Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 22:23   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
MOB: Do You Practice?

Thinking about old skills I realized I have not done MOB practice this year, though I have a new set of people sailing with me. I will put this to rights next week, but...

Is this something people practice regularly? Obviously the question is for those who do not do it while teaching, though their views are also sought after.

If so, RORC, RYA or what method do you practice/favour? If under power?
Old 06-04-2011, 00:40   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: MOB: Do You Practice?

We practise regularly. Every 5 years or so. This is one of our bones of contention; every time I suggest it, the response I get from HWMO is "Nah, can't be bothered."
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:36   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
We practise regularly. Every 5 years or so.

Do you have written schedule for this so you don't miss the due date?

We practice the drill, normally because something fell off the boat that floated nd we wnt back.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Every time I loose my hat.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:27   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To be fair,we also sort of practise every year at the Cat Club Turkey Race, when we need to retrieve prizes from buoys... but that's on beach cats - so it's not much help in training the yacht crew. Well, actually, most yacht crew are cat sailors as well, so that's good!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:34   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

We do. I have done, a couple of times this year - with my students.

But I think I should exercise more in real life threatening conditions - running before a gale and at night.

I love the AIS MOB device but we do not carry one. I think in any serious MOB trouble this could save the day.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Every Spring.

5 gallon bucket and a big round fender. Haven't lost one yet.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:56   #8

Those who don't practice it are either so good that they can do it with their eyes closed, or too scared that they might reveal their own weaknesses to themselves and their crew.

Once you've given yourself a pat on the back for practicing picking up a bucket and fender under power in the flat calm, have a go at pulling a real person out of the water when you're moored/at anchor - this was a real eye-opener for me and we changed some of our behaviours and MOB plans as a result.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I typically do one about once a year and I have access to a weighted dummy ( bring on the jokes)I trained and gave training over the years on all the "classic " techniques , ie quick stop, bear away, etc

My own view now based on some real life experiences and playing with the dummy in some heavy weather, is that the key key thing is not to get far away from the victim. Stop the boat at all costs as quickly as possible. The most difficult is under spinaker, but then just blow it out etc.

The biggest problem with the clasical techniques is that they take you too far away from the victim. in any seaway spotting a floating head is extraordinary difficult and even with MOB co-ords, its difficult.

Once the boat is stoped and the vicitm is in sight , this gives enormous moral support to the MOB, throw the usual toys at them and then tidy the boat. Under normal conditions motor back. Its too easy to goof up under sail , especially short handed and in the "go around" loose sight of the victim.

If the MOB is consious and can swim , stop nearby, if not you will be faced with putting a man in the water, this is a very difficult choice and not one to be entered into lightly. But its the only way to rescue a un consious person. Trying to maneouver close is a very dodgy process ina sea way.

The bucket and fender is about the most unrealistic approximation that has ever been taught off.

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The bucket and fender is about the most unrealistic approximation that has ever been taught off.
Can you elaborate? I assume that "taught" is meant to be "thought."

Most MOB I practice I have seen has been with a cushion or fender that blows off much faster than a person. A bucket (or other small sea anchor) and a good size fender (float) has worked much more realistically in my practical experience. If you have something different and better that is based on something meaningful (either empirical or analytic) I'd like to hear about it please.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I used to be pretty lax about doing the drill with new folks aboard until I went overboard myself hauling in the dink over the stern. I had just had each crew member do a round up and retrieve drill not half an hour before and they managed to come about and come back for me, but at about 6 knots under sail! The spotter was on the bow and saw me go by the side of the boat and nearly hit me with the horseshoe ring. I managed to reach up and grab a stanchion nearly dislocating my shoulder but hung on and with their help got back aboard.
Ever since then, I have done the drill with new crew, particularly on deliveries where we weren't familiar with the boat. With the new MOB nav assists, it is an easy and fun drill that the crew enjoy taking part in.
I encourage all skippers to require new crew run through the drill. I'm was not worried about picking one of them up but more interested in them picking up me! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22   #12

Se Also:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ures-3040.html
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And after the 3-ring circus subsides, explain the virtues of jacklines. At night, in seriously bad weather, or singlehanding it's often academic.

You don't fall off a cliff and live; there's no acceptable reason to fall off a boat.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Every Spring.

5 gallon bucket and a big round fender. Haven't lost one yet.
Ring buoy with/without dirtiest hat aboard here. We sail around five knots in 13 knots of wind, on a reach, say, and the designated "thrower" does the deed while I start the stopwatch. My kid is designated "pointer" at the "MOB" and my wife and I do, or attempt to do, a "Quick Stop" and sail back to attempt a hook "rescue", but from amidships with the ladder deployed.

We try to get this done by the end of May, because Lake Ontario is still freakin' cold at that point, and it makes a bigger impression when the retrieved object is dripping fridge-temperature water all over you.

From the bigger boat (currently on land), we will need a different test as the topsides are too high to easily scramble aboard. I think a sling on the boom would work, but I'll have to think about it. As I fell off (for the first time) a toerail while docking a Catalina 47 last spring (you plummet surprisingly far down until the inflating PFD pops you back up, I will have plenty to consider.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:54   #15

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Not as often as we should, but,.

Every time we go out with new people, we do an MOB drill soon after clearing the lake into Galveston Bay. We throw 2 milk jugs tied together with a 3' piece of line, one juf empty, the other full of water to act like a sea anchor to cut down wind drift. Been thinking about painting the floating jug a darker color to make it harder to see.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob