Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 08:16   #1
Registered User
 
OldFrog75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Boat: Club Sailor; various
Posts: 922
My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Went out for a short late afternoon sail last week in 8-12 kts of wind on a Capri 22. While sailing on a beam reach, the lower shroud on the port side broke and before I could tack around to shift the load to the starboard side, the mast snapped in half at the spreaders and then tore what was left of the mast and step off the deck when everything (mast, rigging, sails) fell over the starboard side of the boat and into the water.


(Recent post-mortem = T-bar fitting failure on the lower shroud)

Fortunately no one was injured (there were 3 of us on board) and the boat was small enough that we were able to drag everything out of the water and back on board without knocking a hole in the hull or cutting anyone and then motor back to the slip.


Nothing I have read or talked about adequately prepared me for how fast all of this happens. It was like, pow...wtf..crash! Clearly an argument for inspecting and/or refitting one's standing rigging on a "regular basis".
__________________

__________________
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:24   #2
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,434
Images: 25
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Went out for a short late afternoon sail last week in 8-12 kts of wind on a Capri 22. While sailing on a beam reach, the lower shroud on the port side broke and before I could tack around to shift the load to the starboard side, the mast snapped in half at the spreaders and then tore what was left of the mast and step off the deck when everything (mast, rigging, sails) fell over the starboard side of the boat and into the water.


(Recent post-mortem = T-bar fitting failure on the lower shroud)

Fortunately no one was injured (there were 3 of us on board) and the boat was small enough that we were able to drag everything out of the water and back on board without knocking a hole in the hull or cutting anyone and then motor back to the slip.


Nothing I have read or talked about adequately prepared me for how fast all of this happens. It was like, pow...wtf..crash! Clearly an argument for inspecting and/or refitting one's standing rigging on a "regular basis".
How old was the rig?
__________________

__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:38   #3
Registered User
 
OldFrog75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Boat: Club Sailor; various
Posts: 922
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
How old was the rig?

Good question. I don't know. I will try to find out.
__________________
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 04:09   #4
Registered User
 
Hydra's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lorient, Brittany, France
Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Posts: 1,229
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

OldFrog,
Could you post a picture of the fracture area on the failed part?

Alain
__________________
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Similar failure in our boat on our way from Panama towards Galapagos:

- lower shroud, T-bar terminal, (Haselfors, (now Selden), 5 mm wire). Some time later they upgraded this (beefed up). We have twin lowers, it was a light day, and so we could save the mast.

These need regular replacement - also their backing (in-mast) plates.

How old is this piece of your rigging?

barnakiel
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:54   #6
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,715
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Old Frog,

You have my sympathy. It is never a good thing when you hear the big ka-BANG!

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:30   #7
Registered User
 
OldFrog75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Boat: Club Sailor; various
Posts: 922
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
OldFrog,
Could you post a picture of the fracture area on the failed part?

Alain
Unfortunately I didn't have my phone/camera with me and missed the photo op for the boards here. The boat is now out for repairs. If they still have the fitting laying around, I'll try to get a picture.

The upper and lower shrouds are attached to tangs that are bolted onto the mast. The shouds have T-bar fittings (shaped like a J with a bar across the end) that slide into slots in the tang. The T-bar snapped off the end of the fitting on the lower shroud and then the mast snapped in half at the spreaders.

For those who asked, I will try to find out how old the rigging was.
__________________
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:32   #8
Registered User
 
OldFrog75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Boat: Club Sailor; various
Posts: 922
Re: My first (and hopefully last) demasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Old Frog,

You have my sympathy. It is never a good thing when you hear the big ka-BANG!

Ann
Thanks. The good news is no one was injured.
__________________

__________________
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mast

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.