Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 11:08   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

The discussion of the inverted cone for sailboats in the AIS reliance thread got me thinking about national modifications to the IRPCS.

In Canada

We have a modification to rule 25 (e)

Quote:
Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars Canadian Modification

(f)
Notwithstanding paragraph (e), in the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, a vessel of less than 12 metres in length proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery is not required to exhibit a conical shape, apex downwards, but may do so.
US Inland rules have a similar modification

Quote:
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so.
How many other countries modify the IRPCS? How many of us are aware of those mods when we visit other countries.

The ones mentioned above are not that crucial; this one is:

Quote:
Rule 28

Vessels Constrained by their Draught International

(a)
A vessel constrained by her draught may, in addition to the lights prescribed for power-driven vessels in Rule 23, exhibit where they can best be seen three all-round red lights in a vertical line, or a cylinder.

Vessels Constrained by their Draught Canadian Modification

(b)
Notwithstanding paragraph (a), in the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, no vessel shall exhibit three all-round red lights in a vertical line or a cylinder.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:32   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Those are not modifications to Colregs. Colregs is Colregs!

They are additional national special rules in accordance with Colregs:

Rule 1
(a) These rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

(b) Nothing in these rules shall interfere with the operation of special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbours, rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to these rules.


I would have expected someone with your constantly repeated qualifications would be aware of this and appreciate the difference.
__________________

__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:51   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Those are not modifications to Colregs. Colregs is Colregs!

They are additional national special rules in accordance with Colregs:

Rule 1
(a) These rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

(b) Nothing in these rules shall interfere with the operation of special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbours, rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to these rules.


I would have expected someone with your constantly repeated qualifications would be aware of this and appreciate the difference.
The tern used in Canada is "modifications."

Collision Regulations

In the US, the special rules are the Inland Rules.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:00   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The tern used in Canada is "modifications."

Collision Regulations

In the US, the special rules are the Inland Rules.
I guess it's a matter of terminology.

But no country can modify IRPCS, it is an International agreement.

A country can only produced local legislation based on IRPCS.

The Canadian authorities have called their Inland Rules "Collision Regulations C.R.C. c 1416". That is not IRPCS,modified or otherwise.

It is local legislation based on IRPCS with special rules (modifications if you want) added.

Perhaps your original question should have been
"How many other countries have their own legislation based on IPRCS with local modifications"
rather than
"How many other countries modify the IRPCS?"
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:36   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I guess it's a matter of terminology.

But no country can modify IRPCS, it is an International agreement.

A country can only produced local legislation based on IRPCS.

The Canadian authorities have called their Inland Rules "Collision Regulations C.R.C. c 1416". That is not IRPCS,modified or otherwise.

It is local legislation based on IRPCS with special rules (modifications if you want) added.

Perhaps your original question should have been
"How many other countries have their own legislation based on IPRCS with local modifications"
rather than
"How many other countries modify the IRPCS?"
From "Schedule 1 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972 with Canadian Modifications" from Collision Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1416)

Collision Regulations

Quote:
Rule 28

Vessels Constrained by their Draught International

(a)
A vessel constrained by her draught may, in addition to the lights prescribed for power-driven vessels in Rule 23, exhibit where they can best be seen three all-round red lights in a vertical line, or a cylinder.

Vessels Constrained by their Draught Canadian Modification

(b)
Notwithstanding paragraph (a), in the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, no vessel shall exhibit three all-round red lights in a vertical line or a cylinder.
Canadian Modifications, of which there are many, are our "special rules" and are embedded within Schedule 1.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 18:39   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From "Schedule 1 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972 with Canadian Modifications" from Collision Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1416)

Collision Regulations



Canadian Modifications, of which there are many, are our "special rules" and are embedded within Schedule 1.
Schedule 1 is NOT IRPCS. It is part of Collision Regulations (C.R.C. c.1461) i.e. a totally separate piece of national legislation.

So Canada has not "modified IRPCS". They have produced their own legislation based on IRPCS.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 21:01   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Schedule 1 is NOT IRPCS. It is part of Collision Regulations (C.R.C. c.1461) i.e. a totally separate piece of national legislation.

So Canada has not "modified IRPCS". They have produced their own legislation based on IRPCS.
Pedantic personified.

Unless some one else wants to contribute to the discussion, I am out of here.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 23:39   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Pedantic personified.

Unless some one else wants to contribute to the discussion, I am out of here.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:38   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Still waiting for the world to have one common navigational light system. Gets tiring of having European sailors merrily sailing outside the channel markets when making port along our eastern seaports.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:40   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlantic ICW 29N/81W
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Posts: 817
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

COLREGS threads are like GUN issue threads, sooner or later somebody gets Pi$$ed off
__________________
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:47   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlantic ICW 29N/81W
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Posts: 817
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Still waiting for the world to have one common navigational light system. Gets tiring of having European sailors merrily sailing outside the channel markets when making port along our eastern seaports.

Gets tiring for us too, time the US joined the rest of the world in so many things. Add TV systems and AC electrics to the list too.
__________________
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:01   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Still waiting for the world to have one common navigational light system. Gets tiring of having European sailors merrily sailing outside the channel markets when making port along our eastern seaports.
There used to be 30 different buoyage systems. Getting it down to 2 was a big step. Three countries using System B in the middle of System A must be more frustrating.

International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation Lighthouse Authorities Maritime Buoyage System - CCG - Aids to Navigation
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:08   #13
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Interestingly the US inland waterway special rules apply to most/many of their coastal ports, harbours and coastlines. It's worth checking those special rules even if not planning on using their 'inland waterways'
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:16   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlantic ICW 29N/81W
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Posts: 817
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Interestingly the US inland waterway special rules apply to most/many of their coastal ports, harbours and coastlines. It's worth checking those special rules even if not planning on using their 'inland waterways'
And why I stuck on 'reminder' labels' to the wheel pedestal!
__________________
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:52   #15
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 2,593
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Schedule 1 is NOT IRPCS. It is part of Collision Regulations (C.R.C. c.1461) i.e. a totally separate piece of national legislation.

So Canada has not "modified IRPCS". They have produced their own legislation based on IRPCS.
Title on the cover of Transport Canada current "Modifications"...............

International Regulations For Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972
with Canadian Modifications.


Suggest you contact Transport Canada and tell them they are not allowed to do that.
__________________

__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Lights and ColRegs Weyalan Marine Electronics 11 03-08-2016 09:57
National Versions of ColRegs ? jackdale Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 10 25-05-2010 20:43
Colregs Question unbusted67 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 2 11-12-2008 19:41
<rant on> ColRegs Amgine The Sailor's Confessional 16 13-08-2007 11:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.