Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: At what Age would you as a Parent actively support your Son or Daughter’s Single hand
Age 10… Yes go for the record 2 4.17%
Age 12… Yes go for the record 0 0%
Age 14… Yes go for the record 1 2.08%
Age 16… Yes go for the record 8 16.67%
Age 18 20 41.67%
Age 21 or older when they have finished school and developed social skills 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The current mania in sending kids off to do solo's is just crasy, There will be a death yet. it should stop or be stopped
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Those that do not have a child have never felt the type of love and sense of protection they have for their child and probably are more likely to be okay with letting a teenager sail around the world alone. I'm not saying this is true in all cases, just more likely in most cases.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
regardless of age...

...I would be disappointed in a child who had grown up so self-indulgent that they'd see the performance of one of these stunts as a worthy endeavor. I should counsel any son or daughter--my own children or the child of someone else--that they should first seek to contribute to society. Once they've succeeded in making the world a better place, then, and only then, is it time to circumnavigate.

One of my students spent the summer volunteering in a medical clinic in El Salvador. She dropped by during office hours yesterday to ask for my recommendation for med school. She wants to become an obstetrician, and spend part of every year in Central America helping out in free clinics.

These are the kids our society ought to celebrate. Not the ones in pink boats trying to get their names into record books.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't believe you can put a number on it. I think it's case by case, and I haven't a clue how young that would be. The parent that would send a child out to their death for their own glory. I believe they exist, but that person is rare.

I have a son I would not send, and he's 36. I have a nephew at 8 that loves sailing, and even in snot, but I wouldn't send him either. I don't know enough about the record holder Mike, but obviously he was capable, and Zac at 17 had 17 years experience.

Zac's sister at 16 has 16 years experience, but sailing below the capes is a whole other story. The line needs to be drawn in the sand, so it can be adjusted case by case........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If it wasn't for the parental ego gratification, I don't think it would happening at all. Its some parents way of having the equivalent of a child with an Olympic gold medal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:34   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If it wasn't for the parental ego gratification, I don't think it would happening at all. Its some parents way of having the equivalent of a child with an Olympic gold medal.
I would have to agree with this most of the time. There are some kids out there that are just plain motivated without the push from the parents. These are the ones that get my BEST WISHES.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:39   #22

Boat: Kadey Krogen Manatee 36'
Age Limits?

This could be a loaded question. 18 years just to make it legal. If legality was not in the mix then younger would work. Can't wait to see the tally!
Voyager510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15   #23

Boat: Cascade
I think that in your teen years, you still think your immortal, and don't necessarily have the judgment skill necessary for the decisions.

If my children continue to follow this as a sport and, within the confines of an organized race, I would support it by the age of 18. (waiting for the mental and the physical strength)

I would never support it as a stunt. And If they planned to sail away for a couple years. they would need to finish university first!!!
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 14:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I know that this statement is contrary to popular belief but
1. At 14 I could have gone.
2. I would have let my son or daughter go at that age- if they had been as bull-headed and independent as I was at 14.
I had already lived on my own for sometime by then.
In fact, all my parents could do after 13 was to advise me and love me for what I was. And I think I turned out OK.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 18:38   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
21+

Because I do not think it makes a lot of difference to the world at what age my kid sails around it, single handed or not.

I did it at 33+, and with a mate. Probably a bit to late (for sailing, not for mating).

;-)
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 18:46   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I did it at 33+, and with a mate. Probably a bit to late (for sailing, not for mating).

;-)
barnie
I would never do a non-stop circumnaviagtion with a mate..... the boat couldn't hold all that beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 19:16   #27

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
After all that was posted about AIS it appears she has no transponder!!

bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:38   #28

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
The outcome would be a personal thing between teen and parents, then and only then would it be a good thing. I would think the parents support and knowledge of their young adult is the only grounds of which it would make it work. We can not really make a general view on this as each situation would be unique in its own.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:04   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
So how much of all of this should be attributed to media hype and a chance for greatness?

I remember in Auckland 2000 during the Americas Cup, meeting with Ellen Mac Arthur and her parents when she was being sponsored by Kingfisher for her first solo record.

Lots of Super yachts and billionaires / world media coverage and a slick advertising campaign that had her wired for sound as she climbed up to the masthead while giving a commentary to the large affluent crowd of all the “named” products and sponsors.

I was standing beside her parents (very simple down to earth people) chatting with them about what a circus this was becoming and I had that unmistakable feeling, they agreed that their darling daughter was caught up in something bigger than herself.

Later after the media show and the crowd had left, Ellen had that glazed look when her parents introduced me and I laughed and said:.. “you just gotta keep pinching yourself”

No question that Ellen was capable and decisive, but I worry about the younger trend, where less grounded sailors are pulled along and feel obligated to not disappoint.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Age 21 or older when they have finished school and developed social skills
I am not sure why you would need social skills to sail round the world - alone!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll