Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 17:25   #1

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

This is a bit of cool video. It's tough to get stuff that's very remarkable without being in waves that are at least breaking the line of sight to the horizon. Even though the boats been out on some great sailing recently nothing compelling for video until this trip.

Waves here are probably 4 to 8 feet. It's blowing mostly about 30 I would guess with the range 20 - 35.

The boats dragging a bit without enough sail most of the time. But being alone with my back hurting and a gale forecast I opted for starting out with the jib only and eventually put up the main to make ground to windward and get into Rosario Strait.

As long as the speed is staying up over 5 knots I'm happy enough when it's blowin. At that point I'm more concerned with breaking things and having an epic. That'll get me there before dark and if some crazy wind comes up I just have to roll up the jib and ride out the puff.

But it depends on the nature of the blow. If I can be pretty sure it won't exceed 35 I'll push things harder, but this time of year and especially this year it's just hard to know what to expect and I'm opting for caution.

Ideally I would have used the trysail. The boat would certainly handle the waves better going faster but there would be more average heel and I was worried about the poo hitting the fan and having to go on deck to get the sail down. It doesn't take much sail on my boat and the trysail can look pretty large some times.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...944/fa571676e5
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 18:18   #2

Re: Near Gale, Straits of Juan De Fuca, December 17

Love your Mom's comment.
Antilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 21:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

It's hard to tell from the Vid, but how close to the water did your spreaders get?
Interesting sailing BTW. Been across that stretch many a time. It looked like you had enough sail out for the conditions. Looked cold.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 22:40   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Nice video, thanks for posting. Does look nice and cool out there. With that east wind I dare say that the waves would have been steeper and taller at the same frequency if the tide was flooding. I bet you had Spencer spit all to yourself:-).
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 07:59   #5

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It's hard to tell from the Vid, but how close to the water did your spreaders get?
Interesting sailing BTW. Been across that stretch many a time. It looked like you had enough sail out for the conditions. Looked cold.
The boat didn't roll much more than 45 degrees so the spreaders never got close to the water. Rolling like that gets pretty routine around here after a while. If it wasn't for using auto one could drive around those big sets and the ride would be better, but I sort of like the fun of going right through them even if it's bad style.

It certainly would have been rougher had the current been going the other way but then I also would have been able to foot off and not go beam on to the seas.

An Easterly gale of the sort that have been happening out there recently seems unusual to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to Port Angeles but that's not much of a destination compared to the islands. Normally when gales come from the S or SE Port Angeles will be dead calm but not with these Easterlies... strange but interesting stuff.

Yeah my moms comment is funny. Hard to believe after all these years of doing this sort of thing I would still have to explain that it's far more dangerous just to drive up to the boat than to sail in a gale in this area.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:18   #6

Boat: KP 46

Yes, the reason you are rolling so much is not enough sail to stabilize the boat, especially when you drop off to a broad reach. Much nicer ride with a bit of main up.
Coming across the Atlantic once, when we had an average wind speed of about 24 kts, friends in another boat near us were complaining about the roll, gunnel to gunnel, we had a 130 on the pole and a reef in the main and were quite happy. We spoke on the radio about it and the next day he came on and said they had gotten the main up and were much happier! Much easier on the boat and crew.

But it looks like a nice day for a sail!

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:49   #7

What boat?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:14   #8

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Nice vid. Thanks for sharing.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:26   #9

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

Great use of currents. As you know we can add 3-4 knotts setting out at the right time hear in the San Juan Islands and avoid the current vs wind waves. Thanks for posting.
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:33   #10

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Nice video and thanks for posting it. What type of boat is it? It has a very interesting companion way.

I fully understand about mom's comment. When I was in the Army, I eventually was a company commander, yet she told me to be careful when deployed! Thanks again for the video.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:48   #11

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Nice reminder of my times through Rosario. Having a ferry come through Thatcher Pass can add to the excitement. I agree having the main up would be the better choice although I have done the same as you many times and gotten away with it. One time from Anacortes to Bellingham with our Jaeanneau, it did not and caused a broach during a ferocious gust. All good fun in the Salish sea
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 10:19   #12

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
This is a bit of cool video. It's tough to get stuff that's very remarkable without being in waves that are at least breaking the line of sight to the horizon. Even though the boats been out on some great sailing recently nothing compelling for video until this trip.

Waves here are probably 4 to 8 feet. It's blowing mostly about 30 I would guess with the range 20 - 35.

The boats dragging a bit without enough sail most of the time. But being alone with my back hurting and a gale forecast I opted for starting out with the jib only and eventually put up the main to make ground to windward and get into Rosario Strait.

As long as the speed is staying up over 5 knots I'm happy enough when it's blowin. At that point I'm more concerned with breaking things and having an epic. That'll get me there before dark and if some crazy wind comes up I just have to roll up the jib and ride out the puff.

But it depends on the nature of the blow. If I can be pretty sure it won't exceed 35 I'll push things harder, but this time of year and especially this year it's just hard to know what to expect and I'm opting for caution.

Ideally I would have used the trysail. The boat would certainly handle the waves better going faster but there would be more average heel and I was worried about the poo hitting the fan and having to go on deck to get the sail down. It doesn't take much sail on my boat and the trysail can look pretty large some times.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...944/fa571676e5
korrigan: Nice video. I agree completely with your decision of proceed under head sail only. When blowing 30+, my strategy is to carry sail appropriate for the gusts and accept being under powered the rest of the time.

Like you, I feel that 5 knots is plenty of speed. Certainly, the motion of the boat and the flying water is enough to keep us from getting bored.

Here is a video that I made one month ago in similar conditions just South of where you were sailing. I did not have a destination so this was just a day-sail, reaching (close, beam and broad) back and forth across Admiralty Inlet. Head sail of about 75 square feet. 15,000 lb. boat.

Nice and safe but I am sure that if my mom were still alive, She would have made a comment similar to yours.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 11:17   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Nice job both of you!! Making good time & not breaking you or the boat.
I'd love to find that "majic" boat that doesn't roll when it's snotty

Tks for vids- Merry Christmas

Cheers/ Len
Old 21-12-2015, 11:31   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

enjoyed your video. thanks for sharing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 13:09   #15

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
The boat didn't roll much more than 45 degrees so the spreaders never got close to the water. Rolling like that gets pretty routine around here after a while. If it wasn't for using auto one could drive around those big sets and the ride would be better, but I sort of like the fun of going right through them even if it's bad style.

It certainly would have been rougher had the current been going the other way but then I also would have been able to foot off and not go beam on to the seas.

An Easterly gale of the sort that have been happening out there recently seems unusual to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to Port Angeles but that's not much of a destination compared to the islands. Normally when gales come from the S or SE Port Angeles will be dead calm but not with these Easterlies... strange but interesting stuff.

Yeah my moms comment is funny. Hard to believe after all these years of doing this sort of thing I would still have to explain that it's far more dangerous just to drive up to the boat than to sail in a gale in this area.
Exciting sailing korrigan, did I not see the trailing edge of your mains'l near the end of that vid, and what is that 4:1 on the starb'd side attached to? ... is it a Running backstay? I'm guessing you might have a cutter rig ... No???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote