Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-03-2016, 17:50   #31

Boat: Moody 33
Re: New

Cold stormy weather is far more exciting then med sun! I would much rather go skiing then go to the south of France sunbathing. there is nothing as pleasurable or exciting as skiing a black run on a snowy, freezing morning when everyone is still in bed. I recall everyone telling me how difficult and dangerous skiing is when I bonked my first skiing holiday and now nine years on from my first ski holiday I am still learning but it was not as difficult as everyone told me

My most memorable holiday was in Iceland, snowmobiling up a glacier, camping overnight in -30c, we got caught in a gale yet I hope to do it again one day, never been as cold. Took huskies into the Finlands arctic. raced a a snowmobile on a frozen river.

Bringing the boat back to the UK is to gain experience, told it is around 14 days at sea without touching land. I proposed delaying the trip till May to my friend as suggested on here

Old 16-03-2016, 18:05   #32

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Julie View Post
Cold stormy weather is far more exciting then med sun! I would much rather go skiing then go to the south of France sunbathing. there is nothing as pleasurable or exciting as skiing a black run on a snowy, freezing morning when everyone is still in bed. I recall everyone telling me how difficult and dangerous skiing is when I bonked (sic ) my first skiing holiday and now nine years on from my first ski holiday I am still learning but it was not as difficult as everyone told me
And your experience of cold stormy weather in a small boat? Just wundring.....

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 19:06   #33
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Julie View Post
Bringing the boat back to the UK is to gain experience, told it is around 14 days at sea without touching land. I proposed delaying the trip till May to my friend as suggested on here
Nice one Julie.. hope he agrees to it.. it will teach you a lot about yourself.. and that's where the important bit of the learning curve is.
Get some books on cloud formation/interpretation.. it'll serve you better than weather forecasts more often than not and learn to read the waters.. the sea will give you around 24hrs notice of anything big headed your way and clues as to which way to run to minimise yours risks..
What a lot of folks on here forget..' bein Suthern folk' is that our South Coast and easy sailing is around 50*N... and you live around 52*N.. so its not as big a deal as they seem to think..
Sure theres bad weather.. but we do not get hurricanes in the summer and like anywhere.. only idiots (and delivery skippers) sail the wrong time of year.. note the knockers are all big husky hairy arsed sailors..
There's a guy sailed up to Iceland and Greenland into the Artic Circle in a 21ft Junk rigged Corribee called Ming Ming.. look the name up on YouTube.. he's recently moved up in size.. getting older I guess.. to an Achilles 24.
Keep us posted.. I for one will be interested in your evolution.. and always remember.. we all only live from one breath to the next.. so Fill your Boots while you can

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:22   #34

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
ROTFLMAO!!

I just went out to SailboatData and looked her up. What a sweet looking boat.
OT but how do you do that?
Old 18-03-2016, 10:33   #35

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
OT but how do you do that?
1. visit SailBoatData.com. 2. enter make & model of boat. 3. press enter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: