Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 03:15   #16

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Mojo

Youth is WASTED on the young.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 03:17   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
OK, I think I get the picture.....you need this 'mojo' thing to function properly.
I think I'll just continue to rely on what expertise I have, learning and experience.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 08:50   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...Sometimes, when it just don't feel right, its best to take a step back...
Well done. Just accept that it was God warning you.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:54   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

Review and study the "Austin Powers" movies for the definition and application of "Mojo"
Old 25-05-2014, 10:02   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 25-05-2014, 10:16   #21

I have long wondered about the relationship, if any, between mojo and juju.

Actually, it just occurred to me so I haven't really wondered all that long. A beer says the collected wisdom of the world wide web has the answer.
Old 25-05-2014, 10:21   #22

Boat: Skookum 53'

In Nigeria, juju is considered to be akin to witch craft, casting spells, or to have the power of a medicine man. Mojo, I think would considered more of a personal juju. The Nigerians take it very seriously, even the christians. Then there is joss, from the orient, which to my understanding is a combination of luck, fate, & destiny. Which I could be entirely wrong, it is just my understanding of it.
Old 25-05-2014, 10:41   #23
cruiser

We had a Mojo issue of our own just a few hours ago leaving Garrucha, Spain for Cartegena. Too weird... here's what happened:

We left for Cartegena today around 10am. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. We got just outside the breakwater... everything was fine, until I smelled electrical smoke.... fire! So maybe 300 yards from the harbor entrance, I immediately shut down the engine and all electrical systems and my good friend Art and I set out to find the source of the fire/smoke... which turned out to be... the engine compartment. To avoid going up on the rocks, I dumped the anchor and 150ft of chain.

The engine wouldn't restart nor would any of our electrical systems come back on including the anchor windlass. Quickly we decided, we need to bring up the Ultra 45kg anchor and 300 pounds of chain to get out of the situation or call for expensive help, so we rigged a contraption to haul up the anchor by hand using the sail winch, took us two hours to do. The main sail wouldn't unfurl, because it uses an electric motor, so we had to use that stupid little mini crank to get it out which we did (1/2 hour). Then as soon as the anchor came off the bottom we began to drift towards the beach, because by this time we'd drifted past the harbor breakwater (the rocks). It took me 5-6 tries to bring the boat around without the use of the jib... we'd decided not to set up the jib ahead of time and instead do it in Cartegena because of the harbor gypson dirt... bad idea. The anchor then got snagged on a fisherman's fish trap, that Art was able to quickly untangle, so much going on that I didn't even know that until later.... I probably came less than 25 feet of running aground on the public beach before the wind miraculously came up as we made a broad turn towards the beach, then we began to pick up speed and head off shore. It was way too close a call.

Next, we hauled out the staysail and set it in order to head back directly upwind to Garrucha (1/2 mile away), it took us 3 hours to sail up 1 mile West of the harbor and head back towards the harbor entrance, by now the wind had increased to 20 knots. The stay sail furling mechanism wouldn't turn so that we could furl the sail in... it was stuck. We were then able to furl the main sail to 25% by hand and began our one shot effort to dock the mammoth without an engine or bowthruster in 20-25 knots of wind inside the harbor. We sailed down past the gypson ships, I banged a U turn and came up alongside the outside harbor dock and headed into the wind. a few scrapes along side the boat which should buff out. We then dropped the sails. What a miserable, stressful day.

Everything turned out fine, no damage, but I think the engine starter motor was the source of the fire. Everything else works even the starter solenoid, it just won't turn over the engine. We'll pull it tomorrow and try to get a new one quickly. Then try to repair the staysail furler... probably something simple on that.

Art is asleep now taking a well-deserved nap... his first in years. I'm sure 99% of people would have just given up and called for help.... but not us. Now we sit here next to a enormous dirt ship ready to load gypson..... 150 meters from where we started.... in a boat reeking of burnt starter motor.

How was your day?

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:50   #24

Ken, great story, glad you survived. Maybe you wanna sell your Oyster and or swap it for the Pardey's Talesin, for sale in NZ. Simplicity, no electrics...

Mojo is like reefing, when you first think of it...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:51   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We had a Mojo issue of our own just a few hours ago leaving Garrucha, Spain for Cartegena. Too weird... here's what happened:

We left for Cartegena today around 10am. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. We got just outside the breakwater... everything was fine, until I smelled electrical smoke.... fire! So maybe 300 yards from the harbor entrance, I immediately shut down the engine and all electrical systems and my good friend Art and I set out to find the source of the fire/smoke... which turned out to be... the engine compartment. To avoid going up on the rocks, I dumped the anchor and 150ft of chain.

The engine wouldn't restart nor would any of our electrical systems come back on including the anchor windlass. Quickly we decided, we need to bring up the Ultra 45kg anchor and 300 pounds of chain to get out of the situation or call for expensive help, so we rigged a contraption to haul up the anchor by hand using the sail winch, took us two hours to do. The main sail wouldn't unfurl, because it uses an electric motor, so we had to use that stupid little mini crank to get it out which we did (1/2 hour). Then as soon as the anchor came off the bottom we began to drift towards the beach, because by this time we'd drifted past the harbor breakwater (the rocks). It took me 5-6 tries to bring the boat around without the use of the jib... we'd decided not to set up the jib ahead of time and instead do it in Cartegena because of the harbor gypson dirt... bad idea. The anchor then got snagged on a fisherman's fish trap, that Art was able to quickly untangle, so much going on that I didn't even know that until later.... I probably came less than 25 feet of running aground on the public beach before the wind miraculously came up as we made a broad turn towards the beach, then we began to pick up speed and head off shore. It was way too close a call.

Next, we hauled out the staysail and set it in order to head back to Garrucha (1/2 mile away), it took us 3 hours to sail up 1 mile West of the harbor and head back towards the harbor entrance, by now the wind had increased to 20 knots. The stay sail furling mechanism wouldn't turn so that we could furl the sail in... it was stuck. We were then able to furl the main sail to 25% by hand and began our one shot effort to dock the mammoth without an engine or bowthruster in 20-25 knots of wind inside the harbor. We sailed down past the gypson ships, I banged a U turn and came up alongside the outside harbor dock and headed into the wind. a few scrapes along side the boat which should buff out. We then dropped the sails. What a miserable, stressful day.

Everything turned out fine, no damage, but I think the engine starter motor was the source of the fire. Everything else works even the starter solenoid, it just won't turn over the engine. We'll pull it tomorrow and try to get a new one quickly. Then try to repair the staysail furler... probably something simple on that.

Art is asleep now taking a well-deserved nap... his first in years. I'm sure 99% of people would have just given up and called for help.... but not us.

How was your day?

Ken
Aint sailing wich yo until you dun got yer mojo going on agin!
Old 25-05-2014, 12:09   #26

Good story with a reasonable outcome! Your mojo must have been hanging out with Murphy at the local pub. Free beers for solving the dilemma the old-fashioned way. And perhaps it was actually your lucky day. Spit happens and you saved the boat.

A micro drift and certainly not aimed at you Ken, but as the cascade developed, I was reminded of all the CFers who insist they singlehand their larger cruisers. A few accomplished sailors may but I doubt that's very many because of just what you described. As the boats get bigger most need the power-assists, I know I would, and when they're out of commision it's "Oh spit!" time.

Old 25-05-2014, 12:29   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I have the recipe for "Mojo" somewhere around here. I do remember that the main ingredient was a good deal of rum. Definitely a sailor's drink.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:43   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I have the recipe for "Mojo" somewhere around here. I do remember that the main ingredient was a good deal of rum. Definitely a sailor's drink.
Always happy to help get your mojo goin

1 qt light rum
1 qt dark rum
1 pint cherry brandy
6 cans light beer
5 cans 7-Up® soda
4 qt pineapple juice
2 bags ice

Mix all ingredients in a large container. Keep stirred.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 13:18   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Next, we hauled out the staysail and set it in order to head back directly upwind to Garrucha (1/2 mile away), it took us 3 hours to sail up 1 mile West of the harbor and head back towards the harbor entrance, by now the wind had increased to 20 knots. The stay sail furling mechanism wouldn't turn so that we could furl the sail in... it was stuck. We were then able to furl the main sail to 25% by hand and began our one shot effort to dock the mammoth without an engine or bowthruster in 20-25 knots of wind inside the harbor. We sailed down past the gypson ships, I banged a U turn and came up alongside the outside harbor dock and headed into the wind. a few scrapes along side the boat which should buff out. We then dropped the sails. What a miserable, stressful day.

Art is asleep now taking a well-deserved nap... his first in years. I'm sure 99% of people would have just given up and called for help.... but not us. Now we sit here next to a enormous dirt ship ready to load gypson..... 150 meters from where we started.... in a boat reeking of burnt starter motor.

How was your day?

Ken

Really sorry to read about Your problems, Ken.

Hope You will sort the things out quickly

Have a good time after this unlucky start of season.

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 23:24   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ken, maybe you should cross post that story in one of the "nothing can or ever does go wrong with my in mast furling mainsail" threads.

Enlightening.

But glad you survived without (much) distress.

Jim