Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2016, 16:46   #16

Re: New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Wow, you guys are a LOT friendlier to a women with these plans then to a guy!

I was going to post something with "SA" in there. But I'll refrain and bookmark this topic for when a man posts something like this
Are you complaining about the special treatment you ladies get?

We could always take off the gloves and start tickling you! How's that for fighting dirty? LOL

Old 14-03-2016, 17:15   #17

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Please substitute women for men, and know how wonderfully, spectacularly dangerous you are. In a very good way!

Yes, there is much to learn; and certainly some suffering along the way. It's worthy, all of it.

And if that's too melodramatic, try Walt Disneys' version: If you can dream it, you can do it!

Do it.

--

Old 14-03-2016, 17:22   #18

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Are you complaining about the special treatment you ladies get?
Nope, I just think the difference is kind of hilarious
Old 14-03-2016, 18:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Fishing not obligatory and you sound too ambitious. Make sure your boat has the right papers as many boats sold at auction in Spain do not have any (or not in order at best). Make sure the boat is sound and ready to go - many boats that spend long time in Spain (waiting for the auction) are not.

Stay where the boat is and learn. Make very small trips, then longer trips. See if you can bring along a more experienced sailing friend.

Go when you are ready. You are ready when you know that you do not have to ask this question at an Internet forum.

Fair winds,
b.
Old 14-03-2016, 19:46   #20

Boat: Moody 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Ya know, you want to believe the best about anyone, but lately the sailing forums have been besieged with posts like this one. I have no experience. I want to go sail the oceans right away.

I'm just not prepared to believe any of this.

You have a friend that is going to sail the boat and teach you. And the friend doesn't know if the boat is capable? Really? Is the friend capable? Why haven't you asked your friend whether fishing is compulsory (which, by the way, it is)?

If I thought there was a tiny chance that the OP is legitimate, I would have to say what is proposed is a bad idea. As has already been mentioned, there are some hardy, capable, independent souls out there that could do it, but I doubt any of them began their journey with a post like this one, that I will venture to say has a slightly goofy quality to it.

But, like I said, I'm not believing it.
That is OK, who cares? Over the years people have thrown up their arms and told me you can't possibly do that, the people who do that are usually the ones who aren't very good at the activity in question.

I often wondered how difficult sailing is, I talked about my dreams not really considering doing it. One day I was at a marina in a restaurant in the south of the UK and there was 100s of yachts there, I watched boats arriving and leaving, then we drove to the hotel we were staying in and there was another marina, a bit smaller but still it was full of boats and I wondered how many marinas are around the world full of yachts. Now if it is that difficult to sail and it takes 50 years to gain the experience before you can even contemplate taking the boat out of the marina then who sails all these boats, how did people ever get the skills to do so?

Then I came across channels on you tube like this one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJ...eugSvlA/videos and and if they can do it why can't I?

Buying the boat was an impulse thing, I was egged on by a friend to leave a bid and did not really think I would buy it.

I did ask what the Moody 33 is capable off but is there any harm in asking others?

I have never sailed, so not really sure what I am capable off, so maybe that is why my post is goofy and the fishing question was meant to be humorous! It wasn't really an issue untill the phone call that the boat was ready a couple weeks ago.

Am I disciplined, determined, organized, logical, calm under pressure, well I work in sales and got a degree in computers,

"mechanically inclined, good with tools, or at least willing to follow the directions in a book or manual? Can You sew well, splice a line, bleed a diesel fuel line and track down an electrical problem"

Can I splice a line, not yet, can I bleed a fuel line, not sure, seen in done many times though, can I track down electrical faults, not yet, I can track down computer faults so guessing i could adapt.

Budget, I plan to rent out my apartment which will give me £700pm, I guess I can get work for periods of time over winter for example.

PS: If I do not quit work I will have only two weeks per year and the very odd weekend available to sail.

Thanks to these that gave me positive advice and I can still dream of sailing to Iceland even though I might not make it this year.

Good night everyone should have been in bed ages ago as I need to be up 6am
Old 15-03-2016, 03:15   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lost Julie,

Well, it is not that you are lost, but there's more to it than just doing it. You need to learn about boat handling. It is not too difficult to get okay at it; a lifetime, to be superb. You will, because there are ships and yachts EVERYF___K__GWHERE, need to learn about collision avoidance. [Colregs -- search on it].

Then, as others have suggested, you need to begin to understand weather pattern for the areas where you sail, because this is the core of keeping yourself safe. Also, there are weather routing services which will do it for you, if you feel comfortable letting them be responsible for that. Amongst sailors, the old curmudgeons like me, think you need to know that, but in fact, many people use weather routers.

I suggest you will want to consider your options relative to communications. This is because, when the Satphone service fails (because of electronic failure, water intrusion, or ???) some of the old fashioned ways still do work, when you are outside internet range, and cell phone range. There is marine single sideband; and also ham radio, if you are of that inclination.

The waters for which you want to head are cold. Will you carry a survival suit? Water is not humans natural environment. Your Moody will keep you relatively dry, but what you are suggesting doing is not like, ride the ferry to Norway and hire a car.

Have you ever looked at a navigational chart?

Sill is needed to interpret them. You're talking about a very steep learning curve, so many things to learn about, so little time. Not saying you cannot do it, but would suggest assistance from friends more experienced than you to help put the dream to practice.

Ann

PS, I have over 150,000 n. mi. as crew. I do not think I am Captain material.
Old 15-03-2016, 04:09   #22

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Get a competent skipper to help you get her back to the UK and then 'softly softly catchee monkey'..... you will know when you are ready to head out into the great unknown but I doubt it will be May.....

Not sure how long it took me. It took either 10 , 20, or 30 years depending on what you take as a start point but then I am a pretty slow learner....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 05:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Nice to see another Mancunian on the forum, hope you have not been disheartened by some of the responses here.

Plenty of places around here to start to learn, no need to head off to the South coast.
If the boat is going to be in North Wales, I could suggest an RYA practical course out of Caernafon or Port Dinorwic, schools there have a good reputation.

If you want to take a separate theory course, then there are places in Cheshire where this can be done.

As others have suggested, I would not as a novice head over to Norway this year.
Use this year to learn about sailing and about your boat, and get as much time out on the water as you can. Don't quit the job yet, use this year to save money for the real cruise. You will find boats to be expensive to maintain and moor.

Plenty of good cruising grounds locally. Anglesey is great place, and you'll soon learn to appreciate tidal streams (or curse them), a passage through the Swellies can be a real eye opener.
Isle of Man is another nice place to head to, and it's a short skip from there to Ireland, Strangford Lough is a stunning place, or head up to Belfast.

If you want to head up to Iceland in the future, it's an easy trip if you pick the right season. From Stornoway it's only 36 hrs ish to the Faroes, and then same again onto Iceland.
Bear in mind you'll be sailing up the West Coast of Scotland, and you could find yourself spending weeks there as it is such good sailing grounds.
Last year I fully intended to sail to Iceland, and departing Liverpool in March. I thought I had plenty of time. By August, I had only made it as far as the Faroes, and then had to turn back as work was calling.

Norway would be on my list as well, I've never been on a sail boat there, but I have worked on boats all around the Norwegian coast, and it is a stunning place. I imagine you could spend many months, even years there and not get bored (but it is expensive).

Finances will be important. You mentioned that you could get £700 PM rental income, that is most likely not enough to keep a boat going around this part of the world.
Holyhead marina will cost close to £300 per month if you had a year contract with them.
In Norway, marina fees are comparatively cheap compared to the UK, but everything else is not. There might be tax issues if the boat is there longer than 12 months, something else to investigate.

Anyway, wish you best of luck in your new venture.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 05:20   #24
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Julie View Post
Before I start just want to warn everyone I will ask a lot of dumb questions and I am not sure which section I should put them in so here goes.

This section is fine.. Fire away..

I have no experience of sailing but in my fantasies I sail across the globe on my own boat. While in Spain last year we went to a boat auction and I left a bid on a boat that has not been sailed for seven year and not used for three. I was surprised to have won the bid and the boat yard in Spain has fixed her up at a cost of €21,000, including new electronics, rebuilt engine, new fuel tanks, new wind generator, sails.

Congratulations on picking a good first boat for your dreams.. many fall down on this so your one step ahead straight away..

A friend has offered to teach me to sail by bringing the boat to North Wales from Spain end of April, I intend to quit my job and go off sailing in May. Most people go off to the med, I want to go to Norway and Iceland, am I being over ambitious?

I'd suggest you get your friend to wait till you have quit your job.. its only a month and the weather will be kinder for the trek up the Portuguese coast and across the Biscay.. don't want to batter all that fixing up so quickly..
Also.. there'll be the bonus of a 1000nm+ coastal and open water sailing to get you started before you reach the UK.

How do I know what my boat is capable off?

By following the above advice..

Can I also ask what sort of budget do I need.

As high or as low as you choose.. essentials are fuel, food and marina's at the start.. do you like Champagne & Caviar or.. Fish or Pie and Chips in paper.. wear and tear is a variable.. look after your boat well.. hose down the topsides after 'wet trip' (not needed in Wales).. learn basic engine maintenance and any other semi-skilled boat related things like ropework (splicing) sewing etc.

I have watched many You Tube videos and wonder if fishing is compulsory.

Thankfully no.. but a nice touch of humour to prod the Guys..
Thanks if anyone answers.
Here's wishing you every success in your ambitions..
just take small steps to start.. you've the rest off your life so why rush.. its what Cruising is supposed to be all about.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 05:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

. . . . . .

Stay where the boat is and learn. Make very small trips, then longer trips. See if you can bring along a more experienced sailing friend.

Go when you are ready. You are ready when you know that you do not have to ask this question at an Internet forum.

Fair winds,
b.
Best place to learn is where the boat is, I agree. There's places in Spain and Portugal you can do RYA Courses at, and Spring and Autumn are perhaps the best time to do them.

There are cheap flights from the UK to Faro and Malaga and back . . .

Also if you have not done any sailing, guard against being seasick. I have only been seasick the once (force 10+ Bay of Biscay), and don't recommend it. So as 'insurance' I always take a half a 15mg Stugeron tablet, 30 minutes before going aboard. Some people need to take one tablet a day before going aboard, and another each day for about 5 days, until they have their sea legs. But a half a Stugeron a day for 5 days works for me.

It's a cheap way of ensuring you have a good time, without being made sleepy by taking 2 Stugeron.

If you do get seasick. 1 Stugeron dissolved under the tongue, will probably work within 15 minutes. If it's really bad, '2' tablets dissolved under the tongue will probably do it (I have sorted people out that were grass green around the gills with 2 Stugeron - but you will be very sleepy after 2).

Fair winds and nice seas.

PS It helps if you like fresh caught fish (people that don't like fish often really like fresh caught fish), then fishing can be a big help with the food budget.
Old 15-03-2016, 14:54   #26

You may have already found her youtube videos but if not have a look at White Spot Pirates for some encouragement.

A young German woman called Nike bought a near-wreck of an old aluminium boat in Panama, named it Karl and fixed it up over a season or so.

She did almost all the work herself and is currently sailing, sometimes singlehanded.

She did have some prior sailing experience but not as much as some people might think essential.
Old 15-03-2016, 18:54   #27

Boat: Moody 33

Many thanks for all your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
You may have already found her youtube videos but if not have a look at White Spot Pirates for some encouragement.

A young German woman called Nike bought a near-wreck of an old aluminium boat in Panama, named it Karl and fixed it up over a season or so.

She did almost all the work herself and is currently sailing, sometimes singlehanded.

She did have some prior sailing experience but not as much as some people might think essential.
Thanks, yes I came across her videos recently, although they are a bit short.

Can I ask another newbie question. I often sea boats for sale were the owner has been to Greece and so on but is trading the boat so they can do more deep sea or blue water sailing. What would a craft that can sail from UK to Greece not have that is required for longer, deeper passages?
Old 15-03-2016, 19:45   #28

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

Usually the boat is capable. It's the crew who are often the problem. I was sailing towards Great Briton from Nova Scotia last August. I ran into an awful storm off the bottom of Newfoundland.

While I was rummaging around for gloves and ugg boots because of the cold, I took check of myself, and asked. 'What on earth are you doing?' Far nicer places to cruise than this. With that I eased sheets and set a course for the Azores. Sunshine warmth and pleasure.

I have been cruising, around the world off and on for more than forty years, even in The Great Southern Ocean. Would you believe I'm still learning.

My suggestion to you is get a few years experience in pleasant places to build your confidence and expertise, then if those extreme latitudes still call; then pursue your dream. The sea has no mercy. Especially for a novice.

James
Old 15-03-2016, 21:35   #29

I think that you'll have no problem learning to sail, navigate, fix your boat, learn to live on a boat, etc. The only flaws I saw in your plans was how quickly you wanted to take off, and your destination.

The North Sea can be a very rough place to be in a ship, much less in a boat. Most of the videos you see on youtube show people sailing the tropics, for good reason. It's much more hospitable and much smoother sailing, most of the time. Sure, you could learn to handle the North Sea, but I wouldn't attempt it without a lot of experience. Personally, I've never considered sailing that area because I consider it to be cold and dangerous most of the time.
Old 15-03-2016, 21:58   #30

If you are quitting the job and going sailing why bring the boat to Wales instead of staring from Spain and going in a warmer direction ? I hate the cold, especially at sea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: