Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 18:25   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Posts: 71
Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

This is a bit of cool video. It's tough to get stuff that's very remarkable without being in waves that are at least breaking the line of sight to the horizon. Even though the boats been out on some great sailing recently nothing compelling for video until this trip.

Waves here are probably 4 to 8 feet. It's blowing mostly about 30 I would guess with the range 20 - 35.

The boats dragging a bit without enough sail most of the time. But being alone with my back hurting and a gale forecast I opted for starting out with the jib only and eventually put up the main to make ground to windward and get into Rosario Strait.

As long as the speed is staying up over 5 knots I'm happy enough when it's blowin. At that point I'm more concerned with breaking things and having an epic. That'll get me there before dark and if some crazy wind comes up I just have to roll up the jib and ride out the puff.

But it depends on the nature of the blow. If I can be pretty sure it won't exceed 35 I'll push things harder, but this time of year and especially this year it's just hard to know what to expect and I'm opting for caution.

Ideally I would have used the trysail. The boat would certainly handle the waves better going faster but there would be more average heel and I was worried about the poo hitting the fan and having to go on deck to get the sail down. It doesn't take much sail on my boat and the trysail can look pretty large some times.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...944/fa571676e5
__________________

__________________
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 19:18   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Love your Mom's comment.
__________________

__________________
http://www.lerapideescargot.com
Antilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 22:34   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

It's hard to tell from the Vid, but how close to the water did your spreaders get?
Interesting sailing BTW. Been across that stretch many a time. It looked like you had enough sail out for the conditions. Looked cold.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 23:40   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,975
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Nice video, thanks for posting. Does look nice and cool out there. With that east wind I dare say that the waves would have been steeper and taller at the same frequency if the tide was flooding. I bet you had Spencer spit all to yourself:-).
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:59   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Posts: 71
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It's hard to tell from the Vid, but how close to the water did your spreaders get?
Interesting sailing BTW. Been across that stretch many a time. It looked like you had enough sail out for the conditions. Looked cold.
The boat didn't roll much more than 45 degrees so the spreaders never got close to the water. Rolling like that gets pretty routine around here after a while. If it wasn't for using auto one could drive around those big sets and the ride would be better, but I sort of like the fun of going right through them even if it's bad style.

It certainly would have been rougher had the current been going the other way but then I also would have been able to foot off and not go beam on to the seas.

An Easterly gale of the sort that have been happening out there recently seems unusual to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to Port Angeles but that's not much of a destination compared to the islands. Normally when gales come from the S or SE Port Angeles will be dead calm but not with these Easterlies... strange but interesting stuff.

Yeah my moms comment is funny. Hard to believe after all these years of doing this sort of thing I would still have to explain that it's far more dangerous just to drive up to the boat than to sail in a gale in this area.
__________________
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:18   #6
Registered User
 
captmikem's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Boat: KP 46
Posts: 317
Images: 2
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Yes, the reason you are rolling so much is not enough sail to stabilize the boat, especially when you drop off to a broad reach. Much nicer ride with a bit of main up.
Coming across the Atlantic once, when we had an average wind speed of about 24 kts, friends in another boat near us were complaining about the roll, gunnel to gunnel, we had a 130 on the pole and a reef in the main and were quite happy. We spoke on the radio about it and the next day he came on and said they had gotten the main up and were much happier! Much easier on the boat and crew.

But it looks like a nice day for a sail!

Michael
__________________
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:49   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,172
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

What boat?

TrentePieds
__________________
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 10:14   #8
Registered User
 
jackheape's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Columbia, SC
Boat: Hunter 34
Posts: 48
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Nice vid. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 10:26   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: Horstmar 38 Trimaran
Posts: 31
Images: 7
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Great use of currents. As you know we can add 3-4 knotts setting out at the right time hear in the San Juan Islands and avoid the current vs wind waves. Thanks for posting.
__________________
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 10:33   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, New York
Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Posts: 386
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Nice video and thanks for posting it. What type of boat is it? It has a very interesting companion way.


I fully understand about mom's comment. When I was in the Army, I eventually was a company commander, yet she told me to be careful when deployed! Thanks again for the video.
__________________
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 10:48   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
northwestsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kenai, AK
Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Posts: 277
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Nice reminder of my times through Rosario. Having a ferry come through Thatcher Pass can add to the excitement. I agree having the main up would be the better choice although I have done the same as you many times and gotten away with it. One time from Anacortes to Bellingham with our Jaeanneau, it did not and caused a broach during a ferocious gust. All good fun in the Salish sea
__________________
Victor Raymond
S/V Rajah Laut
1988 Meta Dalu 47

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 11:19   #12
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,593
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
This is a bit of cool video. It's tough to get stuff that's very remarkable without being in waves that are at least breaking the line of sight to the horizon. Even though the boats been out on some great sailing recently nothing compelling for video until this trip.

Waves here are probably 4 to 8 feet. It's blowing mostly about 30 I would guess with the range 20 - 35.

The boats dragging a bit without enough sail most of the time. But being alone with my back hurting and a gale forecast I opted for starting out with the jib only and eventually put up the main to make ground to windward and get into Rosario Strait.

As long as the speed is staying up over 5 knots I'm happy enough when it's blowin. At that point I'm more concerned with breaking things and having an epic. That'll get me there before dark and if some crazy wind comes up I just have to roll up the jib and ride out the puff.

But it depends on the nature of the blow. If I can be pretty sure it won't exceed 35 I'll push things harder, but this time of year and especially this year it's just hard to know what to expect and I'm opting for caution.

Ideally I would have used the trysail. The boat would certainly handle the waves better going faster but there would be more average heel and I was worried about the poo hitting the fan and having to go on deck to get the sail down. It doesn't take much sail on my boat and the trysail can look pretty large some times.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...944/fa571676e5
korrigan: Nice video. I agree completely with your decision of proceed under head sail only. When blowing 30+, my strategy is to carry sail appropriate for the gusts and accept being under powered the rest of the time.

Like you, I feel that 5 knots is plenty of speed. Certainly, the motion of the boat and the flying water is enough to keep us from getting bored.

Here is a video that I made one month ago in similar conditions just South of where you were sailing. I did not have a destination so this was just a day-sail, reaching (close, beam and broad) back and forth across Admiralty Inlet. Head sail of about 75 square feet. 15,000 lb. boat.

Nice and safe but I am sure that if my mom were still alive, She would have made a comment similar to yours.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 12:17   #13
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,403
Images: 1
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Nice job both of you!! Making good time & not breaking you or the boat.
I'd love to find that "majic" boat that doesn't roll when it's snotty

Tks for vids- Merry Christmas

Cheers/ Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 12:31   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 754
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

enjoyed your video. thanks for sharing.
__________________
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:09   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada
Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Posts: 461
Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
The boat didn't roll much more than 45 degrees so the spreaders never got close to the water. Rolling like that gets pretty routine around here after a while. If it wasn't for using auto one could drive around those big sets and the ride would be better, but I sort of like the fun of going right through them even if it's bad style.

It certainly would have been rougher had the current been going the other way but then I also would have been able to foot off and not go beam on to the seas.

An Easterly gale of the sort that have been happening out there recently seems unusual to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to Port Angeles but that's not much of a destination compared to the islands. Normally when gales come from the S or SE Port Angeles will be dead calm but not with these Easterlies... strange but interesting stuff.

Yeah my moms comment is funny. Hard to believe after all these years of doing this sort of thing I would still have to explain that it's far more dangerous just to drive up to the boat than to sail in a gale in this area.
Exciting sailing korrigan, did I not see the trailing edge of your mains'l near the end of that vid, and what is that 4:1 on the starb'd side attached to? ... is it a Running backstay? I'm guessing you might have a cutter rig ... No???
__________________

__________________
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Challenge: Strait of Juan de Fuca at 0300 s/v Beth Challenges 52 27-04-2013 21:14
Sail from Strait of Juan de Fuca to San Diego classicbrew Pacific & South China Sea 26 12-07-2012 09:57
Juan de Fuca Advice Captain Mack Navigation 2 11-07-2012 10:32
Strait of Juan de Fuca - Please Help :) HistoryWriter Our Community 17 17-12-2011 15:58
Wanted For Free: Looking For a Chart of Juan De Fuca . . . SabreKai Classifieds Archive 0 06-09-2010 16:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.