Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 18:55   #91

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor
Murphy, Mojo, and Juju walk into a sailors' bar... ;-)

The bar's in Ireland. It's all you can drink for a euro day. They all want two euros worth.

Murphy says, "
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 20:08   #92

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor
Murphy, Mojo, and Juju walk into a sailors' bar... ;-)

The bar's in Ireland. It's all you can drink for a euro day. They all want two euros worth.

Murphy says, "
(after having drank his first euro's worth)..."hey, see that sailor over there? ...."
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 03:24   #93

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
(after having drank his first euro's worth)..."hey, see that sailor over there? ...."

" he THINKS he's scoring with the barmaid tonight ... wonder how we could mess that up? Hmmmm..."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 06:01   #94

With all the boats sinking, rescues and sailors gone missing it just seems there is some bad JuJu floating around the north Atlantic these days including the coastal areas.

I am sometimes haunted by the memories of several young sailors I met in my travels who were heading south in the fall following their dreams. I listened to their plans and looked at their experience and had my doubts. But, I did not want to interfere with their Mojo and/or enthusiasm . But, one left just a few days before Hurricane Irene and the other a few days before Hurricane Sandy hit the area. Always wondered if they and their dream made it through.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:29   #95

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Related scientific research:

'Brain hub predicts negative events' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28525974
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09   #96

The science that explains how our brains work, at least as much as they have learned to date is indeed interesting. There is an interesting dividing line between our conscious mind and our unconscious mind and how from time to time the door opens between the two of them giving us the insight of our years of life experiences.

As to the other mumbo jumbo some of you guys really explain why in our more advanced society that we as a species still believe in superstitions as well as the supernatural.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Or, you just don't believe in anything. That way you get through the day without wasting your time worrying over rubbish stuff.

Coops.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:26   #98
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am probably more comfortable with that Coops than anything else.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Sorry, I don't believe in nihilism.

Coops.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:39   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
Finally, I think I'm beginning to understand this mojo thing.
I think a mojo is that small voice that rises unbidden from the subconscious that says 'go for it, you're on the right track' or ' watch out, if you carry on like that then you're going to be in deep do-do.
This then begs the question, do people of a more scientific frame of mind have intuition which is a clearly identifiable thought process based on learning and past experience, and to people who are a bit more wihimsical have a mojo?
To me intuition and gut feel are not mojo.

No mojo is more akin to being in the grove as others have said. Sports guys might call it "peaking" - anyone remember biorhythms? Without mojo one may hoist the genny forgetting to run the sheets, hoist the spinnaker sideways or with an hour glass. Start the engine without opening seackock. Invert two digits when programming a gps waypoint.

No mojo would be like a person who has all the necessary skills to make passage - sailing, navigating etc. but one feels "half a step" behind when executing. Sometimes ya do stuff and it's like a symphony.

Lots of muscle memory and training can make up for low mojo but to really excel you need that little extra bit of timing - especially when crap is hitting the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Congratulations! Your mojo has returned.

There is no such thing as bad mojo. It is either there or you've lost it. It's not hunch. It is more closely related to luck except it is more like being in a groove that just feels right as things go right.
My opininon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
With all the boats sinking, rescues and sailors gone missing it just seems there is some bad JuJu floating around the north Atlantic these days including the coastal areas.
Now bad juju is like witchcraft - I don't think it applies to the Atlantic. Bad juju is more like Karma. It's a specific punishment for a specific person.

When things are shitty find the guy on the crew who's lost his mojo and stiffed the bar tab at the last port of call and set him adrift in the liferaft that dude has a some bad juju (karma) coming at him- LOL...

However mojo doesn't make things go bad. Sometimes they just do. But bad juju doesn't help.

Murphy is really just a adjective to juju. Murphy just say when the bad things happen they will happen at the worst possible time.

Great mojo can offset karma, juju and murphy.

Just don't mess with Poseidon - That dude can really kick your ass. He also happens to be Aeolus's dad...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:45   #101

I'm not sure what not believing in anything means. I believe in lots of stuff, beauty, love, etc. that are a bit harder to define but I simply don't believe in supernatural stuff, magic,superstitions and gods of different sorts, the list is longer but you get the drift.
The mind is very powerful and often it can't tell the difference between actually doing and just thinking..ie: visualization that is used by almost all top athletes and test writers etc.
We as a species simply can not seem to live with not knowing certain things so we make up stories to answer the unanswerable questions in life and that seems to give many peace even if its just a story made up by others. If that works for you great but I'm OK with knowing that there is some stuff we have not figured out yet and we may never.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51   #102
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm not sure what not believing in anything means.....?
This is a good example.

"I think therefore I am"! Descartes

"How do you know it is YOU who is doing the thinking? "
Bertram Russell
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:06   #103

Well if they hook my brain to a machine and can see that there is something going on then it leads me to believe I am doing the thinking. If you want to believe for some reason that my thoughts are put there by some other unknown force or gods or whatever then have at it but I have the distinct belief that I create my own thoughts.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:08   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I like racing against non-believers. They may have mojo but have no clue how to use it...

Seriously (I'm an engineer) but I sailed against an engineer and kicked his butt. He actually engaged me in the afterbar and in the conversation it became clear from him that -

- He had read the books
- He had annotated the margins
- He had done what the book said
- Believed I should not have been able to beat him (because he was smarter, I am sure)
- Inferred I may have been cheating
- And for sure my handicap was wrong

Zero mojo...

And one boring-assed mofo to talk to - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17   #105

I've been beat by non-believers as well as believers and I have beat both. Its actually all about your sailing skills and a little luck and nothing about spiritual beliefs.