Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 21:26   #1

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop
mooring between pylons Brisbane gardens

I am staying on the Brisbane city gardens pylons. Of late, the wave swell from the city hoppers is so bad, i am being thrown around in the yacht. Using bow and stern mooring lines is there any ideas on ways to absorb the shock? I have seen a few of late hanging weight on the lines.
Any ideas are helpfull.
To put the jolt into perspective, the gimballed oven cant be used on some tides.
Thank you.
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 00:17   #2

Re: mooring between pylons Brisbane gardens

Glad I am not the only one who is not sure about this problem
Old 10-03-2015, 00:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I docked at a very rolly berth. My dock lines would last less than 2 months. I made my own snubbers from super heavy bungee cords and spent less on docklines.

However, to dampen the roll is virtually impossible. You may have to move.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 00:55   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry, can't help. We once tied up there in our first Insatiable, and the waves broke into our cockpit in some wind states and tide. We left. Anchored out between the bridge and the moorings. You need to re-anchor every few days to avoid the dhain wrapping round the anchor, but the mud was good holding, and we passed quite a few pleasant days there at anchor. DO NOT LEAVE GLASSES SITTING ON THE DRAINBOARD, though, the ferry wakes will dump them. [You know already how I know this. ;-( ]

Ann
Old 10-03-2015, 01:17   #5

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hi Tacmed great spot to be but these days just about untenable why not try down river some pretty good spots you can always catch that B%#$%*ferry to town
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:02   #6

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Tacmed,
have not had that problem but if rolling while on pile mooring it may assist if you put a flopper stopper out. Utilise your spinnaker pole and a series of resistance stoppers over the side and it should theoretically reduce your side to side movement considerably.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi Tacmed great spot to be but these days just about untenable why not try down river some pretty good spots you can always catch that B%#$%*ferry to town
Hi Jacko...where would be a good location? My car is in storage in Balimba anyway. Nothing to miss about being right in the city. I like the ferry rides anyway.
The council has no inrerest in this place anyway from what i see. I would rather pay money to a place that does.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. Even if i did have to google one of them

Thanks again for yoir time folls
Terry
Old 13-03-2015, 06:30   #8

Boat: none

Had a friend with a mono hull in the marina just down from Kangaroo Point, which is badly affected by ferry wash. He hoisted a 40-50 lb weight and secured it to the top of his mast, seemed to dampen the rolling significantly . Didnt make any sense to me, you would think it would make it worse. But i saw it in action when the ferries past and sure enough when all the other masts where bouncing around nearly hitting each other, his boat was sitting there relativaly calmly. Might be worth a try. You would want to secure it pretty well thou or it could do some damage.
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:30   #9

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I've seen a boat from Durban with stainless steel springs and Dyneema lines. Owner said they worked well but I could see them costing more than some boats.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:42   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Use a second set of light nylon mooring lines adjusted fairly tight and allow some slack in the main mooring lines to stop the snatching might help, nylon has more springiness than poly.

In technical terms the rolling is a resonance phenomenon and anything you can do to alter the natural frequency of the boat such as hauling a weight up the mast or hanging it over the side on a pole will help.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 16:27   #11

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hey Tacmed I have anchored at Bulimba several times between the ferry landing and the sailing club it is a bit busy at times and it was a while ago so don't know what its like to get a spot there now but that was pretty good . I joined the sailing club so could leave my car there and dingy and also use the club showers etc. There is some good spots further around down river !! Cheers
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 04:35   #12

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
Had a friend with a mono hull in the marina just down from Kangaroo Point, which is badly affected by ferry wash. He hoisted a 40-50 lb weight and secured it to the top of his mast, seemed to dampen the rolling significantly . Didnt make any sense to me, you would think it would make it worse. But i saw it in action when the ferries past and sure enough when all the other masts where bouncing around nearly hitting each other, his boat was sitting there relativaly calmly. Might be worth a try. You would want to secure it pretty well thou or it could do some damage.
I think it was Dockhead who corrected me on my false physics that 100kg of mast and rigging should have little effect on stability compared to a 3000kg keel (in the context of rig loss).

With my new Cruisers Forum updated physics brain I can take a stab here.

Quote:
As the radius of gyration increases, the moment of inertia of a the mass will increase by the square of the distance that the radius of gyration increases.
Example: If two rolls have equal weights, but Roll 1 diameter = 1 inch and Roll 2 diameter = 3 inches, it will take 9 times more torque to accelerate the 3 inch roll than the 1 inch roll.
So while it slightly raises the centre of gravity and makes it fractionally more unstable in respect to capsize the weight aloft is REALLY hard to move so passes force onto standing rigging and dampens motion in waves.

I remember reading about old ships putting cannon balls up in their rigging and never understanding this concept.
Old 18-03-2015, 04:03   #13

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Hi tacmed
my brother had same problem at the brisbane river piles. I being a mad 4wd er went and got one of my recovery snatch straps cut it in half and used it to tie to the pole. due to the elastic stretch these helped absorb the jerking and stopped any more chaffing and ripping out deck cleats.
Cheers dean
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, mooring