Watson was handed back his US passport after the Germans confiscated it. It was this passport he used to enter the U.S. to appear in court in 2013.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Watson and several other shipmates were also unable to join the Steve Irwin on its promotional tour of Australia until they were able to provide documentation from the governments of the United States, Canada and Norway, exonerating them from previously claimed acts of violence, specifically claims by Sea Shepherd of intentionally sinking a ship in Norway. In January 2013, Paul Watson was presented with an Aboriginal passport by the Krautungalung people of the Gunnai Nation.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:52   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
Now am I the only one who doesn't think that passport would be recognized internationally?

Seems that Rustic Charm's information may have been in error. Perhaps check your sources?? Are they credible, reliable and honest?
Old 20-10-2014, 12:05   #102

Quote:
Now am I the only one who doesn't think that passport would be recognized internationally?

Seems that Rustic Charm's information may have been in error. Perhaps check your sources?? Are they credible, reliable and honest?
I have no idea if that Gunnai Nation passport would be recognized. I've never even heard of them until now.

I did find an article claiming that his US passport had been returned to him, but it was a hero worship puff piece, so who knows.

The article claims he jumped bail in Germany, then it claims he was handed back his passport by German authorities. I'm trying to picture how they would hand you back your passport after they took it if you're on bail, or why they'd hand it back after jumping bail.

Sea Shepherd's Paul Watson comes ashore
Old 20-10-2014, 13:56   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
With your attitude we'd still be under British rule! and you know what that means..; we'd be driving British cars and having to put up with Brit electronics!
Okay, does that mean you think the British won the Revolutionary War?

That's right up there with folks who deny the Holocaust.
Old 20-10-2014, 17:12   #104
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

I'll admit to skipping some of the longer bits in here, but I didn't see anyone mention that Charlie Sheen has his own Sea Shepherd vessel, which is currently impounded in the Faroe Islands. Seems they were playing tag with locals and drew the ire of the Danish navy.

I think his dad's boat is more my style. It looks less warlock infested.

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-10-2014, 00:33   #105

Quote:

Aborigional passports are not even recognised in Australia. The only source I found was from the Sydney Morning Herald of which someone else put the link, claiming he entered in his US passport.

The other stuff about proving his suitability to enter Australia was revoked after a pretty public uproar from many Australians. He was granted a visa.

I'm not sure in Germany, but in Australia police can't with hold a passport without an order of the court. It's possible that Germany returned his passport despite being on bail. That would be the case if it happened in Australia, unless a court orders it to be confiscated.
Closed Thread