Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2019, 01:16   #1

Boat: Malo 39
Mooring alongside single handed

What’s you favorite technique for coming alongside and mooring single handed in a 35-45 foot monohull?
Does anyone have good method for managing when there are only mooring rings?
Will be interesting to see if there are a variety of methods or does one method tend to dominate. Thanks.

Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 01:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Mooring alongside single handed

Hell thats a loaded question! There is many factors to go into that equation which I would say experience is utmost. A short list of factors would go something like this. Strength of current, manouervrability of vessel, strength of wind, proximity of other vessels.
Basically tho I wud go with up wind or up current depending on which has the greatest effect on manouvreability.
It becomes natural if u r experienced in it.
Sometimes you get applause for doing it under sail but that's just experience.
Can't give you a hard & fast rule but don't get blown or swept on to it is a start.,

Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 02:17   #3

Boat: J/88

for mooring alongside I use a stern bridle. As you come alongside come to a stop near the pier/dock, throw your stern line over the cleat on the dock and wrap the bitter end around your cockpit winch and cleat it off. Now you can steer away from the dock and go ahead slow pulling the boat alongside. you can vary the rudder angle, the power, and the length of the line to get her close to where she will sit still in gear allowing you to go get the appropriate lines ashore and secure the bow. There is a video on line somewhere from a Duncan ????? an English writer who details the technique.
Old 19-09-2019, 02:30   #4

For mooring rings something like this?

https://proboatingsupply.com/shop/ho...ing-post-bouy/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hook-Moor-Boat-Hook-2m65ft-Telescoping-for-Boat-Mooring-Cleat-Ring-Post-Bouy-0.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	200120  
kevinof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 03:02   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Unless there is a strong off dock wind or current, can you prepare a line at an amidship cleat, fender up good, pull up and step off with line in hand. A quick round turn takes 2 seconds on the ring and then fiddle around at your leisure. In serious conditions, I wouldn't try it single-handed anyway, wait for a passerby or another dock facing a different direction.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:51   #6

Boat: Island Packet 420

I'm a single-hander on a 44' boat. Picking up a mooring is really not that difficult. If in an area with strong currents, stop the boat outside the mooring field and see in which direction she will drift. I then attach a long dock line to my forward cleat and stream it all the way back to the cockpit. With boathook handy, approach the mooring ball from downwind or down current VERY slowly. The hard part is telling how close you are to the ball if you can't see the ball from the cockpit. I steer her in real close and let the ball bounce off the hull so I can hear it. Going very slowly, cut power as soon as you know the ball is alongside your hull, go forward and grab the mooring. You will have probably about a boat length of going forward before the boat starts to drift back, and plenty of time to grab that buoy.

When docking, I always tie off at midship first. If the middle of the boat is tied up, the bow and stern cannot go far.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:54   #7

As solo sailer In Holland we do that all the time.
First you have to find the best site of you boat for getting close to the Dock.
That depence on the prop direction. Left or right turning.
The easyest way is down wind or down current.
You only fasten your boat at the back.
Of the Dock is on the lee site you have the wind blow you in place.
Of the Dock is on the windward site you take a line in the midle of you boat
Just practici.
FransvanBuuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 09:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post

When docking, I always tie off at midship first. If the middle of the boat is tied up, the bow and stern cannot go far.
I assume by "mooring alongside" you're referring to a dock. Above works using a breast line while you tend to the bow and stern lines.

You can use the midship cleat to spring onto and off of the dock as well.

To spring onto the dock, turn away from the dock and put into FWD. If the dock is on the side your prop walks you, you can put into REV.

To spring off of the dock, turn towards the dock and put into FWD until the stern kicks away, then Rev to back away. This depends a bit on prop walk as well.

You might need to 'bump and fill' to work the boat around once you're away from the dock a bit.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 09:22   #9

found the link on my lunch for the stern bridle:

Old 19-09-2019, 09:58   #10

Boat: PDQ 44i

Thank you. That stern bridle video is quite the best thing I have seen all day.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 10:01   #11

I have Duncan Wells' SFS book, and it's a great resource.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
Thank you. That stern bridle video is quite the best thing I have seen all day.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 10:16   #12

If you back in you can simply loop the stern line over the innermost dock cleat and power forward too though you may have to experiment with rudder position to get her to lay along side.
Old 19-09-2019, 10:28   #13

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

For single-hand moorings I approach from downwind/down current until the mooring or pennant is back by the cockpit and stop the boat. I loop the line through the mooring from the cockpit with a line, then walk the line forward and secure the line short. I add a second mooring line and adjust the lines as usual.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 10:57   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
What’s you favorite technique for coming alongside and mooring single handed in a 35-45 foot monohull?
Does anyone have good method for managing when there are only mooring rings?
Will be interesting to see if there are a variety of methods or does one method tend to dominate. Thanks.
I have a problem with the question wording and assume you are talking about a dock vice a buoy. As I moor (park) my boat to a buoy 24/7/365 I consider any dock landing a challenge and a chance to learn even after 30 years.

To begin with there is a difference between a dock you have been to before and one you have not. If the latter, check your guide book for any write-up on the dock and, hopefully, a diagram of the harbor and docks noting any anomaly. Always note the current and wind and the state of other boats in the area to see what has the predominant affect. Be prepared with lines and fenders set. Note the choices that you may have available, i.e. can you land on either side of the dock and which one is to your advantage...much better to be blown onto the dock than to be blown off the dock as a single hander. Note the tie-down fixtures as you approach...are they cleats, poles, or the common running beam along the dock which takes a tad longer to tie onto. Lastly, don't be prideful and ask for assistance of anyone is on the dock that may be present but be prepared to give directions if you do because many don't know diddly.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 12:45   #15

Boat: Morgan 46 ketch

Lot of you are not reading the OP closely. OP asked about docks with rings, not cleats and not buoys.

Rings are difficult to use because you have to feed the line through and then either back to your boat or tie a knot on the ring. Either requires 3x the time of locking a line to a bollard or cleat, but for some reason these darn rings are often used particularly by the cheapest marinas or other owners of low budget docks. The rings lie flat on the dock so you probably can't use the item shown in one of the posts to pass the line through the ring while you are still on the boat.

Looks like the fastest way to get the boat initially secured to the dock is to have all your lines ready, one long one from bow outside lifelines and loosely wrapped once on a shroud or stanchion near midships, and a similar one from stern cleat to midships. Use polypro floating line for this temporary stern line. You don't want it getting in the prop. And another line on midship cleat, running from cleat under life lines, outside up and over lifelines and back to deck in a loose figure 8 flake. Put your boathook on deck in same area.

Then bring boat in very close and use reverse with propwalk if possible and stop boat where dock ring is abeam midship cleat. Shift to neutral and hustle amidships, grab midship line and the boathook, step/jump on dock and stick a bight of mid line through the ring and make a couple quick half hitches on the bight.

If your boat is big and wind is strong you may now have the boat a couple feet from the dock and very hard to pull in to dock, so you may have to use the boathook to retrieve the loose end of your bow and/or stern lines that are available at the shrouds.

waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, single