Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2007, 21:54   #1

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
More advice please

Hi all,

Have been reading as much as possible, but only so many hours in the day, so I'm relying on folks here to help. Figure with all the things folks here have already read and experienced, you're way ahead of where I'll ever be.

Good news is that it appears my lymphoma is treatable. According to the docs, and prognosis indicators, I have a 63% chance of still being around in 5 years. Yeah, but that still isn't a lot of time, so need to expedite my plans if at all possible.

I've read here, looked at boats, thought a lot about what I want to do, in terms of where I'll go, how I'll live, and so far have only come to a few conclusions. Although I appreciate all the rationale, reasonings, and advice of the forum here, I just don't think I would be comfortable on anything less than 40 foot or so. I LIKE SPACE. And, if I'm going to be living on it for an extended time, some time cruising, some time just spent tied up or anchored while I explore various places I might land, I want to be able to take a certain amount of stuff with me, not the kind of stuff you replenish, but the kinds of things I'm used to having around. Music, books, clothes,i.e. more than 2 pairs of shorts, or a half dozen t shirts, etc.

So, I'm concentrating on boats between 40 and 50 feet. Seriously looking at a Transpac 49, which is already in the VI. That brings up the single handing issue. I'll be traveling either alone, or possibly with a non sailor companion, who, although willing, is only 5', and about hundred pounds. Obviously she isn't going to tackle sail changes in heavy weather.

Several on here have said the best 2 items for single handing are 1) reliable autopilot, and 2) roller furling jib. So, those I definitely plan on. To add to that, several have said a cutter rig is a good set up. So, a few questions,

What do you guys, and gals, think is the best overall set up? Taking in mind the following, ease of operation, reasonable flexibility and comprimise, I'm not a racer, and in no hurry, but want a boat to respond well in bad weather, and light winds. Having all lines led to the cockpit, eliminating the need to go forward in bad weather would be ideal. One fellow recommended to me a self tending set up for the forward staysail. What about the main? Is in mast or in boom furling really helpful. If so, it would be worth the money to me. Seems to me that a bow thruster, although expensive, would really help docking in crowded slips, and/or rough seas, high wind days. Thoughts? Any other ideas that would make it easier to handle the boat by myself. I know Elusibe does a good job by himself, and several others on here have said they single hand craft in the 45'+ range quite regularly.

Sorry to run on for so long, just trying to get all the input and advice I can before making the leap of faith. Thanks to all.

Rich
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 22:29   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I could ramble on for an hours on single handing and which boat would be best. BUT, If you goto this thread that was just up not too long ago It may give you some good info on what's what and which baot that might soot you best.

BTW In-mast furlings can be a problem. But learning the ins & outs of them (a little training) , they're not ALL that bad. And a bow thruster for bigger boats is OK but their life span (hours) can be short. I'd only use when absolutly necessary (High wind or very tight docking).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...single+handing
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 02:25   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Never going to be in the market for something this size......

But FWIW, I would definately go for a bow thruster - especially given your intended crew levels. I would also want an ability to scoot around the decks / sidedecks when docking, but I am guessing that most boats this size would be fairly easy to get around.

Whilst I would not base a boat purchase around this, you may want to consider how / whether you could store a dinghy onboard / on deck. And possibly whether you could lay out enough solar panels to keep you going (I am guessing yer probably will have a few toys on board ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 03:41   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Just a question. Why are you looking at such a large boat for such a small crew? If you want to single hand or short hand, things get easier under 40'.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 04:59   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
rich .. 50 feet is a lot of boat to handle at sea and at port. nice while tied up at a marina but are you going sailing? i wish you the best with your lymphoma
Old 21-02-2007, 06:04   #6

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Rich - welcome abord and good luck with your treatments.

I have an Irwin ketch. I would recommend a ketch as an easier rig to handle as the main is smaller and therefor easier to handle in stronger air. There are more sail combinations available to set depending on wind and sea conditions. Many ketchs are cutter rigged as well so a self-tending staysail and furler on the jib wll make sail handle forward easier if you want a cutter for performance, otherwise, just have a 130% genny on the furler - make sure it is a roller REEFING sail and you shouldn't need to leave the cockpit to handle to fordeck.

I would have full batten main and mizzen and a sail pack type of capture system that makes sail lowering and stowage easier. North Sails makes a good system and now has a retro fit slide sytem with exterenal track to convert to an easy and dependable full batten sail.

My boats is 37 feet and quite roomy - centre cockpit and the larger Irwins may deserve a look for ideas if nothing else. There are quite a few on Yachtworld.com.

I think a thruster is more to do with personal docking anxiety levels as a sailboat tracks very well as opposed to power boats and with a little training and practise, you can use a breast spring line dropped over a cleat as you glide in to stop and hold the boat against the dock while you make her fast.

In any event, there is more knowledge from members on this site than can be found anywhere so enjoy gleening from it and good luck on your choice off boats.

Best Regards, Randy
Old 21-02-2007, 09:32   #7

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
George, 50' would be the upside, more likely something in the 42/46 area. I have looked at several vessels under 40, and so far, all of them have felt cramped to me. As stated earlier, I like space.

Randy, I have looked at several Irwins and I really like the layout. I have not looked at a 37', maybe I should. I did find a 46 over in Florida that looked really nice. I will check on some of the smaller Irwins. What is the berthing arrangement on your boat? Aft cabin, Vberth, quarter? I just really like aft berthing, and it seems to be almost nonexistent on boats under 40'. Maybe haven't looked enough, or maybe need to adjust my thinking on space. But the advice here is helpful and appreciated. I'm still digesting it all, so any additional input or ideas are welcome.
Thanks to all for the input and advice.

Rich,, ps, out of town till Sunday, no access, will check back in then.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 10:36   #8

Rich - My 37 has the interior space of a 42 with full headroom all the way through including the aftcabin. If you go to Irwin Yachts and enter the site, their are drawings of all models and I think that any ketches in the 40 to 50 ft range would suit you both for accomadations and pricing. You sometimes read or hear negative things about Irwins but there were so many built and many were not maintained properly through the years - BUT there are quite a few that are quite good and it requires some looking but they are roomy and comfortable both at dock and underway. With a full cockpit enclosure, it's like another room on deck and they sail well - just not as close to the wind as a light racer.

Good luck with your search - let me know if I can help further.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:01   #9

Plan to sail offshore? If so, I'd strongly suggest that you look for a vessel that is built for such. One that will heave to, especially if you'll be alone. Have means of dealing with the large forces required to handle the large sails, large anchor, etc. What happens when the electric capstan dies? Also, look at the large interior spaces and figure out what it'll be like to be thrown across that space and brought up against a hard object. You'll need handholds within reach at every location below that you intend to move across. Huge interior space doesn't mean anything to mother ocean.

I'd also strongly suggest buying and reading this John Vigor book.
http://www.amazon.com/Seaworthy-Offs.../dp/007137616X
Best of luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 12:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
"...Huge interior space doesn't mean anything to mother ocean..."
Those expansive spaces mean opportunity to Mother Ocean, who has a very mischievious sence of humour (?cruel streak?).

John Vigor has sailed for more than 40 years and logged some 15,000 miles of ocean voyaging. In 1987 he and his wife, June, and their 17-year-old-son sailed their 31-foot sloop from South Africa to the U.S.
Notwithstanding, he is a Professional Writer, not primarily a Seaman, Shipwright, nor Naval Architect.
Accordingly, he doesn't give much away for free.
Here's a few on-line freebies:

Planning for an Unplanned Inversion~ by John Vigor
Good Old Boat: Planning for an unplanned inversion By John Vigor

Vigor's Black Box Theory~ By John Vigor
http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/blackbox.asp

A Prayer for Safe Docking~ by John Vigor
http://www.48north.com/dec_2004/safe_docking.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 13:10   #11

Randy and Gord - I agree - my boat is only 11'6" beam and is laid out for steady handholds and smaller spaces to walk through but of course larger boats have larger spaces and some could pose a problem of becoming airborn with nothing close to hold on to. However as we are all improving our boats, handholds and strong points can be added to any interior. I think that Rich was looking for a coastal cruiser if I'm not mistaken. BTW Randy , what kind of boat do you have?

If it's offshore capability in the price range he wants, then maybe he should look at an Amel.
Old 21-02-2007, 13:12   #12

Strike my question Randy - I just saw your signature line - Cape Dory 25.
Old 22-02-2007, 06:06   #13

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If you really feel the need for room, there are some good seaworthy catamarans out there. Twin engines make maneuvering at the dock much easier. Our 38’ cat is roomier than most ~45’ monos we visit and having sailed both, I think the cat is easier to short hand.

I don’t want to start the mono/multi debate. Just don’t rule them out without looking at them seriously.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 06:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
Strike my question Randy - I just saw your signature line - Cape Dory 25.
Close, it's a Cape Dory 25D. She's a Carl Alberg design with the little one lunger Yanmar 1GM diesel, and the head in the usual v-berth area. The 25D is one of John Vigor's selection in his book "20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere". Mike Cunningham is currently sailing across the Pacific in his. Quite a different boat from the Cape Dory 25, which is an outboard driven, day/coastal cruiser w/o standing headroom.
http://www.capedory.org/specs/cd25d.htm
sister ship
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1254131/0

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 07:44   #15

I stand corrected - sounds like a great boat - are you planning a bluewater voyage?